TMQ column Bills mention .... not kind to Buddy!

merlin

http://espn.go.com/n...-tougher-safety

...The Bills have suffered under a succession of bland head coaches and time-server front-office types such as Bumbling Buddy Nix, who seemed perfectly content to lose. Bumbling Buddy squandered the third overall choice of the 2011 draft on Marcell Dareus, a journeyman; the next four gentlemen selected were A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones and Aldon Smith, all Pro Bowlers. Nix wasted the second choice of the 2011 second round on Aaron Williams, a journeyman; the next two players selected were Pro Bowler Andy Dalton and Super Bowl star Colin Kaepernick. Just to prove it was no fluke, Nix used Buffalo's third-round pick of 2011 for linebacker Kelvin Sheppard, passing on the better-regarded linebacker Martez Wilson. Sheppard is
, as The Eagles would say. In another draft, Nix threw a second-round choice out the window on Torell Troup, who has two career starts; the next person selected was Pro Bowler Rob Gronkowski, who's even from Buffalo. Every NFL general manager makes a dumb pick now and then. Bumbling Buddy seemed actively to avoid the blue-chip prospects.....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dareus is a journeyman already?

dalton is a top notch qb?

we passed on Martez Wilson is now an indictment?

no mention of spiller?

hmmmm... i wont argue that nix was all homeruns, but i question this writers integrity with that paragraph.

Edited by NoSaint

Pretty crappy article. I would expect nothing less from ESPN though.

I'm surprised there's no mention of ESPN's other staples of Bills reporting like us "trading up" for a 4th round rated QB in EJ and drafting a guard to play left tackle.

Edited by biglukes

Wow, did Easterbrook really write this? He's gone way downhill.

The book on Dareus has not been finished, and if that team had drafted a WR or a CB I think I might have turned in my fan membership card.

Dareus was the right pick at the time and is versatile enough to prove his worth in this defense. And to ignore his personal struggles last year is to be completely obtuse.

Aaron Williams may yet be a useful safety, and yes, the non-mention of Spiller is a pretty good indictment of this column.

Just as the Harbaugh-led Niners get a lot of credit for effectively using players that were already there, this new regime may also profit from some decent Nix moves with a better coach to work with. Nix also brought in Whaley, whose work is being praised here.

Nix's big mistake was hiring Gailey, who was never a bad guy, probably would have been better suited to OC and may have been the only good person who would take the job.

The fact that this hiring cycle actually proved the Bills HC job to something of a hot commodity speaks volumes, and is not really Nix's fault personally.

Pretty crappy article. I would expect nothing less from ESPN though.

I'm surprised there's no mention of ESPN's other staples of Bills reporting like us "trading up" for a 4th round rated QB in EJ and drafting a guard to play left tackle.

Good more bad. I like being treated like garbage. Fuel the fire they get no respect b.c they don't deserve any. Fight for it every play of every game.

You guys realize Easterbrook is a Buffalo native and unabashed Bills fan right? The article may be off base and skewed to prove his point that Buddy was a "bumbler" but this wasn't a ESPN drive by Buffalo piece.

I think you have to play just decently for 2 or more teams in order to be considered a journeyman. While Dareus and A. Williams would be #1 picks in a journeyman to be draft, they are not there yet.

You guys realize Easterbrook is a Buffalo native and unabashed Bills fan right? The article may be off base and skewed to prove his point that Buddy was a "bumbler" but this wasn't a ESPN drive by Buffalo piece.

yea, its just that easterbrook isnt very good. im not sure that makes it any better for espn though.

I was aware of that, which is why I was more confused by it.

yea, its just that easterbrook isnt very good. im not sure that makes it any better for espn though.

Easterbrook has a rambling style that can be entertaining (I did enjoy his columns for a while), but he seems to come up with conclusions and blanket rules first, then force everything into that framework. I can't read his columns any more because he just doesn't bring any insight, just glib generalizations.

People who use hindsight to criticize draft picks are morons. I'm glad Buddy is gone, so that's no defense of his decisions...but people make it sound like it was just so obvious who the probowlers were going to be at the time of the draft. Horsehockey.

Easterbrook has a rambling style that can be entertaining (I did enjoy his columns for a while), but he seems to come up with conclusions and blanket rules first, then force everything into that framework. I can't read his columns any more because he just doesn't bring any insight, just glib generalizations.

yup. not a fan of his for a variety of reasons.

Even under the loosest of terms, a 3rd year starter at DT who has only played for one team in his brief career can in no way be considered a journeyman. That is just absurd,

Yeah, my first thought was doesn't journeyman mean well traveled?

Anyone who didn't want Dareus is a fool. Why hasn't he mentioned that years #1? Newton is sucking some donkey...

Gronkowski was a high risk /high reward player. When he is out of the league in 3 years...the reward better already be had.

Aaron Williams was said to have been great value, per ESPN heads.

This article is horribly balanced between hindsight and lobbing softball grenades at mistakes gone by...

Let's see how Buddy's defensive picks look in Mike Pettine's D. Jerry Hughes for Sheppard might be historic--in the realm of Lewis for Seymore. If they still look underwhelming, then the Nix legacy will be as well. If the D is top 10 in the near future, Marrone is a hit and EJ justifies his draft position, then Nix will be properly viewed as the man who set the table.

"History is written by the victors."

as5.gifWinston Churchill

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Agreed. As I'm sure you are aware, one of his constants is his antipathy toward blitzing. However, I don't recall seeing him singing Wanstandstill's praises for the complete excuse of a defense we had last year. Of course, the first time we give up a big play on a blitz this year, he'll be jumping all over us.