TMQ column Bills mention .... not kind to Buddy!

merlin

Let's see how Buddy's defensive picks look in Mike Pettine's D. Jerry Hughes for Sheppard might be historic--in the realm of Lewis for Seymore. If they still look underwhelming, then the Nix legacy will be as well. If the D is top 10 in the near future, Marrone is a hit and EJ justifies his draft position, then Nix will be properly viewed as the man who set the table.

“History is written by the victors.”

as5.gifWinston Churchill

Ha! :lol: This reminds me of a quote from the recently fired GM from the Toronto Maple Leafs Brian Burke who said "sometimes you set the table and someone else gets to eat at it" Classic! And you're quote saying Nix will be viewed as the man who set the table is well, perfect :thumbsup: Good line. Thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think the article is off base one bit. He nails it out the head about the Buffalo BIlls and i have been a fan since i was born. Buddy Nix was a moron point blank, i never seen the how the draft picks panned out after our selections, this just proves that buddy nix is a MORON. No need to take offense to the article or the writer he has legitmate facts about how bumbling our bills have been for over the past decade

I dont think the article is off base one bit. He nails it out the head about the Buffalo BIlls and i have been a fan since i was born. Buddy Nix was a moron point blank, i never seen the how the draft picks panned out after our selections, this just proves that buddy nix is a MORON. No need to take offense to the article or the writer he has legitmate facts about how bumbling our bills have been for over the past decade

So you give him credit for nothing? I believe that's kind of MORONIC especially after people here have pointed out the good that he did. Some people also seem to forget just how empty our cupboards were. I loved the CJ pick and my friends hated it. I said we need a dynamic game changer and he could be it. They would say we have Fred. I love Fred but he isn't that and is arguably on the downside already. The rb, a wr, and a qb added to what we have and maybe we have something going. Look at where we are. Thanks Buddy :thumbsup:

Agree 100%. I used to look forward to TMQ, now I rarely read it.

I remember the excitement and general all around good feeling when Dareus was drafted. Calling him a journeyman at this point is a little bit of a surprise to me.

Doubt that he meant it literally. But, Dareus did play like a journeyman last year. Or, if you prefer an invisible man.

LMAO

No he wasn't ...

Go look at the 2009 final rister and realized we did well over a 90% roster change over since he arrives..

No GM hits on them all but I'm thankful we got Nix, and I have little issue with what he did here... Went all in on COwher was really thonly blunder, but I'm glad he tried hard to get him here......

People who use hindsight to criticize draft picks are morons. I'm glad Buddy is gone, so that's no defense of his decisions...but people make it sound like it was just so obvious who the probowlers were going to be at the time of the draft. Horsehockey.

And what should one use to criticize draft picks, if not hindsight? Or are we not allowed to criticize them at all?

Dareus was a great pick for the Bills. Filled a big need and was considered a blue chip prospect by pretty much everyone. I remember Mike Mayock saying he was the best player in the draft after the selection. That said, his play has been a big disappointment. Knowing what they know now, no way would the Bills draft him at #3 again. I have been critical of Nix but this pick was not his fault. Dareus can play in the NFL, he's just an average defensive tackle and not the impact player Bills nation hoped he would be.

Dareus was a great pick for the Bills. Filled a big need and was considered a blue chip prospect by pretty much everyone. I remember Mike Mayock saying he was the best player in the draft after the selection. That said, his play has been a big disappointment. Knowing what they know now, no way would the Bills draft him at #3 again. I have been critical of Nix but this pick was not his fault. Dareus can play in the NFL, he's just an average defensive tackle and not the impact player Bills nation hoped he would be.

Like all nix's picks except spiller.

So it would be Buddy's fault only if he had been considered a "reach"at the time of the draft? I don't understand the logic.

Troup looks like a bad pick as Terrence Cody and Gronk would likely have been better picks, even at the time it was thought of as poor value as many thought he could have been taken in the early 3rd or later 2nd. Sheppard was traded for Jerry Hughes which could look like a steal, and not drafting Martez Wilson over him is not a mistake because Wilson was regarded higher.

BUT If Spiller stays healthy, Carrington turns out to be a stud, Moats proves to be at least a very good backup, Easley contributes, Dareus plays up to pro-bowl form, and A.Williams carves out a role on the defense Nix's first two drafts don't look too bad.

Was Troup a bad pick? Yes. However what happens to the math if Troup becomes a serviceable journeyman in this league and Gronk never plays football again? Just a thought.

As for Terrence Cody, last I looked he's still not a starter but only a rotational player.

I agree buddy's worst decision was chan. Or at least accepting chans delusional notion that fitz could work. They should have performed their "exhaustive" search for a qb three years ago. Hopefully better late than never.

As for buddy's picks I really don't have a real problem. The draft is like a box of chocolates....

While you were incorrect about Carrington taking Kyle's job, this is a really good point.

Every GM has hits and misses. Buddy's tenure will be marked by his faith in Chan Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick. The correct point has been made in this forum a million times: talent across the NFL is fairly even. What separates winners from losers are coaching and quarterbacking.

Put a good coach and a good quarterback on a bad team and look how many journeymen suddenly become Pro Bowlers.

Doubt that he meant it literally. But, Dareus did play like a journeyman last year. Or, if you prefer an invisible man.

You are right that Dareus was a pedestrian player last year. Were family and emotional issues factors for his ineffectiveness? Probably so. It is going to be interesting to watch how Dareus plays this year. If he bounces back as an interior anchor for the DL then he is going to be an important player for the defense. If he plays at the level that he did last year then the bust designation could be fairly attached to him, especially considering how high he was drafted. I suspect that Pettine is not the type of coach to be patient with non-performing players and won't be hesitant to replace struggling players.

Was Troup a bad pick? Yes. However what happens to the math if Troup becomes a serviceable journeyman in this league and Gronk never plays football again? Just a thought.

An interesting thought. Personally, I think even Gronkowski's 2011 alone is more valuable than a 10-year career as backup/journeyman DT. Would you rather have Mike Lodish for his whole 11-year career, or 1 year of a healthy Gronkowski? I definitely take the 1 year of Gronkowski and hope I find another good TE once he gets hurt. With Lodish, I know what he'll give me, but that's not much of an upgrade over replacement level. How many games does it cost me to replace Lodish with Lauvale Sape? I'm guessing like 1-2 over 11 years, max. But if I replace 2011 Gronkowski with Visanthe Shiancoe, I probably lose a few extra games just in that season.

Agreed, it's a terrible article, seemingly written by one with a vendetta. But I am concerned Dareus isn't going to blossom into the dominant DL we all thought and worthy of 3rd overall. I know all the stories on and off the field about him, but I only see flashes of possibilities and occasional bad play.

Hoping Pettine & Co. can bring out his best consistently.

How is that going to happen when Carrington is going to take Dareus' job. Dareus is going to eat his way out of the NFL. Did you see his fat gut? You wouldn't really make that bet would you? I would be happy to take your money.

really? Have you seen that bug man run? We drafted him because he is giant AND athletic for his size.

The fairest way to judge draft picks is not when they are made but after a few years when they have been given a reasonable opportunity to develop and perform. There are a number of people who criticized the Spiller pick when it was made for a variety of reasons. But many of the critics of that pick (not all) now acknowledge that it was a very good pick. Those instant draft scores given by the analysts immediately after the draft are very frequently way off the mark. It is much fairer to grade a draft three years after the selections than shortly after when the selections were made.

Of course, I totally agree...but that's different than acting as if the players we see today were known to be this good (or bad) at the time of the draft.

And what should one use to criticize draft picks, if not hindsight? Or are we not allowed to criticize them at all?

You're not understanding my point. Of course you evaluate a draft after the picks have had the opportunity to play. But to make it sound like things were just so plainly obvious at the time of the draft that Buddy or anyone else had their head up their arse, it's asinine.