Which Gas attack did POTUS Really Really Really Mean Would be a Trigge

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Russia is blocking the way in the UN, the Coalition of the Willing is becoming more like a Coalition of the Maybes, and Congress isn't too keen on military action

At least Bush had Congressional support, UN support, and international allies. Maybe they should have given Bush the Nobel prize instead

At least Bush had Congressional support, UN support, and international allies. Maybe they should have given Bush the Nobel prize instead

You sure about that? I know it was a decade ago, but I keep reading that Bush lied and acted unilaterally.

So Russia is blocking the way in the UN, the Coalition of the Willing is becoming more like a Coalition of the Maybes, and Congress isn't too keen on military action

You talking about Iraq or Afghanistan? Because Bush didn't have UN support for Iraq.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/dem-congressman-constitution-requires-congressional-authorization-use-force-against-syria_751350.html

"The Constitution requires that, barring an attack on the United States or an imminent threat to the U.S., any decision to use military force can only be made by Congress -- not by the President. The decision to go to war -- and we should be clear, launching a military strike on another country, justified or not, is an act of war -- is reserved by the Constitution to the American people acting through their elected representatives in Congress.

Since there is no imminent threat to the United States, there is no legal justification for bypassing the Constitutionally-required Congressional authorization. “Consultation” with Congress is not sufficient. The Constitution requires Congressional authorization."

The Constitution requires Congressional authorization."

why would this administration suddenly begin to respect the constraints of the US constitution? it's not like it's ever mattered to them before.

Edited by Azalin

why would this administration suddenly begin to respect the constraints of the US constitution? it's not like it's ever mattered to them before.

I found the quote to be relevant because it comes from Democratic congressman Jerrold Nadler, who is the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice.

I found the quote to be relevant because it comes from Democratic congressman Jerrold Nadler, who is the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice.

oh, I understand and agree with your point. it's just the complete lack of respect from this administration toward constitutional restraint often inspires bursts of sarcasm on my part.