Leslie Frazier upset at Bills coaches

"Hey Doug, I'd like to make sure our boys get some practice in, but no blitzing, OK?"

Do they not do blitzing in practice?

How will they ever learn?

Exactly what I was thinking. What are the Bills suppose to do practice a defense that they won't be playing?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me this is a great example of a headline shooting for effect...you can watch Frazier's interview on the Vike's website....and to say he was upset is reading some into the expression on his face and reading alot into his words...his team wasn't ready for what they saw on the field and he didn't have an answer when asked the question regarding how exotic the Bill's played defense...instead of upset i would have said "bewildered"... i think the real takeaway from the interview was Frazier's team didn't come prepared to play against a motivated Bill's defense...

Nothing wrong with that, but it will ruffle some feathers. Might also give us a little bit of an overconfidence come September when teams start spending extensive time putting together game plans to beat buffalo instead of game plans to see if their LT can play on an island or backup running back runs good enough routes to be in more often or....

I'm not knocking marrones approach, I like it, just discussing its effect on preseason evaluations vs regular. I like building up that energy and swagger with the defense early. They need an attitude and identity, and its starting to come together a little.

I hear you but respectfully disagree. Gotta agree with Beerball and GG this time - finally for once we're going into the season with some confidence, even if it's overconfidence. It's so much better than the opposite, which we've seen around here for years. Gailey and Jauron used to whine about what the other teams were doing to unfairly terrorize them during the preseason. It was such chickensh--. And it set the tone for the regular season when their teams played not to lose, like cowards. Good riddance to the Losers' Mentality and I feel bad for Vikings fans. We've been there.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

The Bills have to get ready for the season, new season, new front office, new coaches, new players, and thank God a new attitude. It's preseason for crying outloud who cares what Leslie thinks! The Bills have a lot of new faces and schemes to get ready and I think we may see a lot more surprises (roster cuts and moves). The Bills ned to send the message to the rest of the AFC East and league that they aren't going to lay down and roll over.

I hear you but respectfully disagree. Gotta agree with Beerball and GG this time - finally for once we're going into the season with some confidence, even if it's overconfidence. It's so much better than the opposite, which we've seen around here for years. Gailey and Jauron used to whine about what the other teams were doing to unfairly terrorize them during the preseason. It was such chickensh--. And it set the tone for the regular season when their teams played not to lose, like cowards. Good riddance to the Losers' Mentality and I feel bad for Vikings fans. We've been there.

I agree too...its hard to effectively do much of anything with some of these overload blitzes he is bringing other than trying to throw hot very quickly...

I mean when you are rushing three guys from one side of the formation and they only have one guy to block, leaving two offensive lineman on the other side standing there with nothing to do because there is noone to block, what can they do?

Throw hot or hope to hell our guys trip...no way possibly to shift that far over with a line...would have to keep backs and TE in otherwise and shift them over and basically take them out of the play...plus Mario Williams on a back or TE is a huge mismatch...

That's what I see the biggest advantage of this defense...creating huge mismatches...putting the tackle up against a DT and forcing a back or TE to block our best pass rushers

I'm excited about this D but week 1 has me worried. Brady eats aggressive, blitzing defenses for breakfast and belches up TDs at the end of his meal. Disguising where the rush is coming from is good but I'm not sure sending 5-7 guys is against him 70% of the time is.

I want the Bills to blitz Brady because he he has been carving the Bills passive D for years now. Payback is a mofo they say....

Even if he does get some plays off on us?? But those QB pressures is gonna have an effect on how he plays, he is not a mobile QB by any means anymore. Make him move around now and he wont just sitting back there calling us some Bitches during the game. ( Remember last year??)

I hope Petine blitzes Brady until he throws up. :D

Here's the video of Frazier's post game presser.

You can't judge his comments without seeing the video and listening to the audio.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Frazier-We-Definitely-Have-Work-To-Do/6e4d09fb-5df0-446f-9972-50137847fd0f

You have to know what questions were asked.

It's at about 1:35.

Frazier smiled about it and was very calm and philosophical.

The reporters wouldn't drop the issue.

Frazier's a very positive human being.

I worded it poorly - I meant us on the board being over confident in expectations. I love the players building up the confidence and attitude. I was more getting at some folks expecting the same level of production out of guys once teams start game planning for us. If we are preparing more aggressively than the opponents now, odds are that gap will close a lot come September. Might see a few "camp heros" fade once an opposong coordinator is focusing on our guys instead of his own guys for instance.

Nothing wrong, just a thought that may be relevant in projecting past performance to future

exactly...a veteran head coach with a veteran team that has been through this before, maybe you don't game plan...but rookie coaching staff, rookie laden team, 13 years of futility, you need to prove yourself out of the gate and the gate starts at OTA.

Dumb comments by Frazier, why even say that? No ish the Bills are going to do what they want, entirely new staff and new team... No time to go basic vanilla every snap when that is not what you are going to do when the season rolls around..

I like this approach 10x better.. will be more prepared for the season.. Vikings will need AP to go for 2,000 yards again to be somewhat respectable.. Ponder is trash.

I'm excited about this D but week 1 has me worried. Brady eats aggressive, blitzing defenses for breakfast and belches up TDs at the end of his meal. Disguising where the rush is coming from is good but I'm not sure sending 5-7 guys is against him 70% of the time is.

I think blitzing is exactly what ya have to do with Marcia. Once ya start getting to him he throws it away a lot. He is very feminine and gets real nervous when he gets hit. His receivers suck. I think the biggest think will be stopping their running game

For a new coaching staff, the preseason is the opportunity to practice doing a game plan together. This is legitimate , and Frazier has a staff in his third? year....so they have done that before. If Marrone was practicing the game planning activity, that means they will be better at it come opening day. Marrone had it RIGHT!

Here's the video of Frazier's post game presser.

You can't judge his comments without seeing the video and listening to the audio.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Frazier-We-Definitely-Have-Work-To-Do/6e4d09fb-5df0-446f-9972-50137847fd0f

You have to know what questions were asked.

It's at about 1:35.

Frazier smiled about it and was very calm and philosophical.

The reporters wouldn't drop the issue.

Frazier's a very positive human being.

Are you saying TG threw another hissy fit article?

Are you saying TG threw another hissy fit article?

No. I wasn't really suggesting that.

What I was suggesting was that there were 70 comments/opinions about a quote by people who most likely didn't see the video and therefore can't really judge Frazier's comments based on reading them in print.

Beat me to it. The exactly same thing was said on the opposite sideline one year ago when vikings ran a track meet against the Bills.

I don't remember Gailey saying anything of the sort. Got a link?

Edited by Thurmal34

There's talk about all the blitzing in preseason on Sirius right now; it's becoming how it's done. Welcome to 2013, Vikings. If I were a Vikings fan it would scare the crap out of me that they're not ready for blitzing Ds - the season is like 3 weeks away...

Ross Tucker just tweeted "Mike. Pettine. MT: @NFL_ATL: Christian Ponder: 'Exotic' Bills defense 'hard for us to identify'"

Better do some homework!