Around the NFL Preseason observations (week 2)

I predicted the Steelers would not be very good last year, and that proved to be true. However, I believe the way they finished the season has motivated Big Ben, and the influx of young talent on the defensive side of the ball has me thinking they will at least compete for a wild card -- if not the division title.

Their OL is weak, the receiving corps lost Wallace, their RB situation is unsettled, and they'll be relying on many youngsters on defense. I think they're another year away from contending for the playoffs, much less division.

They're not much different than the team that made the playoffs 2yrs ago. They were terrible in close games last year. I think they'll be better than the Vikings this year.

Vanden Bosch and Avril are gone and they were huge for them that year. On offense it's basically Megatron.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been living in Los Angeles for quite some time, now (Born and raised in Rochester), so I've had to suffer through more than my fair share of Chargers football. And I will say this: every year, the thought of enduring another season of that whiney, finger-pointing, pouty, head-case Phillip Rivers makes me cringe. The guy's got a great arm, no doubt. He's talented. But, that constant exp<b></b>ression, like he's been sucking on a sour pickle, and the speed at which he will cuss out his fellow players for whatever he feels is their fault- never his- has, IMO, poisoned his career.

I don't agree about Cutler, though. I think he's going to be around for a while, yet.

I will tell you that the entire Southwest Coast was happy to see Norv Turner finally sent packing.

Norv is a horrible head coach but a very good OC...some people are great at their job but not great at managing the entire operation...

So is Brandon Weeden good at quarterbacking now? His stats this preseason are really good.

Browns could be a good team

He wasn't RG3 or Russ Wilson but I thought Weeden was solid as a rookie. I think he's better than Tannehill & he had junk to throw to. Throw in Richardson, who's a stud, & Norv as the OC, they can be a very solid team.

Wow, Carolina did not look impressive. You'll see the highlights of Cam throwing well, and he did, mostly against subs and 2nd stringers. Phili was up and down but Carolina stunk in the first half from what I watched.

Who was it saying Cam Newton was the greatest NFL QB? Ryan L. Bills? Wow. And he accused me of being blind to Fitz's failings. I've seen sandlot QBs play with more discipline.

PTR

eball I think the are an old team, getting older regardless of some nice prospects and they play in a tough division that is only getting tougher. Hey, if I am wrong then I don't mind it. I like the Steelers.

I got to agree.

What if the Bengals finish first and the Browns second. Steelers and Ravens fight it out for last? Crazy? Maybe....but i think this could be that kind of year.

Steelers and Ravens are not what they have been.

Who was it saying Cam Newton was the greatest NFL QB? Ryan L. Bills? Wow. And he accused me of being blind to Fitz's failings. I've seen sandlot QBs play with more discipline.

PTR

PTR, I normally agree with you but man, you are falling into the overreact to preseason crowd. They are installing a new offense. In case you missed it, do some research on Newton. They finished 6-1 & he has set the record for most passing yards for a Qb his first 2 years & NFL record for most rushing tds for a qb.

Again, if EJ is close to as good as Cam, it is an amazing draft pick. And as others have said, we probably have more talented team than Carolina.

PTR, I normally agree with you but man, you are falling into the overreact to preseason crowd. They are installing a new offense. In case you missed it, do some research on Newton. They finished 6-1 & he has set the record for most passing yards for a Qb his first 2 years & NFL record for most rushing tds for a qb.

Again, if EJ is close to as good as Cam, it is an amazing draft pick. And as others have said, we probably have more talented team than Carolina.

I didn't know about the new offense.

Watching the Fins-Jags replay while I work today - and man the Dolphins look really bad on offense. No protection from the O-Line and Tannehill running for his life. I can see Pettine's Defense really steamrolling the Fins ! :w00t:

Sure looks like it will be a defensive game when we play em.

I got to agree.

What if the Bengals finish first and the Browns second. Steelers and Ravens fight it out for last? Crazy? Maybe....but i think this could be that kind of year.

Steelers and Ravens are not what they have been.

Regardless of predictions, its gonna be a tough division to gain seperation for awhile i think. Thats good for everyone .

I heard Todd and BBen kissed and made up. all better. never count the steelers out they have a very good structure in place to bounce back up quickly.

Our division is our first concern i think. I was saying the fins might have something this year . at least treading water and game planned for !

We dont know what we have here yet as a future with the Brand New Bills. But the way our division is shaping up this season, we should be taking adavantage. This is the weakest i have seen Pats Dolphins and Jets as a group in quite awhile.

Not a threadjack I hope . I kinda want to watch Denver this year they seem to be a team to watch . I wonder if they will miss Dumervil ?

go bills gotta turn the radio on now go bills

Turn Back the Attack of the Nords !!

Edited by 3rdand12