CNN/SI and USA Today pieces on EJ Manuel

The CNN/SI piece is written by Doug Farrar whose work I associate with Yahoo's "Shutdown Corner" column.

Not sure if he's changed jobs but he's a pretty knowledgeable writer.

Enjoy.

http://nfl.si.com/20...ction=si_latest

On Monday, Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage said on ESPN that when he put together the rosters for the all-star event, he received alerts from several schools that Manuel was not one of the top six senior quarterbacks in the country, and he should be passed over.

Also Jarrett Bell of USA Today wrote a piece on EJ for Monday's edition. He confirms the reports that EJ's radio helmet went dead on the two-minute drill:

http://www.usatoday....manuel/2641577/

Then came an interesting twist on the learning curve for the Buffalo Bills rookie. The radio receiver in his helmet went dead.

Again.

It happened twice to Manuel during his one half of work, with the second instance occurring while he was in the midst of directing a confidence-building, makeup job of a 92-yard touchdown drive just before halftime of a 44-20 victory against the Indianapolis Colts.

"He didn't mess around," Bills coach Doug Marrone told USA TODAY Sports. "He just went on and called the play."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really hoping this kid is the find that we all hope he is. While we seem to have been here before over the past decade there seems to be something different and special about what the Bills are doing. I am finally starting to have whispers of hope.

A couple of really nice articles.

It is really nice to confirm that EJ functioned really well when he had to call his own plays. K-Gun anyone? *is immediately told to shut up*

But seriously, I think we all know the old K-Gun wouldn't work again, but I would be delighted if we could update that here.

both articles where pretty good...what caught my attention was in the second article about how Marrone saying that he wont give Kolb extra time/reps to catch back up..so basically if Kolb doesn't step it up he could be sitting on the bench this year..or on his couch.

I really wonder if the helmet radio receiver malfunction thing was accidental, or by design.

wonder if we'll ever get the real answer on that...I read somewhere it went out twice on E.J. but no word on it going out on Tuel at all...gets you wondering :)

wonder if we'll ever get the real answer on that...I read somewhere it went out twice on E.J. but no word on it going out on Tuel at all...gets you wondering :)

The situation certainly creates an opportunity for a coaching staff to test the poise, and play calling ability of their rookie QB. If it was done by design, EJ certainly passed the test.

good article and i thought same thing about Manuel's run settling him down a bit

But seriously, I think we all know the old K-Gun wouldn't work again, but I would be delighted if we could update that here.

why wouldnt the old K-Gun work again?

thats basically what they are doing with the fast pace and formation

I saw two plays where EJ gave the universal hand signal that he couldn't hear the radio call. Not sure if there were other plays that we're so affected too, but the overall effect of the technical glitches on our starting QB's play was nil.

Bottom line with EJ is we don't know quite what we have here. But at least one thing is certain, he's a gifted athlete that's a leader. We haven't had one of those playing QB here since Jim Kelly retired.

I like Marrone's comments. I think he realizes EJ is not a weak minded guy. Marrone gave EJ praise but also said 'you hope it translates into better things to come..' for what he did in the 2 min drill.

One game does not make EJ the guy us fans have been looking for. If he can build on it he will help all of us forget the past 13 years.

When EJ was drafted, I really expected Kolb to be the starter on opening day even though I appreciated EJ's potential. Now, however, for all the obvious reasons, I think Kolb will under center against the Pats. It's still very early in preseason but EJ is developing nicely so far.

Seems for some reason not many people wanted to give him a chance. How does a kid with size, speed, talent and mental make up, not have more people in his corner? I mean like banging his drum.

I think what happened with people not giving EJ a chance has to do with a couple of things. The preception of the FSU offense is that it is simple and EJ was inconsistent in a simple offense. So that led to the opinion that although EJ was athletic enough, smart enough, he was raw. Everything we all read or heard pre draft was that although EJ had the greatest upside, he was not NFL ready. I thing with the media there is a lot of group thinking, if a few write or say it, then everybody follows suit. It is easier to say the same thing everyone else is than do your own reaserch.

As far as FSU is concerned, I don't think that offense is simple. Yes it is a very limited number of plays but they are run out of multiple formations. EJ did not have a very good relationship with Fisher. I believe that the relationship between a head coach and his QB is paramount. I don't believe EJ was suited to Fishers offense and their relationship, or lack there of is what contributed to EJ being inconsistent. This in turn led to EJ being labeled as "not NFL ready".

Edited by chris heff

I think what happened with people not giving EJ a chance has to do with a couple of things. The preception of the FSU offense is that it is simple and EJ was inconsistent in a simple offense. So that led to the opinion that although EJ was athletic enough, smart enough, he was raw. Everything we all read or heard pre draft was that although EJ had the greatest upside, he was not NFL ready. I thing with the media there is a lot of group thinking, if a few write or say it, then everybody follows suit. It is easier to say the same thing everyone else is than do your own reaserch.

As far as FSU is concerned, I don't think that offense is simple. Yes it is a very limited number of plays but they are run out of multiple formations. EJ did not have a very good relationship with Fisher. I believe that the relationship between a head coach and his QB is tantamount. I don't believe EJ was suited to Fishers offense and their relationship, or lack there of is what contributed to EJ being inconsistent. This in turn led to EJ being labeled as "not NFL ready".

Holy crap, that was awesome.

I never saw EJ play. All I have is stats. I realize stats don't tell the whole story. EJ finished with a high completion percentage and also won the bowl games he attended. My question is what kind inconsistently did he have?

You seem to know what you're talking about.

As far as FSU is concerned, I don't think that offense is simple. Yes it is a very limited number of plays but they are run out of multiple formations. EJ did not have a very good relationship with Fisher. I believe that the relationship between a head coach and his QB is tantamount . I don't believe EJ was suited to Fishers offense and their relationship, or lack there of is what contributed to EJ being inconsistent. This in turn led to EJ being labeled as "not NFL ready".

Excellent post! Thanks for the thoughts. (That said, I think you meant paramount, not tantamount. :rolleyes: )