I See No Reason To Temper Enthusiasm

Given the repetitive failures of this team over the last decade, it's hard not to be excited about change. I don't take as much from the victory and the success on the field as I do the approach taken by coaches. Notwithstanding the final score, the coaches pushed the starting offense through 2 quarters. They're getting them ready to play now and seeing what guys can do. My enthusiasm/optimism is that we're going to know exactly what we're going to see on the field once the regular season starts. Should EJ struggle against all of the first team defenses that he faces, I will have less optimism to start the season. If this first game was simply that in being first NFL game jitters, and we see him calmer and more poised next time out there, I will frankly be ecstatic. As far as the negative nancy trolls are concerned, it's easier to ignore them. Certainly not worth the effort of quoting them to have their comments re-stated for the board.

I loved the look on Marrone's face after Brooks taunting penalty...looked like he was going to kill him...

Also loved the ass chewing he gave David Snow after the botched 3rd down snap that forced a FG from inside the 10 yard line even though we were leading by 20 points or so...

No let down..no drop off no matter how big a lead or how much they are winning by...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There once was a team that fired their SB winning coach after a terrible 5-11 season, got a rookie QB that people called a reach and a first time head coach. They went to the playoffs 5 straight years, with at least one win per year and then won the SB.

Why not the Bills?

This team has been absolute garbage for more than 10 years and even when those past teams put together a string of 4-5 games, you just never saw how they could keep it up. There was never a thought of wow, these guys have the talent to REALLY make some noise in this league.

Well, here we are after 1 pre-season game and I have no problem getting excited about what I saw yesterday. You know why, I have not been excited about this team in forever and it's a hell of a lot more fun to feel like this than being in the mindframe that the team is spinning its' wheels. I am not going to wait until they win the division or are viewed as a contender, I am going to fire up this train right now. Get ready folks, this team seems like it actually learns from its' mistakes and I have a great feeling about the coaching staff in general.

This is the fun part of being a Bills fan folks and if you can't bring yourself to be excited because you fear a letdown, then I urge you to let it loose. There will be ups and downs with this team but why not enjoy it while it's unfolding right in front of your eyes.....that parking lot for the home opener, ohhhhh myyyyyyyy

This train's got to run today!

Good avatar, good post. For me it's painful watching the Bills lose whether I'm expecting it or not, so I never saw the value in "keeping my expectations in check" in the preseason. Why not let your optimism run wild? If it works out great, if not it's gonna suck regardless.

Every year in pre-season every team in the league believes they are going to the playoffs. Every year in pre-season the fans get excited about their team's prospects for the new season. Bills fans are no different. Each year for the last thirteen seasons Bills fans have had similar feelings. You can search the archives and literally cut and paste the comments from previous seasons into this season and nobody would recognize the difference (except for the name changes)

The Bills must prove they are not losers in the regular season and playoffs before many fans will jump on the bandwagon. After one pre-season game with mostly substitutes and a lot of players who won't even make an NFL roster, I'll reserve my bandwagon seat for meaningful games.

I'm hopeful for the future, but I've seen this movie before.

I loved the look on Marrone's face after Brooks taunting penalty...looked like he was going to kill him...

Also loved the ass chewing he gave David Snow after the botched 3rd down snap that forced a FG from inside the 10 yard line even though we were leading by 20 points or so...

No let down..no drop off no matter how big a lead or how much they are winning by...

It would have been nice to see that, but I don't recall a single sideline shot of our bench from the Colts broadcast crew. And that's totally understandable that they keyed in on Pagano.

GO BILLS!!!

Man that's pretty cynical.... I feel for you. If you generate any excitement about what you saw yesterday I recommend some type of home project for the fall that consumes your Sundays

I love it how "optimists" do this when "pessimists" politely make their opinions known, but B word to high heaven when the reverse happens.

It was a good showing to be sure, particularly by the scrubs who thoroughly thrashed the colt scrubs. I was particularly impressed with Tuel.

But I'm not willing to make superbowl reservations any more than I would be predicting 0-16 had they looked bad.

Edited by CodeMonkey

It would have been nice to see that, but I don't recall a single sideline shot of our bench from the Colts broadcast crew. And that's totally understandable that they keyed in on Pagano.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure if there were multiple feeds or not, but I remember seeing Marrone a few times. Typically chewing someone out like the center after the fumble. They also showed Hackett in the box once at least. We had the Bills homer announcers on the time warner sports channel in Roch, maybe we had the Buffalo homer feed and you had the Indy?.

This team has been absolute garbage for more than 10 years and even when those past teams put together a string of 4-5 games, you just never saw how they could keep it up. There was never a thought of wow, these guys have the talent to REALLY make some noise in this league.

Well, here we are after 1 pre-season game and I have no problem getting excited about what I saw yesterday. You know why, I have not been excited about this team in forever and it's a hell of a lot more fun to feel like this than being in the mindframe that the team is spinning its' wheels. I am not going to wait until they win the division or are viewed as a contender, I am going to fire up this train right now. Get ready folks, this team seems like it actually learns from its' mistakes and I have a great feeling about the coaching staff in general.

This is the fun part of being a Bills fan folks and if you can't bring yourself to be excited because you fear a letdown, then I urge you to let it loose. There will be ups and downs with this team but why not enjoy it while it's unfolding right in front of your eyes.....that parking lot for the home opener, ohhhhh myyyyyyyy

Have fun with it! I hope they keep winning. If the starting QB is above average I think Spiller will run wild and we will have a chance in every game

Every year in pre-season every team in the league believes they are going to the playoffs. Every year in pre-season the fans get excited about their team's prospects for the new season. Bills fans are no different. Each year for the last thirteen seasons Bills fans have had similar feelings. You can search the archives and literally cut and paste the comments from previous seasons into this season and nobody would recognize the difference (except for the name changes)

The Bills must prove they are not losers in the regular season and playoffs before many fans will jump on the bandwagon. After one pre-season game with mostly substitutes and a lot of players who won't even make an NFL roster, I'll reserve my bandwagon seat for meaningful games.

LOL

People here are so funny. In fact, if the game yesterday had sucked, then they'd all be lecturing everyone on how it was just one preseason game.

LOL

People here are so funny. In fact, if the game yesterday had sucked, then they'd all be lecturing everyone on how it was just one preseason game.

You mean the same way people last year were saying that if you don't win in preseason that you can't win in the regular season and how ultra-super duper import ant preseason is?

Regardless, it's always good to temper expectation, positive or negative.

I love it how "optimists" do this when "pessimists" politely make their opinions known, but B word to high heaven when the reverse happens.

It was a good showing to be sure, particularly by the scrubs who thoroughly thrashed the colt scrubs. I was particularly impressed with Tuel.

But I'm not willing to make superbowl reservations any more than I would be predicting 0-16 had they looked bad.

I hate to put a wet blanket on the party, but Tuel ain't goin' anywhere in this league. I too was impressed, ... which should have been the first sign that the game was worth even less than anyone thinks.

I'm willin' to bet anything that come Nov., so many people here are going to be griping and moaning about the team for one reason or another, particularly about the play-calling, etc, the same things they're getting excited about now.

I'm also curious how the D is going to look after it ranks in the top four for most plays.

You mean the same way people last year were saying that if you don't win in preseason that you can't win in the regular season and how ultra-super duper import ant preseason is?

No, the way that those here use the word "troll" as if it applies to every breath, have this same optimism because the offense "looks faster" or the plays are better under Gailey, ... or Jauron, or whomever, anything bad is meaningless in preseason, but anything good is extrapolated and magnified 20x, but then in December those same people want to burn down the offices at OBD, fire everyone, ... as painfully as possible I might add, make sure that their home lives are ruined, etc.

Honestly, it's a real hoot, it's like a bi-polar reality show.

Not last year.

Im pretty sure I wasnt happy when rg3 scored on his 1st drive against us. I'm sure as hell pretty sure I was definitely not happy about losing 7-38 vs steelers in crucial preseason game #3.

Be happy man. Bet the farm no. But happy. Why not?

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

BTW, preseason has meaning, but wins are not a part of it

All that matters is how one's first team looks against anything resembling first-team talent. Yesterday it was anemic on both sides for two whopping series against a 1st team, and the D was even worse against the second team while the O managed to save some face on a single drive late in the 2nd Q after Indy had 3rds in the game. Draw any conclusions that you want. It tels me that the D is no different than last year, pending three more preseason games, and that the O, while not embarrassing itself, also did nothing worthy of note.

Again, I thought that, and think that, any such TD drive is good for a rookie QB, but minimally good, not "look out, here comes the next RGIII or Russell Wilson" good.

Meanwhile, some are talking about the speed of the O, did anyone look at the time of possession data while the O was "on crack?" If that keeps up the D is going to be on sedatives. Things like that are important to look at, but strangely, I don't see one single mention of it anywhere in the forums, and it's a lot more important than one single drive by the O's first team against 2's and 3's much less against a bunch of players that won't even have jobs come fall, on any team.

Anyway, not trying to rain on anyone's parade, nor dissuade anyone from calling me a troll since that brings some people here pleasure, but I do find it humorous and will await the commentary after next week's game and the rest of the season. If the team ends up not entertaining this year, reading the forums surely will. LOL

BTW, preseason has meaning, but wins are not a part of it

All that matters is how one's first team looks against anything resembling first-team talent. Yesterday it was anemic on both sides for two whopping series against a 1st team, and the D was even worse against the second team while the O managed to save some face on a single drive late in the 2nd Q after Indy had 3rds in the game. Draw any conclusions that you want. It tels me that the D is no different than last year, pending three more preseason games, and that the O, while not embarrassing itself, also did nothing worthy of note.

Again, I thought that, and think that, any such TD drive is good for a rookie QB, but minimally good, not "look out, here comes the next RGIII or Russell Wilson" good.

Meanwhile, some are talking about the speed of the O, did anyone look at the time of possession data while the O was "on crack?" If that keeps up the D is going to be on sedatives. Things like that are important to look at, but strangely, I don't see one single mention of it anywhere in the forums, and it's a lot more important than one single drive by the O's first team against 2's and 3's much less against a bunch of players that won't even have jobs come fall, on any team.

Anyway, not trying to rain on anyone's parade, nor dissuade anyone from calling me a troll since that brings some people here pleasure, but I do find it humorous and will await the commentary after next week's game and the rest of the season. If the team ends up not entertaining this year, reading the forums surely will. LOL

Maybe you are expecting our defense to have given up -50 yards all game. That simply doesnt happen. Receivers will catch. Rbs will run the ball. Tds will be scored against the defense. A lot of things to consider. Just cause you saw Luck make a few passes doenst mean they dominated us. Look at the tape again. We won in every facet of the game. How about the play from their tight end? It should have been a 20 yard reception. But I believe Brooks banged the crap out of the tight end and forced the fumble. The players were playing with energy. Energy that is usually demonstrated by the team facing the bills.

By the way normally I fast forward and just watch the plays. This time I heard the announcers. The only thing I fast forwarded were commercials. Here are Indy broadcasters, not bill fans, but Indy announcers repeating over and over, how the offense was fast paced and how we dominated the colts. So excuse us if some of us have a reason to be enthused. You should send a tweet to the Indy broadcasters. You will be surprised by how much positive feedback you'll get.

Edit: Did you not see Cj have a 9 yard average? He's not going to fumble every ball man. 9 yard average????? That is better than Bo numbers.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

Maybe you are expecting our defense to have given up -50 yards all game. That simply doesnt happen. Receivers will catch. Rbs will run the ball. Tds will be scored against the defense. A lot of things to consider. Just cause you saw Luck make a few passes doenst mean they dominated us. Look at the tape again. We won in every facet of the game. How about the play from their tight end? It should have been a 20 yard reception. But I believe Brooks banged the crap out of the tight end and forced the fumble. The players were playing with energy. Energy that is usually demonstrated by the team facing the bills.

By the way normally I fast forward and just watch the plays. This time I heard the announcers. The only thing I fast forwarded were commercials. Here are Indy broadcasters, not bill fans, but Indy announcers repeating over and over, how the offense was fast paced and how we dominated the colts. So excuse us if some of us have a reason to be enthused. You should send a tweet to the Indy broadcasters. You will be surprised by how much positive feedback you'll get.

Edit: Did you not see Cj have a 9 yard average? He's not going to fumble every ball man. 9 yard average????? That is better than Bo numbers.

LOL

You're missing the point entirely.

Love that you mentioned the 4th quarter point because if these guys can keep it close going in to the 4th, that very well might be the defining quarter for this track team.

I don't remember exactly how it was stated, but there was an article that was put out talking about how the D.Mar and Hackett led offense of the orange scored most of their points in the second half...

Better get on the bandwagon.....there might not be room for you later......:)