I See No Reason To Temper Enthusiasm

This team has been absolute garbage for more than 10 years and even when those past teams put together a string of 4-5 games, you just never saw how they could keep it up. There was never a thought of wow, these guys have the talent to REALLY make some noise in this league.

Well, here we are after 1 pre-season game and I have no problem getting excited about what I saw yesterday. You know why, I have not been excited about this team in forever and it's a hell of a lot more fun to feel like this than being in the mindframe that the team is spinning its' wheels. I am not going to wait until they win the division or are viewed as a contender, I am going to fire up this train right now. Get ready folks, this team seems like it actually learns from its' mistakes and I have a great feeling about the coaching staff in general.

This is the fun part of being a Bills fan folks and if you can't bring yourself to be excited because you fear a letdown, then I urge you to let it loose. There will be ups and downs with this team but why not enjoy it while it's unfolding right in front of your eyes.....that parking lot for the home opener, ohhhhh myyyyyyyy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are absolutely correct.

The thing i saw yesterday apart for the talent, was coaching. The Bills coaches had this team ready to play. Yes, it is preseason, but the Bills looked crisp and ready to play. I got the impression that everyone knows they are expected to play hard and smart. Their are area's of weakness, but every team has those.

I think we saw EJ get more comfortable as the game went on, and thus hope that translates to his next start.

We knew what we had in Chan and Fitz. So far this change is giving me more and more reasons to believe good things are around the corner.

Lets hope we end up with two strating caliber QB's in EJ and Tuel. Way to early on for me to think that for Tuel or i guess EJ. But if it does happen, great. It should translate into a couple of extra draft picks down the road

This team has been absolute garbage for more than 10 years and even when those past teams put together a string of 4-5 games, you just never saw how they could keep it up. There was never a thought of wow, these guys have the talent to REALLY make some noise in this league.

Well, here we are after 1 pre-season game and I have no problem getting excited about what I saw yesterday. You know why, I have not been excited about this team in forever and it's a hell of a lot more fun to feel like this than being in the mindframe that the team is spinning its' wheels. I am not going to wait until they win the division or are viewed as a contender, I am going to fire up this train right now. Get ready folks, this team seems like it actually learns from its' mistakes and I have a great feeling about the coaching staff in general.

This is the fun part of being a Bills fan folks and if you can't bring yourself to be excited because you fear a letdown, then I urge you to let it loose. There will be ups and downs with this team but why not enjoy it while it's unfolding right in front of your eyes.....that parking lot for the home opener, ohhhhh myyyyyyyy

Reminds me of the young Sabres team coming out of the lockout that took the NHL by storm for a few years til they screwed it up...

I'm mostly excited about the changes made. At the very least the team will be entertaining to watch. I still don't expect us to finish with a winning record, though. Not this year at least.

Edited by Dorkington

I'm mostly excited about the changes made. At the very least the team will be entertaining to watch. I still don't expect us to finish with a winning record, though. Not this year at least.

Why can't we? Look at Indy last year going from 3-13 to the playoffs. There is no way you can tell me top to bottom right now their roster is more talented than ours...look at how good Miami was last year...I am supposed to believe they had more talent on that roster last year than we have on ours??

Edited by matter2003

I'm right there with you. Over the past decade, I have always used the line "It's only preseason" after our glorious 0-4, 1-3, 2-2 (with 2 wins coming in garbage time/camp fodder time) years. In the back of my head, I always knew that there was no way that the team would ever turn it on. Yesterday, we had production from every facet of the team, especially from the starters and 2nd string guys. I'm not ready to proclaim that we are ready to dominate, but truth be told, that thought is percolating in the back of my head. I'm glad that there is a short week. We'll see what this team shows against the Vikings on Friday. It's one thing to dominate one game, but to do it again is another story.

Couldn't have said it any better....especially the last half of the last sentence :thumbsup:

Why can't we? Look at Indy last year going from 3-13 to the playoffs. There is no way you can tell me top to bottom right now their roster is more talented than ours...look at how good Miami was last year...I am supposed to believe they had more talent on that roster last year than we have on ours??

I didn't *expect* Indy to go to the playoffs last year, either. I didn't say you can't expect playoffs. I just said that I'm not.

Love this

I agree completely,... when's the last time we could generate some excitement based on what we actually saw on the field. We saw competent play, good coaching on all three aspects of the game, exciting young players,... plenty of reason for hope

Lets enjoy being fans!

Best of luck with your enthusiasm....I dont even feel pain anymore so I will do the opposite. I will not expect anything and hope they can make the playoffs!

Man that's pretty cynical.... I feel for you. If you generate any excitement about what you saw yesterday I recommend some type of home project for the fall that consumes your Sundays

I don't know how anybody has an inkling of what to expect. The Bills have so many young, inexperienced players and inexperienced coaches it's tough to predict anything. What are you basing your predictions on? Past performance? These players and coaches have little to do with that. Hope? I'm not one to predict things based on hope. One pre-season game? That's not enough. I have hope for the future as I think plenty of this young talent will eventually mature into fine NFL players but this year? I have no idea. They could totally struggle to win 5 games or they could win 10 and make the players - I just don't have a clue and I don't think I will until mid-season.

I just re-read the text thread that I was sharing with my brother in NYC while watching the game. It's clear now (no beer haze with which to contend) that what impressed me the most was the pace of the offense. Two texts that I sent him, back-to-back:

"They're on crack".

"I mean, they're on crack".

That pretty much summed up the onslaught. Say what you will about pre-season blah blah blah, but one fact is pretty hard to refute. The Bills offense came into that game in better shape than the Colts defense. I remember this always having been one of the strong points of the old K-Gun days. The big boys on the O-line had to be in good shape, because part of the goal of the K-Gun was to simply wear down the big boys on the D-line.

VERY impressive from a conditioning point of view.

I don't know how anybody has an inkling of what to expect. The Bills have so many young, inexperienced players and inexperienced coaches it's tough to predict anything. What are you basing your predictions on? Past performance? These players and coaches have little to do with that. Hope? I'm not one to predict things based on hope. One pre-season game? That's not enough. I have hope for the future as I think plenty of this young talent will eventually mature into fine NFL players but this year? I have no idea. They could totally struggle to win 5 games or they could win 10 and make the players - I just don't have a clue and I don't think I will until mid-season.

I'm not sure anyone's making a bold prediction. I don't think anyones running to Vegas to place big bets,.... we're just excited about what seems like a positive direction

Edited by cage

I just re-read the text thread that I was sharing with my brother in NYC while watching the game. It's clear now (no beer haze with which to contend) that what impressed me the most was the pace of the offense. Two texts that I sent him, back-to-back:

"They're on crack".

"I mean, they're on crack".

That pretty much summed up the onslaught. Say what you will about pre-season blah blah blah, but one fact is pretty hard to refute. The Bills offense came into that game in better shape than the Colts defense. I remember this always having been one of the strong points of the old K-Gun days. The big boys on the O-line had to be in good shape, because part of the goal of the K-Gun was to simply wear down the big boys on the D-line.

VERY impressive from a conditioning point of view.

Yeah, that is going to really cause issues for a lot of defenses...that type of conditioning cannot be gotten from one week of preparation for an opponent...them big boys on the DLine are going to be statues for a lot of second halves this year I predict...God help them trying to keep up with our track team in the 4th quarter...

Given the repetitive failures of this team over the last decade, it's hard not to be excited about change. I don't take as much from the victory and the success on the field as I do the approach taken by coaches. Notwithstanding the final score, the coaches pushed the starting offense through 2 quarters. They're getting them ready to play now and seeing what guys can do. My enthusiasm/optimism is that we're going to know exactly what we're going to see on the field once the regular season starts. Should EJ struggle against all of the first team defenses that he faces, I will have less optimism to start the season. If this first game was simply that in being first NFL game jitters, and we see him calmer and more poised next time out there, I will frankly be ecstatic. As far as the negative nancy trolls are concerned, it's easier to ignore them. Certainly not worth the effort of quoting them to have their comments re-stated for the board.

Yeah, that is going to really cause issues for a lot of defenses...that type of conditioning cannot be gotten from one week of preparation for an opponent...them big boys on the DLine are going to be statues for a lot of second halves this year I predict...God help them trying to keep up with our track team in the 4th quarter...

Love that you mentioned the 4th quarter point because if these guys can keep it close going in to the 4th, that very well might be the defining quarter for this track team.