Marcus Easley makes the team

I know it's not fair, but the biggest knock I have had against Easley since the day he was drafted is that he went to UConn, a basketball school in my eyes. He never did anything to change my lower opinion of him, but I will admit he looked good against the Colts, and I'm looking forward to watching him on tomorrow morning's replay of the Vikings game.

I see 6 WRs sticking:

SJ

Woods

TJ

Goodwin

then 2 of these 3

Easley

Rogers

Smith

Agreed Bro...

And it's my guess Smith is the odd man out...I like Brad Smith...But he's a vet luxury on a very young team looking to grow together...Easley and Rogers have far better long-term WR upside than Smith IMHO...Plus...I think at least one, if not two, of the other young WR's make it to the PS as well... B-)

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's not fair, but the biggest knock I have had against Easley since the day he was drafted is that he went to UConn, a basketball school in my eyes. He never did anything to change my lower opinion of him, but I will admit he looked good against the Colts, and I'm looking forward to watching him on tomorrow morning's replay of the Vikings game.

I see 6 WRs sticking:

SJ

Woods

TJ

Goodwin

then 2 of these 3

Easley

Rogers

Smith

I'd keep 7 and replace Smith with Kaufman.

Agreed Bro...

And it's my guess Smith is the odd man out...I like Brad Smith...But he's a vet luxury on a very young team looking to grow together...Easley and Rogers have far better long-term WR upside than Smith IMHO...Plus...I think at least one, if not two, of the other young WR's make it to the PS as well... B-)

I agree with you and Rico.

I've been a staunch supporter of Brad Smith but as the preseason has played out (as others have expressed) I've been very surprised and impressed with all of the young receivers.

I had expected that injury and performance would obviously disqualify some of them but that hasn't happened.

I hate to lose Da'Rick but at this point I would go with Kauffman and Hogan over Da'Rick and Brad Smith.

Two weeks to go and special teams will play a big part so even in the coaching staff's minds, it's probably still a toss-up among several players.

Back to the subject, Easley seems pretty secure to me right now.

I hate to jinx us but a best-case scenario would involve an injury to one of them so we could stash him on IR.

I agree with you and Rico.

I've been a staunch supporter of Brad Smith but as the preseason has played out (as others have expressed) I've been very surprised and impressed with all of the young receivers.

I had expected that injury and performance would obviously disqualify some of them but that hasn't happened.

I hate to lose Da'Rick but at this point I would go with Kauffman and Hogan over Da'Rick and Brad Smith.

Two weeks to go and special teams will play a big part so even in the coaching staff's minds, it's probably still a toss-up among several players.

Back to the subject, Easley seems pretty secure to me right now.

I hate to jinx us but a best-case scenario would involve an injury to one of them so we could stash him on IR.

The main reason I'm thinking it's a better strategy to keep Rogers on the 53 is the fact that the way it looks right now the Bills will be pretty solid from 1-5 (Stevie, Woods, TJ, Goodwin, and Easley), and that 6th WR will likely be inactive on most Sundays anyway...I think for Da'Rick that is the best scenario...It gives him a little hope and confidence bump, but he's still got to work hard to get any PT...Then stash one or two of the other young guys on the PS in case of injury...Like I said before...For this team, at this time, I just think the risk vs. reward in keeping Rogers is well worth it...We'll see though...With this bunch it's hard to imagine the Bills can go wrong... B-)

Also, with the waiver process, isn't it like the draft where worst teams get first pick? If so, Rogers would just need to make it past the teams with a worse record than the Bills last year.

i don't think it works that way. If we cut Rogers so that we can sign him off waivers. Any team (regardless of record) would have access to pick him up if they plan on keeping him as part of their 53. You state a fact that the team with the worst record would have dibs first but any team has the right to sign him to their 53 and that would supercede our PS. For example if the Seahawks wanted to sign them they would get him if nobody else tried signing him their 53 first.

I see no shortage of guys to cut on offense.

RB Zach Brown

WR Kevin Elliot

WR Chris Hogan

WR Terrell Sinkfield

WR DeMarco Sampson

And yes, WR TJ Graham

Kolb should either be cut, or moved to 2nd string BEHIND Jeff Tuel. I'd take my Chances with Brad Smith as 3rd string QB.

SJ

Woods

Goodwin

Graham

Hogan

Easley

Are the six I predict at this point.

thats a good list for sure. Could probably insert Kaufman where Hogan is as well.

Still think they keep 7. The 6 you listed with either Kaufman or Rogers as well. I say Rogers with Kaufman on the PS.

i don't think it works that way. If we cut Rogers so that we can sign him off waivers. Any team (regardless of record) would have access to pick him up if they plan on keeping him as part of their 53. You state a fact that the team with the worst record would have dibs first but any team has the right to sign him to their 53 and that would supercede our PS. For example if the Seahawks wanted to sign them they would get him if nobody else tried signing him their 53 first.

NO----that is incorrect.

The teams based on draft order is also waiver wire claim order. Before Buffalo can put him on the PS he MUST CLEAR WAIVERS. Any team can claim him and there is nothing Buffalo could do to stop it. the worst team gets to claim the player before a better team.

for example Jacksonville sucks at CBs so they will be looking to pluck a few that will get cut from those teams that have a lot of depth.

Once he has cleared waivers he can sign to any PS he wants. Once on a teams PS any team can pluck a player from another teams PS to their 53 without any compensation.

I'm glad. Been wanting this guy on the roster from the day we drafted him. That he impressed an entirely new coaching staff hell-bent on changing the culture, speaks to my belief in this guy.

Now go out there and have a HOF career, Marcus!

Some guys you root for because their journey was full of more obstacles than others. Can you imagine how discouraging it must have been to have your career in jeopardy because of a heart ailment or to have a season put on the shelf because of a broken leg? All these things happening before he was able to establish himself as a player in the league. Furthermore, Easley was entering the season with a new coaching staff that had little attachment to the inheritied players and he was on a team that drafted two receiver with early picks. The numbers certainly weren't working in his favor.

The bottom line was that he earned his roster spot by outperforming the players he was competing against. If Rogers would have demonstrated more focus and consistency odds are that this new coaching staff would have kept their rookie selection over him. But Easley simply beat him out and forced the staff to select him.

Let's not get carried away on how good he is. At this point he is probably the sixth receiver on the roster. But he is the type of player who when given the opportunity will work his way up the ladder. He needs to be more consistent in catching the ball. However,without a doubt he is the type of person you root a little harder for.

Edited by JohnC

Some guys you root for because their journey was full of more obstacles and than others.

The bottom line was that he earned his roster spot by outperforming the players he was competing against.

Let's not get carried away on how good he is.

He needs to be more consistent in catching the ball. However,without a doubt he is the type of person you root a little harder for.

Agreed.

Easley kept at it after having to go through so many injuries, good on him that he made the roster and will get a chance to showcase what he can do. I think he will have to make a huge impact on special teams though, I think Woods, Stevie, TJ and Goodwin will be the guys that get a majority of the burn at WR but Easley was a special teams ace in college so it makes sense that they might want him to be the 5th WR and play a lot of special teams.