League to Crack Down on Celebrations, etc.

Off the Snap: NFL officials plan to crack down on taunting

• The NFL is tired of players celebrating inappropriately after successful plays and scoring plays, and its officials have evidently been charged with controlling this increasing “menace.” Section 3 of the league’s rule book outlines the behavior that will be penalized, under the banner of Unsportsmanlike Conduct:

“Sack dances, home run swing, incredible hulk; spiking the ball; spinning the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent [prolonged and with provocation]; or dancing.”

These moves are also verboten:

“Throat slash; machine-gun salute; sexually suggestive gestures; prolonged gyrations; or stomping on a team logo.”

The updated rule book actually came out before the 2012 season, but as officials are making the rounds to NFL training camps to explain new rules and changes in emphasis like they do every year, they’re telling players that they’ll be watching celebratory behavior more closely.

Some players, like receiver Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers, are working on alterations to their celebrations. Smith considers the ball spin to be his signature move, and he said on Monday that when it comes to avoiding penalties, “We’re working it out.”

It’s easy to understand why the NFL is trying to legislate as much violence out of the game as possible, but the limitation of expression seems archaic at best. Football is an emotional game, played under pressurized conditions, and any victory over the inherent difficulties involved will lead to a reaction. “No Fun League,” indeed.

More here: http://nfl.si.com/20...g-off-the-snap/

What a crock. I get that the NFL has to draw a line somewhere, but I think this goes too far.

No, I don't want the WWE or XFL or whatever. But I do want guys to be able to celebrate. Football is a man's game, not some corporate diversion.

In my book, there's nothing wrong with showing emotion. It helps the fans relate, and make it clear that it is, after all, just a game.

I do take issue with excessive celebration and taunting, but that is an entirely different topic.

To me, this referendum reeks of the suits trying to sanitize the game and maintain a double standard. The game is predicated on violence and emotion. To deny that is to deny the very thing that attracts the masses to the stadiums and TV screens each week.

they've gone too far, in my opinion.

I understand banning prolonged or choreographed celebrations and I understand wanting to limit taunting as much as possible.

But there is trash talking going on all day, I just don't see how that can be eliminated.

As far as celebrating a big play or displaying some emotion, I think it is a good thing and should be encouraged as long as it does not delay the game and as long as it is not offensive.

I personally think there is too much celebration going on in football these days.

What I hate is when a defender celebrates after he makes a tackle. A f*@%ing tackle! There are way too many players that do it.

I have no problem with celebrating a touchdown or any type of scoring situation, as long as you don't taunt.

I think the NFL is going too far with this ruling though, let the players have some fun, it also gets the crowd excited. There is supposed to be an element of fun in this game, right?

What's worse is that this gives the officials even more power, that is what is really disturbing.

WTF... sport is emotion, on the field, in the stands and on the couch. Without emotion there wouldn't be any business side to it at all. Good grief, I so fail to understand their slef proclaimed need to regulate something that nobody thinks is an issue to start with. Burocrats.

I'm replying to a PM, so I'm not including the poster's name in case he wishes to remain anonymous.

on 06 August 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Those rules are only for taunting other players. Not celebrations alone.

Well, it seems to me that they are treating most, if not all, celebrations as taunting.

I think it's clear most fans, players, and refs can discern between celebrating and taunting. I'll admit sometimes the line is blurred, but 99.9% of the time we know which is which.

I also think it is hypocritical of the league to actively pursue players likely to violate their rules. Their commercials highlight players celebrating and showboating- they even hyped Deion Sanders as Leon Sandcastle- just to turn around and say, "Hey, let's keep it professional here."

Even the NFL knows that nobody wants to watch a bunch of big guys going through the motions. The Marvin Harrisons and Larry Fitzgeralds don't get the rating that the Randy Mosses and TOs do.

If you were to poll the average/casual Bills fan, I'm willing to bet that Stevie would be the overwhelming fan favorite. Why? Because he's flamboyant. He's a character. He doesn't "just play football."

The NFL isn't worried about the purists or maintaining the integrity of the game. "Real" football fans are going to watch and buy tickets regardless. They are using this a PR move to counter the prevalence of a "thug" culture, much like the NBA has made a point of doing. Not as a means to an end, but rather so they can retrospectively say "we won't tolerate this" while closing their eyes and plugging their ears.

Edited by uncle flap

when a college team scores, i feel like my football watching experience is no less enjoyable because they skip the dancing and such.... i think most fans are making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be.

ive never thought to myself "man i wish he wouldve done a bigger celebration" i have thought to myself "that was ridiculous and stupid" after one though.

Edited by NoSaint

This is too far. There are a lot of celebrations that clearly are excessive and guys should act like they have been in the end zone before, but this is way too far. Football is an emotional game. Scoring a TD is exhilarating. As long as the celebration is natural, I have no problem.

I am confident the fans will appreciate our attempts to limit unsportsmanlike gestures on the field.

Love your posts! Playing it to the max!

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I'm good with everything ruled out. If Art Donovan were still alive, I'm sure he'd say 'it's about damn time!' I'm old, so I remember a time when none of this crap took place. Whether it was a bruising, smashing 30 yard TD run by Jim Brown, a dazzling 60 yard 'bob & weave' run by Sayers or OJ or a spectacular catch by Bambi or Paul Warfield, there were virtually no such shenigans as we're subject to every freakin' play now. They tossed the ball to ref and jogged to the sideline where they were met with an 'Atta boy' hand slap -off the field. IMO, THEY seemed to better understand that whatever a particular player did on a particular play, 10 OTHER teammates were equally responsible for.

I'll believe these rule enforcements when I see them, but count me in on it.

I personally think there is too much celebration going on in football these days.

What I hate is when a defender celebrates after he makes a tackle. A f*@%ing tackle! There are way too many players that do it.

I have no problem with celebrating a touchdown or any type of scoring situation, as long as you don't taunt.

I think the NFL is going too far with this ruling though, let the players have some fun, it also gets the crowd excited. There is supposed to be an element of fun in this game, right?

What's worse is that this gives the officials even more power, that is what is really disturbing.

This post is perfect. I think you're 100% accurate Mr. Vader. I'm sick of guys running around after routine plays. More Barry Sanders....less 3rd string safety celebrating his 12th tackle of the season...in the 14th game.

when a college team scores, i feel like my football watching experience is no less enjoyable because they skip the dancing and such.... i think most fans are making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be.

ive never thought to myself "man i wish he wouldve done a bigger celebration" i have thought to myself "that was ridiculous and stupid" after one though.

I totally get where you're coming from. I don't think celebrations are necessary at all.

I take issue with a league that actively promotes showmanship- and owes much of its current standing as the most popular sport in the country to doing so- all of a sudden choosing to overreact to... well, I'm not exactly sure.

Is it an effort to distance themselves from the likes of Aaron Hernandez, who made a spectacle of every TD?

Is it an effort to establish a more "professional" standard for players? It's still a game. I realize that college football is also a game, but I can live with the strict rules with 19 year olds perhaps not deserving as much leeway. They are amateurs representing an academic institution. I actually do think both you and I would enjoy CFB more if players were allowed to express themselves a little bit. Perhaps not substantially, but I don't see any harm in a quick "gyration" after a TD.

Excessive celebration and taunting were already fouls. Why is there a need to more strictly enforce the rules? And add a bunch of examples of what many consider typical actions in typical games?

Edited by uncle flap

Guess everybody's got to act like they've been there now.

I wish the league just would have waited until it cycled back on it's own. When simply handing the ball to the ref came to be the next cool thing.

GO BILLS!!!