Mom w/baby fined $219 for not having exact change for bus

Lucky she was in Canada. In this country, she would've been tasered.

and taken away in handcuffs, her child confiscated by CPS and her income tax records scrutinized.

Let's look at the bright side though. She got free medical care for her kid. What a loving government that blows such sweet kisses to its population and never does an unkind thing to its people. I think I might cry.

Just give the bus driver the 5 bucks and say: "Keep the change." Is that exact.

??

How does any machine nowadays NOT except bills... Heck, vending machines do. Wouldn't there be a system that if the machine didn't have enough to make change, it could give you a voucher? How can you not board a bus with MORE MONEY on you?

Here on the trains, you can buy the ticket right from the conductor checking your ticket. Same thing with those inspectors, no ticket, then you buy one right from them... Refuse, then get the citation. Oh wait, it is Canada...

Lucky she was in Canada. In this country, she would've been tasered.

No. On the Metra here, she would been just asked to buy the ticket... She gives the inspector 5 bucks, they give 2 bucks back... End of story.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Probably the worst scum of the earth are the people who work for stm.

Well, you are from that area... Why wouldn't those inspectors just take the lady's 5 bucks, make her 2 bucks change... Case closed. It is obvious the bus driver couldn't make change. WTF? The conductor/inspector can't make change either?

Well, you are from that area... Why wouldn't those inspectors just take the lady's 5 bucks, make her 2 bucks change... Case closed. It is obvious the bus driver couldn't make change. WTF? The conductor/inspector can't make change either?

Because that's how they are. They are the scum of the earth.

When I lived in SF I took the bus all the time. It was the best way to get around especially seeing the parking sucks and even better if you're drinking. Not getting change is the nature of the beast. Here it's $2. You always need to make sure you had $2 on you if you were taking the bus. I has a Clipper card that you scan as you get on and it automatically reloads from your credit card. Now don't get me wrong I don't get the fine but if you ride the bus at all you know there is no change.

Question. What's a bus inspector?

I saw them in Germany. They are uniformed enforcers of the travel laws. You can hop on a bus or train and maybe you don't have to show your ticket to anyone - except them... if they happen to board your train/bus. They're like a roving band of uber conductors. Achtung!

After the Zimmerman fiasco, I will refrain from forming an opinion until more facts come out.

This doesn't make any sense.

(I have a feeling that she refused to pay unless she could get change back, which would make this her fault.)

not according to the story. I believe her and Meazza.

I do not know. I think it is like Nanker said. Here, there are conductors on the trains. If they ask fo a ticket and one doesn't have one, you buy it from them. I think it is slightly more than the machine. Say, you are in a hurry and can't get a ticket, just jump on the train and go. Now, if they don't ask for a ticket, I guess you just rode free...

What seems to be the problem w/this lady... She had more than enough for fare.

Now don't get me wrong I don't get the fine but if you ride the bus at all you know there is no change.

Like I said... She probably took a gamble and hopped on the bus. Now if if one gets "inspected" (and hopefully not injected), pay the premium for purchasing a ticket from "The Inspector." Win-Win. Gets more money and keeps the inspectors/conductors doing their jobs. What's the cost of this fine, alienating ridership? They aren't going to get blood out of a stone w/a $219 ticket... She is riding the bus in the first place! What are they gonna do if she doesn't pay the fine? Make her sit on the Group Dubya bench w/father rapers... Again, she is riding the bus, probably already has to deal w/them...

I don't think so. The driver refused to take the $5 probably because he/she/it was power-tripping or was in fear of their own job record. It sounded to me that the driver made a call to the transit cops who then pulled the bus over so they could make a bust and justify their jobs.

For the record I did witness a young lady get popped by the German transit cops on a trip from Potsdam to Berlin. They were nice -just made her pay the regular rate but they could have given her a 75€ fine. She was good looking and I think the young cop got her phone #. There might have been some more popping going on later. :w00t:

I don't think so. The driver refused to take the $5 probably because he/she/it was power-tripping or was in fear of their own job record. It sounded to me that the driver made a call to the transit cops who then pulled the bus over so they could make a bust and justify their jobs.

For the record I did witness a young lady get popped by the German transit cops on a trip from Potsdam to Berlin. They were nice -just made her pay the regular rate but they could have given her a 75€ fine. She was good looking and I think the young cop got her phone #. There might have been some more popping going on later. :w00t:

I understand and agree. Again, it is what they do here. No change? In a rush? Go have a seat. Cops just being cops... God forbid they have to take a fare! The union wouldn't like it! That's not my job, we are here to bust people. Don't have exact change, just go sit on the train/bus and the conductor/inspector will make it for you @ a premium. Great business model they got going in Montreal. Like the average bus rider is gonna scratch up $219 bucks fine... LoL... Yeah, some deterant. Want that in big bills or small? God forbid, you have a (most likely union) cop/inspector do their job other than bust people with fines... Maybe actually promote ridership...

I do not know. I think it is like Nanker said. Here, there are conductors on the trains. If they ask fo a ticket and one doesn't have one, you buy it from them. I think it is slightly more than the machine. Say, you are in a hurry and can't get a ticket, just jump on the train and go. Now, if they don't ask for a ticket, I guess you just rode free...

What seems to be the problem w/this lady... She had more than enough for fare.

This was a bus....A BUS! Not a train. Big difference. The bus has a driver that drives and does not collect fares. There is a little box in front that takes money but does not give change. So you either have exact change or you over pay or.......you get off. Quite simple acutlly.

This was a bus....A BUS! Not a train. Big difference. The bus has a driver that drives and does not collect fares. There is a little box in front that takes money but does not give change. So you either have exact change or you over pay or.......you get off. Quite simple acutlly.

I agree, bus driver drives. Don't have exact change, take a seat and wait for the inspector to make you change @ A PREMIUM... If they are slacking off and can't get around... Rides on them. God forbid , those inspectors do their job besides just walking around busting people.

Wow... Who would of thought you'd side w/a bloated gov't and its workers only doing limited job descriptions... Nice business model obtaining ridership.

bull ****. This is 2013 - there are soda machines that take !@#$ing credit cards. There's no reason to !@#$ with people when technology exists and is very cheap to implement. Jesus Christ, a bus driver is going to leave a mom and baby on the side of the !@#$ing road because the government can't figure out how to take a !@#$ing customer's money?

I agree, bus driver drives. Don't have exact change, take a seat and wait for the inspector to make you change @ A PREMIUM... If they are slacking off and can't get around... Rides on them. God forbid , those inspectors do their job besides just walking around busting people.

Wow... Who would of thought you'd side w/a bloated gov't and its workers only doing limited job descriptions... Nice business model obtaining ridership.

Once again what the !@#$ is an inspector? You think they have guys that go around on buses to make sure people have paid? Me talking about a bloated government you want to double the manpower by putting "inspectors" on the buses. They don't even have them on the trains in SF. You need to have a paid for ticket or a prepaid "Clipper" card to get out of the station. It's all automated.

bull ****. This is 2013 - there are soda machines that take !@#$ing credit cards. There's no reason to !@#$ with people when technology exists and is very cheap to implement. Jesus Christ, a bus driver is going to leave a mom and baby on the side of the !@#$ing road because the government can't figure out how to take a !@#$ing customer's money?

Yes they do have the technology. It's called a prepaid card that you tag with you get on the bus. Every form of public transportation in the Bay Area has them. From the buses, to MUNI trains, to BART to the Ferries.

Edited by Chef Jim

I don't think so. The driver refused to take the $5 probably because he/she/it was power-tripping or was in fear of their own job record.

Actually, the bus driver could probably lose their job for taking 'tips'.

bull ****. This is 2013 - there are soda machines that take !@#$ing credit cards.

And boy does that piss me off when I'm at the YMCA with my four year old. She already knows I'm full of it when I try the 'I don't have any money' excuse.

Once again what the !@#$ is an inspector? You think they have guys that go around on buses to make sure people have paid? Me talking about a bloated government you want to double the manpower by putting "inspectors" on the buses. They don't even have them on the trains in SF. You need to have a paid for ticket or a prepaid "Clipper" card to get out of the station. It's all automated.

Yes they do have the technology. It's called a prepaid card that you tag with you get on the bus. Every form of public transportation in the Bay Area has them. From the buses, to MUNI trains, to BART to the Ferries.

The inspectors are already there (on the streets)... Just collect the money if they don't have the ticket and be done w/it. Easier than be a heavy with a citation/fine. Good incentive to make their rounds... Charge a premium for hand collection. The bus driver knows who paid... Radio ahead, seems like they did that in this case. Again, they are already on the job and they seemed to be right on this lady and her child. LoL I suppose, I didn't have exact change is a good enough excuse for not having a ticket? I am not expecting you to understand that it is counter productive to give a fine to a mother and child who has more than the adequate fare.

Better yet, put a change machine in... LoL...

Betcha the inspector's union will be upset that they have more to do on their job...

From what I understand the girl tried to overpay and the bus driver refused. Yes prepaid cards exist but she is not a regular bus traveler. The cards themselves cost money so not really something a non-regular user would have.

Not that I disagree with you but I'm very rarely going to take the side of the STM as they are honestly the scum of this !@#$ing planet.

Edited by meazza

From what I understand the girl tried to overpay and the bus driver refused. Yes prepaid cards exist but she is not a regular bus traveler. The cards themselves cost money so not really something a non-regular user would have.

Not that I disagree with you but I'm very rarely going to take the side of the STM as they are honestly the scum of this !@#$ing planet.

Everybody in Montreal taking a bus should walk on with too much money. Better yet, a bag of pennies... Betcha the machine doesn't take pennies.

Speaking of pennies, I think Illinois Tollway maybe the only toll road that still takes pennies in their machines... I used to love unloading mine... And they would count one @ a time in the basket! LoL... Now, you even have 7 days to pay (even online) if you missed a toll. Just go through the I-Pass lane.

"Sorry, I don't have 2 Loonies and 4 quarters.... But I have these 300 pennies, exact change of course!"

Dude I would never take the side of MUNI. I bunch of over paid lazy !@#$s. Trust me. But here in the Bay Area those cards cost nothing. You order them online, link them to your credit or debit card. I'm just busting them on EII saying "well why didn't he just give her change?" That's not how it works. If she didn't know how it works she should have been allowed to insert the $5 and move on.

You know now that I think about it in SF they only take singles no fivers. So if that was all she had she couldn't pay for free. Sorry lady, get off the bus get some change for the $5 and take the next bus.

Edited by Chef Jim

Dude I would never take the side of MUNI. I bunch of over paid lazy !@#$s. Trust me. But here in the Bay Area those cards cost nothing. You order them online, link them to your credit or debit card. I'm just busting them on EII saying "well why didn't he just give her change?" That's not how it works. If she didn't know how it works she should have been allowed to insert the $5 and move on.

She didn't want change back. LoL She was willing to pay 66% more. That's how it works, collect more than is actually needed. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure this out.

And of course... The inspectors could easilyy expand their job descriptions and collect money... Heck, they are transit cops running around w/guns (not sure up in Canada) and driving their own ride? There would be no extra cost in doing business. End result=lazy union public servant actually serves the public.

You know now that I think about it in SF they only take singles no fivers. So if that was all she had she couldn't pay for free. Sorry lady, get off the bus get some change for the $5 and take the next bus.

It was after 10PM and she had been in the hospital with her sick kid. The government/bus driver are totally in the wrong and exacerbated the issue by fining a person who had the fare an exorbitant penalty because they can't figure out, in 2013, how to make !@#$ing change. That's more than a little retarded and one of the major reasons why mass transit doesn't work very well.

If I was in their chain of command, all of them would be fired for being morons.

The inspectors are already there (on the streets)... Just collect the money if they don't have the ticket and be done w/it. Easier than be a heavy with a citation/fine. Good incentive to make their rounds... Charge a premium for hand collection. The bus driver knows who paid... Radio ahead, seems like they did that in this case. Again, they are already on the job and they seemed to be right on this lady and her child. LoL I suppose, I didn't have exact change is a good enough excuse for not having a ticket? I am not expecting you to understand that it is counter productive to give a fine to a mother and child who has more than the adequate fare.

Better yet, put a change machine in... LoL...

Betcha the inspector's union will be upset that they have more to do on their job...

So you're making things up. The inspectors are there to do random checks on the buses. Wish they did that in SF seeing there are a ton of fare jumpers on MUNI. They are there to check ticket and proof of payment not to collect fares. I'm not saying what they did was right. If the had any compassion (we're talking government union !@#$s here) they could have taken her off the bus and found someplace where she could get change.

Edited by Chef Jim

Credit card machines discriminate against low-income people with no credit record. And there's too much liability in taking on a passenger who either doesn't want to pay or insists on overpaying - someone that desperate might be a terrorist, and that's too much risk.

So you're making things up. The inspectors are there to do random checks on the buses. Wish they did that in SF seeing there are a ton of fare jumpers on MUNI. They are there to check ticket and proof of payment not to collect fares. I'm not saying what they did was right. If the had any compassion (we're talking government union !@#$s here) they could have taken her off the bus and found someplace where she could get change.

Probably why they don't do random checks in SF is because they use such a strict system like you advocate. In the end more people fare jump.

I agree... They can still do their job checking tickets and keeping peace. All I am saying is that when they find a person that hasn't paid... Ask them why. Give them a chance to answer w/a reasonable explanation and then take their fare. Obviously if they don't have the fare, have enough, then cite them.

And yes in this case, they claim it was a random check which is disputed. There was implication that they were called in. Being called in is a good thing. They can have inspectors/transit police/whatever you call them stationed around routes in a vehicle... They probably do now already. The cops/inspectors were lazy and dumb not giving her the out... Total idiots. She was intending to pay the fare and actually offered more. Probably some union rule that they are hiding behind. It is totally counter-productive what they did and should be fired just for being over officious jerks.

Credit card machines discriminate against low-income people with no credit record. And there's too much liability in taking on a passenger who either doesn't want to pay or insists on overpaying - someone that desperate might be a terrorist, and that's too much risk.

Soda machines take bills too. How hard is ito have a machine that takes any denomination? You see them all over the place. Montreal is a cosmopolitan city.

Soda machines take bills too. How hard is ito have a machine that takes any denomination? You see them all over the place. Montreal is a cosmopolitan city.

Machines that accept cash discriminate against people who don't have checking accounts and can't cash their paychecks.

Machines that accept cash discriminate against people who don't have checking accounts and can't cash their paychecks.

That is what they have currency exchanges & check cashing stores for... Ever notice, most are in the hood? And, they can get a reloadable Wal-Mart Visa debit with no credit check... They can even have direct deposit to that prepaid card... Totally untraceable if they use money paks...

That is what they have currency exchanges & check cashing stores for... Ever notice, most are in the hood? And, they can get a reloadable Wal-Mart Visa debit with no credit check... They can even have direct deposit to that prepaid card... Totally untraceable if they use money paks...

And how are they going to get to WalMart to get their debit card when they can't pay for the bus?

Soooo many assumptions being made about this story with no facts to back it up.

The only thing we know so far is that she had $5, but had no ticket when inspected, so got kicked off the bus.

Everyone is jumping to the conclusion that she was refused a bus ticket, or that the driver called her in, or that she was mistreated in anyway. Stop the outrage!