SJ is a slot-man now

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea. I think it will turn out great. Most of the passes he catches are between 5-10 yards anyway so why not exploit a defense with his unconventional style and quickness. Just as long as we don't get the typical Fitz pass to the shoelaces from EJ or Kolb he should excel! Go Bills!!

If Rogers and or by some miracle Easley can turn out to be a legit physical outside presence, this WR core could be very dangerous. Stevie gets open period and if we can get a QB in there who will consistently get him the ball I feel like his reception and yardage numbers can grow significantly.

He played a ton in the slot last year too so this is not that much of a change. He and Fitz were great in the red zone with Stevie lined up inside.

According to the article he played 17% of his plays in the slot last year which I wouldn't classify as "a ton." Compare that to a guy like Wayne who played in the slot more than 50% of the time. Might be a good idea to read the articles you're posting about.

Makes sense, hes always been a great number 2, possession receiver. I see him getting even more 5 yard slants and taking them another 5 yards. I doubt he'll have another 1000 yard season, but if he does, according to some here will that make him best Bills wr of all time.

Makes sense, hes always been a great number 2, possession receiver. I see him getting even more 5 yard slants and taking them another 5 yards. I doubt he'll have another 1000 yard season, but if he does, according to some here will that make him best Bills wr of all time.

Now they need a #1 WR, as they have since Moulds left. SJ is a nice slot guy with all the moves, etc. but he doesn't strike fear into defenses like the top guys do. Lets Hope (there's that word again) someone with real speed grows into the #1 role. Otherwise SJ will be getting rocked by safeties and LBs all year and probably won't last the season.

He played a ton in the slot last year too so this is not that much of a change. He and Fitz were great in the red zone with Stevie lined up inside.

17% of his snaps were in the slot according to stats quoted in the linked article by Gaughan -- you consider that a ton? This is a significant change.

If Rogers and or by some miracle Easley can turn out to be a legit physical outside presence, this WR core could be very dangerous. Stevie gets open period and if we can get a QB in there who will consistently get him the ball I feel like his reception and yardage numbers can grow significantly.

Whither Woods?

I think this is a good sign of progress from TJ and the rookies. I've been holding out hope that Da'Rick would prove himself in camp, and be places as a starter on the outside...or even placing him there for 3 WR sets to let Stevie work the middle.

With TJ apparently impressing with his ability to just sprint past CB's, that gives him a way to stretch the field, Da'Rick is in the Randy Moss mold, and Goodwin can tear the middle and do reverses as a gadget player and Woods is heir apparent to Stevie. This looks like the most talented 5 WR that we've had on the team in a long time.

Makes sense, hes always been a great number 2, possession receiver.

I doubt he'll have another 1000 yard season, but if he does, according to some here will that make him best Bills wr of all time.

Ugh.....

And yes, if he has 4 straight 1,000 yard seasons he might be considered the best Bills WR of all time. He's at least on track to surpass Reed.

SJ is a nice slot guy with all the moves, etc.

but he doesn't strike fear into defenses like the top guys do.

Well, considering he's only played 17% of his snaps in the slot how can you can you come to the conclusion that he's a good slot guy? Now if you said he was a good WR then you'd be in to something.

And I'm sure Revis or any other CB in the league would disagree with you.

Now they need a #1 WR, as they have since Moulds left. SJ is a nice slot guy with all the moves, etc. but he doesn't strike fear into defenses like the top guys do. Lets Hope (there's that word again) someone with real speed grows into the #1 role. Otherwise SJ will be getting rocked by safeties and LBs all year and probably won't last the season.

Still curious as to how a guy that (a) is the primary target on the team, (b) ranks in the top 12-20 NFL WRs in every statistical category in each of the last 3 years, and © has a significant degree of success against top CBs like Revis and Sherman, doesn't qualify as a #1?

But don't bother answering, please, because (a) there is no good answer, and (b) I don't want to thread-jack.

I think this is a good sign of progress from TJ and the rookies. I've been holding out hope that Da'Rick would prove himself in camp, and be places as a starter on the outside...or even placing him there for 3 WR sets to let Stevie work the middle.

With TJ apparently impressing with his ability to just sprint past CB's, that gives him a way to stretch the field, Da'Rick is in the Randy Moss mold, and Goodwin can tear the middle and do reverses as a gadget player and Woods is heir apparent to Stevie. This looks like the most talented 5 WR that we've had on the team in a long time.

great post. Agree 100%. I know it's a long shot to hope that Rogers would win a starting job outright but I hope so too. He's the most talented of the WR group and should have been a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Still curious as to how a guy that (a) is the primary target on the team, (b) ranks in the top 12-20 NFL WRs in every statistical category in each of the last 3 years, and © has a significant degree of success against top CBs like Revis and Sherman, doesn't qualify as a #1?

But don't bother answering, please, because (a) there is no good answer, and (b) I don't want to thread-jack.

well done Bandit

Good answer... maybe not. Best answer would be to say him in the slot would be like Welker when he was on the Pats.

I don't have the article but I read somewhere that their skill sets (Woods, Johnson) are pretty much interchangeable(other than speed) so they will be learning both positions. SJ is still the #1 receiver in my book. Doesn't matter where they put him, the defense will be watching for him.