The "no tendency" offense. Hmmm.....

First, listen to this if you haven't already: http://www.buffalobi...05-6c48184d4bbe

It's Heath Evans talking about the Bills offense, in the context of him being in Sean Payton's offense, and suggesting Marrone's will be more of the same. He refers to it as a "no tendency offense", and specifically talks about doing it different, every time, as in "throwing a bomb on 3rd and 1".

Now, certainly I don't want to pee in the Cheerios here. I am traditionally just under The Senator's level in terms of optimism. But....

How often did we find ourselves pulling our hair out over "We threw the ball on 3rd and 1? When we have Fred Jackson on this team? :angry: WTF?" play calls last year?

How often did we fail to find the genius in running a draw play on 2nd and 20?

How often did we say "Why the hell are we not running the football? The run is working, forcing the pass 3 times and out is not."? :wallbash:

Well again, not to be douche, but, all of those ARE in line with "no tendency" football. Are they not?

What does that mean to you? Does it mean nothing, until you see Hackett's play calling in a game? Or, are you saying you don't want to see passes called on 3rd and 1, no matter what, and to hell with "no tendency", given last year?

Or are you comforted by the notion that "no tendency" could also mean "hey this time we are running it on 3rd and 1, next time, who knows, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it"? :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Or are you comforted by the notion that "no tendency" could also mean "hey this time we are running it on 3rd and 1, next time, who knows, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it"? :lol:

I'm happy with this. I think, with as much film as they gather and study these days, a team can become very perdictable. They'll study to the point that if a team is doing things the same, instead of just run/pass, they'll know which exact run or pass it is. Now, the opposite team still has to stop the play. But if you can become less predictable, I think thats a good thing.

I don't know about this "no tendency" offense. Coaches play the percentages and go with what works 99% of the time. That's not to say they don't take a shot now and then or won't look to exploit a match up if presented, but by and large, they go with what they know.

GO BILLS!!!

First, listen to this if you haven't already: http://www.buffalobi...05-6c48184d4bbe

It's Heath Evans talking about the Bills offense, in the context of him being in Sean Payton's offense, and suggesting Marrone's will be more of the same. He refers to it as a "no tendency offense", and specifically talks about doing it different, every time, as in "throwing a bomb on 3rd and 1".

Now, certainly I don't want to pee in the Cheerios here. I am traditionally just under The Senator's level in terms of optimism. But....

How often did we find ourselves pulling our hair out over "We threw the ball on 3rd and 1? When we have Fred Jackson on this team? :angry: WTF?" play calls last year?

How often did we fail to find the genius in running a draw play on 2nd and 20?

How often did we say "Why the hell are we not running the football? The run is working, forcing the pass 3 times and out is not."? :wallbash:

Well again, not to be douche, but, all of those ARE in line with "no tendency" football. Are they not?

What does that mean to you? Does it mean nothing, until you see Hackett's play calling in a game? Or, are you saying you don't want to see passes called on 3rd and 1, no matter what, and to hell with "no tendency", given last year?

Well, from what I gathered on the articles I've read, the Bills are going to try and use all of their offensive weapons roughly an equal amount, meaning the D can't focus on or have a specific defender focus on one offensive guy, like Spiller, for example. It's the threat that any one of our 5 or 6 serious offensive weapons will touch the ball on a given play.

Sometimes you can outsmart yourself. I think we might see this from the bills this year.

During his job interview with the Bills, Marrone was asked what his offensive philosophy was.

His reply (which pleased Whaley and Brandon) was "You pass to score and run to win."

I don't get the sense that this offense is gonna get "too cute" very often.

I like the 'pass to score, run to win' comment, if it means what I think it means. But I would also like to have an offense that can come out of the huddle on 3rd and a couple and just beat the snot out of the DL so the 1st down is a gimme for the RB. Sometimes you beat them by surprising them with schemes and sometimes you beat them by overpowering them, even when they are expecting the play you are running.

Although there are many, one of the biggest failings of recent Bills teams has been the inability to run the "4:00 offense" -- in other words, when holding a lead late being unable to keep the ball and prevent the opponent from getting another shot. I believe we're going to see this year's Bills be very unpredictable and imaginative on offense in quarters 1-3 (the "no tendency" model), but I hope they are also focusing on being able to control the clock in the 4th.

I don't think Marrone is a Sean Payton clone. Look at how Syracuse's offense evolved during Marrone's tenure. Hackett talks about studying the K-Gun, Chip Kelly's offense, etc. Our Hackett is, of course, the son of Paul Hackett - a West Coast guy.

These two coaches (Marrone & Hackett) have a lot of influences beyond Sean Payton.

And, by the way, throwing on 3rd-and-one when Fitz is your QB isn't a bright decision. It's a much better idea when Bart Starr is your quarterback. It only softens up defenses when the threat is legit.