Asking for a raise today. Who's got tips?

The Big Cat

It's my annual review.

Pres/CEO/Guy with his name on the door is conducting them this year.

I've taken on a lot more responsibility in the past year, both client and otherwise. I'm looking for any advice for how to ask for what I want: more money.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only pushed for it once. Introduced the topic by stating that "I would like to talk about my compensation..." which was well received.

-Make sure you have a number in mind.

-Refrain from using co-workers comp as a benchmark.

-If you can cite median pay figures and stats from other sources, do so to bolster your case.

-Be prepared to talk about what you've done to merit such an increase, how your efforts have translated into efficiencies, cost savings, etc.

If they refuse, "not at this time" type stuff, ask what you would have to do to earn the raise you're looking for, what criteria you'll be judged on, time table, and when your next review will be. Maybe lose that top button and show a little thigh, too. Drop your pen to show him your thong. Be coy, but don't lay it on too thick. You might have to do some things you never thought you'd do, but thats business.

That was the basically the advice my dear mother gave me, who is the director of HR for a pretty large company. Good luck.

Edited by Jauronimo

i'm really timid in that department and have NEVER asked for a raise, i get whatever the company gives, this year i was given a bit more than the average because i had gone above and beyond, basically that is all i really ever hope for...i am just happy they let me in the door, especially in today's economy

Work on what you want to do, what you want to get done and what your plan is to do them. Do not bring up all you have done unless you can work it in there. Saying something like "I want to continue to organize the back of the whittzles and get them in line with the futtzles much like I have done over in the crumbum with the whirlgags" is good. Saying things like "I did a very good job rebuilding the doodlebobs" is just too open.

If you're asking for a raise your boss wants to realize he is investing in what you are going to be doing going forward. He already paid for what you did in the past and you only want to use that as an example of what you are capable of doing for him and his money.

Oh, and to add to what someone said, have a number. Do not give a number like $15/hr or $45,000. Give something that sounds exact. $15.12/hr. Find a reason to justify the twelve cents. "Well, the twelve cents adds up to $4.80 a week and I usually buy my group pizza every month and that'd cover it." Or, "I think $44,780 makes sense because I am planning on buying a new squeeze chute for my cows and the extra $780 will help me cover the load I would like to take out."

Oh. and anther edit. I was up for annual review a few years ago at a job. I was on line to get the second highest amount for a raise but some one filed a grievence on me because they thought I treated them unfairly because they were an idiot. Well, when they came to my monetary line they had $0 where it should have been at least $1.25. I did not ask anything after they briefly went over that issue and then went to the next part. They then came back to ask if I understood why I did not get any $. I told them I would feel more comfortable to take a pay cut to make an example that it did not bother me one way or another that I did not get a raise. They were not upset by that just entirely confused and refused to reduce my pay, saying they thought I learned my lesson by not getting the extra money. Eventually, after 2 years of working their they realized that I did not give a crap about money.

Edited by jboyst62

Only pushed for it once. Introduced the topic by stating that "I would like to talk about my compensation..." which was well received.

-Make sure you have a number in mind.

-Refrain from using co-workers comp as a benchmark.

-If you can cite median pay figures and stats from other sources, do so to bolster your case.

-Be prepared to talk about what you've done to merit such an increase, how your efforts have translated into efficiencies, cost savings, etc.

If they refuse, "not at this time" type stuff, ask what you would have to do to earn the raise you're looking for, what criteria you'll be judged on, time table, and when your next review will be.

That was the basically the advice my dear mother gave me, who is the director of HR for a pretty large company. Good luck.

Thanks, man. At times like these you always have these thoughts bumping around your noodle. It's helpful to get them from a third party like this.

Tell them you have taken on the work of 3 more people over the year and. Wod like to see it reflected in your pay. Say I am not asking for three times the pay it I would like to see my pay double. Them go from that point.

Tell them you have taken on the work of 3 more people over the year and. Wod like to see it reflected in your pay. Say I am not asking for three times the pay it I would like to see my pay double. Them go from that point.

That's so crazy it just might work.

If you work for a large corporation like I do, good luck. A few years ago at my annual review I decided I was going to ask for a promotion and raise. They had just introduced a new title system and I since had the snazzy pamphlet that laid out all the positions and what was expected to get to that level, I figured I could make a nice case. After looking at it I concluded that I had performed everything and then some for the position two levels above my current one. So I prepared a one page document to take to my review, on the left side was all the bullet points required of the higher position and on the right side I laid out quotations from my previous reviews that showed, in my managers own words, how I had met those requirements. Each and every one of them. All I got back was the usual cost of living increase and a bunch of corporate HR BS speak. I never really believed in the review process before this, but now I know that it's completely useless and serves only to keep a bunch of mid level HR people employed. In fact this year I'm thinking of just cutting and pasting my self assessment into the form from a few years ago, I'm sure it will go unnoticed.

i wouldn't...your boss is an a-hole(granted i am assuming you are your own boss at work...i certainly do not mean to call your wife an a-hole if that is who you meant by 'boss'...in fact your wife deserves sainthood for putting up with you.

I haven't asked for a raise from my "boss" in 12 years.

Edited by The Poojer

I think Boyst's advice of telling them what you WILL do, rather than only what you HAVE done is important. To BillsFanNC's point, I'm in the same boat. We get between 2-4% across the board. I'm happy with 3% (better than a sharp stick in the eye) so I keep my mouth shut. Years ago, I challenged a lower raise and won. But that was more out of principle. The extra 1% I got out of them wasn't getting me a camp on the lake, that's for sure.

Good luck. I hope it goes well.

i wouldn't...your boss is an a-hole(granted i am assuming you are your own boss at work...i certainly do not mean to call your wife an a-hole if that is who you meant by 'boss'...in fact your wife deserves sainthood for putting up with you.

Currently my boss is the President/CEO of a $25million company. Interesting topic seeing I just had my 6 month review on Tuesday. I did not nor have ever asked him for a raise. He is not the one responsible for how much money I make and that's the way I like it.

I think Boyst's advice of telling them what you WILL do, rather than only what you HAVE done is important. To BillsFanNC's point, I'm in the same boat. We get between 2-4% across the board. I'm happy with 3% (better than a sharp stick in the eye) so I keep my mouth shut. Years ago, I challenged a lower raise and won. But that was more out of principle. The extra 1% I got out of them wasn't getting me a camp on the lake, that's for sure.

Good luck. I hope it goes well.

That sounds nice but it doesn't make any sense in application. If you tell them what you WILL do, then they're going to ask you why you aren't already doing it, and then tell you they'll consider giving you a raise after you've done it. Anybody can talk about what they WILL do. I'll increase revenues 5 fold and slash expenses in half, and all you have to do is give me a 20% raise today!

Anyone seeking a raise needs to make their case for why their current responsibilities go above and beyond the job description. How they've added value which supports a raise. Basically, you need to prove that you're performing at 10 and being paid at 6.

Edited by Jauronimo