• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP's link requires sign up.

This one didn't for me.

http://www.buffalone.../130729592/1082

Coachs' father has a Bills play book and reviews all practice film, offering unsolicited advice to his son. His record over the last 45 games he coached? 45-0.

45-0 figures, if he was any good he would have done 100-0

Cue the "how long until Pettine leaves to become a HC" thread.

He will be coaching in Kollege in 3 years, after the Bills go 10 - 38 while blowing 3 more years "re-tooling" their roster to fit Pettine's 3 - 4 scheme. Lets see, they need a nose tackle, two outside LBs, one corner, and that only works if Dareus and Mario can hold the edge in a 3 - 4, which neither one probably will do because 1) Mario will be moved to outside LB where he proved to be pretty useless in Houston after Wade came in, so that's a $15m/year waste of $$. Dareus is a quick quick 3 technique inside one gap guy, so he will fail as a 3 - 4 5 technique two gap guy or a nose tackle, as we saw two years ago. Kyle is a smaller version of Dareus, a 3 - technique guy forced to play undersized as run-stufffer (ha!) at nose tackle instead of shooting the 3 gap which is his game. On paper, its all pretty much f-ed up I'm sorry to say. NFL players don't change their spots too well. This change to a base 3 - 4 looks like a mess. Fortunately, the game is not played on paper and the players will play hard to the whistle, like all Bills teams do to their credit, but the specialized 4 - 3 defensive personnel piled up by Jauron and Nix over the past 5 years simply do not fit what Pettine knows best. We shall see. Hard to be optimistic when coaches, players and schemes are either brand new or the personnel do not fit the scheme, or, in the case of the 2013 Bills, both. Sorry, I am a big Bills fan, but I am pretty down this franchise right now (as you can probably tell). Truth to power.

Edited by 8and8Forever

He will be coaching in Kollege in 3 years, after the Bills go 10 - 38 while blowing 3 more years "re-tooling" their roster to fit Pettine's 3 - 4 scheme. Lets see, they need a nose tackle, two outside LBs, one corner, and that only works if Dareus and Mario can hold the edge in a 3 - 4, which neither one probably will do because 1) Mario will be moved to outside LB where he proved to be pretty useless in Houston after Wade came in, so that's a $15m/year waste of $$. Dareus is a quick quick 3 technique inside one gap guy, so he will fail as a 3 - 4 5 technique two gap guy or a nose tackle, as we saw two years ago. Kyle is a smaller version of Dareus, a 3 - technique guy forced to play undersized as run-stufffer (ha!) at nose tackle instead of shooting the 3 gap which is his game. On paper, its all pretty much f-ed up I'm sorry to say. NFL players don't change their spots too well. This change to a base 3 - 4 looks like a mess. Fortunately, the game is not played on paper and the players will play hard to the whistle, like all Bills teams do to their credit, but the specialized 4 - 3 defensive personnel piled up by Jauron and Nix over the past 5 years simply do not fit what Pettine knows best. We shall see. Hard to be optimistic when coaches, players and schemes are either brand new or the personnel do not fit the scheme, or, in the case of the 2013 Bills, both. Sorry, I am a big Bills fan, but I am pretty down this franchise right now (as you can probably tell). Truth to power.

Someone please save this post by another resident fortune teller.

That's assuming that this is a traditional 3-4, which they've denied. They are calling it a hybrid with all kinds of wrinkles which included 4-3 plays. We'll see how it all plays out, but to your point, I think they brought in Alan Branch as a nose tackle.

This guy is going to give us a defense the likes we haven't seen since, well forever. The closest thing will be when Wade was running the D and shortly after Wade took over as HC And we were in the top 3-5 for a few years. All I want is to beat Marcia Brady's ass every single game we face her in.

Good grief. Go outside and get some sun or something.

Uhhh, didn't he have 5 sacks in like 4 games before being lost for the season in his only time ever spent as an outside LB?

And also, I think the point of the article is that Pettine comes from the Ravens/Steelers/Jets school of thought that positions are overrated and you get your best 11 on the field. Look at the Ravens last year- they had Terrence Cody, who weighs like 370 pounds, playing the end in a 3-4. Why? Because Haloti Ngata plays NT. Obviously Cody would be best suited to play in the middle himself but he earned his playing time so they threw him at end and he was fine. When you start throwing out this "he's a z technique in 4-3 base, he won't even know which was is up in a 3-4" nonsense, you are out-thinking yourself. It's not that complicated. Not to mention, Mario Williams will get plenty of snaps with his hand in the dirt as well. He'll be the same player he's been (not that he's that great) regardless of scheme, trust me on this. They're freaking football players, they'll figure it out. It's not like they're learning a different sport. Maybe I'm forever a Bills optimist, but how can you not get excited about this guy and this defense?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Uhhh, didn't he have 5 sacks in like 4 games before being lost for the season in his only time ever spent as an outside LB?

I was thinking this too. If my memory serves me right (I dont feel like googling right now) I would say you're right on. So much for the, Mario doesnt fit in the 3-4 theory. I'd like to hear his rebuttle, I'm sure there is one.

Great article - loved this line:

“We all spend a lot of time studying people and trying to figure out what can get ’em. There are blitzes where you think nine people are coming and only three are,” said Ravens defensive line coach Clarence Thomas, who worked with Pettine and Ryan. “The timing has a lot to do with it. You have to change things up. You can’t do the same thing all the time."

That seemed to be a HUGE issue last year! It'll be interesting to see what Pettine shows in the preseason - perhaps we'll get more than vanilla...

Also, still amazed that some people *cough*8and8*cough* just KNOW that things are going to be awful. I mean without camp even being open they've written the Bills off. Hell, why not at least hope for the best, rather than fretting disaster...

Great article - loved this line:

“We all spend a lot of time studying people and trying to figure out what can get ’em. There are blitzes where you think nine people are coming and only three are,” said Ravens defensive line coach Clarence Thomas, who worked with Pettine and Ryan. “The timing has a lot to do with it. You have to change things up. You can’t do the same thing all the time."

That seemed to be a HUGE issue last year! It'll be interesting to see what Pettine shows in the preseason - perhaps we'll get more than vanilla...

Also, still amazed that some people *cough*8and8*cough* just KNOW that things are going to be awful. I mean without camp even being open they've written the Bills off. Hell, why not at least hope for the best, rather than fretting disaster...

"Huge" isnt hte word for it, MONUMENTAL issue, and issue larger than space itself, the giant gorilla in the room. It was the key reason we sucked so bad on D last year, IMO!

I am so happy we got Pettine. I had just about written off the Bills then they hired the mustache, this team need to get young all around. I think the best part of this is Pettine is staying in the division. I think that is a big plus since he already knows what these AFC East offenses pretty much will give you.