Met Doug Marrone this past Sunday

I am very interested to see how serious he is about the possibility of going with Hopkins over Lindell

CBF

It'll be Hopkins. He has every advantage...youth, big leg, accuracy. While I've always liked Lindel, he's on the downturn of his career with maybe a a year or two left. He'll catch on somewhere and maybe put together a couple of good seasons, but Kickers with Hopkins' track record don't come around that often. He'll be our K for the next 15 years.

What was so candid? Using Spiller more? Excited about his rookie QB? Cautiously optimistic about an UDFA WR?

Agreed, but I would take everything any coach would say, to anyone at this point in time, with a grain of salt. Rogers will be on thie final 53 as the #5 or 6 WR and play ST. IMHO, this sounds like "we're set @ 1, 2 & 3" and it's hard to make a huge impact as a #4 WR.

Rogers is an immature athlete. Marronne is not going to give him a free ride on the bus. Darrick would have to earn everything at OBD. And he should be thankful for this opportunity.

This is how Marrone rolls...and not just with these type of players, but with everyone on the team. It's because of this that I see this franchise turning around right before our eyes.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be Hopkins. He has every advantage...youth, big leg, accuracy. While I've always liked Lindel, he's on the downturn of his career with maybe a a year or two left. He'll catch on somewhere and maybe put together a couple of good seasons, but Kickers with Hopkins' track record don't come around that often. He'll be our K for the next 15 years.

Bad luck for Lindell that Connor Barth tore his achilles so soon...pretty sure the Bucs would prefer Lindell over Lawrence Tynes. Who knows, might still happen.

Bad luck for Lindell that Connor Barth tore his achilles so soon...pretty sure the Bucs would prefer Lindell over Lawrence Tynes. Who knows, might still happen.

not sure I would call it bad luck...seems to me that Tampa is a year or two ahead of us in the "turn this thing around" game. Also, an achilles injury to a kicker, IMHO, is career threatening.

not sure I would call it bad luck...seems to me that Tampa is a year or two ahead of us in the "turn this thing around" game. Also, an achilles injury to a kicker, IMHO, is career threatening.

The "bad luck" part is in reference to the timing...looking to the future, if Barth's injury happens after the Bills theoretically cut Lindell he probably finds an instant landing spot. The "might still happen" is an acknowledgment he could still wind up there even though they just signed Tynes.

I'm bear-ish on Tampa. I think Schiano is a jerk with his "manufactured" intensity (that b.s. at the end of games w/ the kneel-downs) and they really seemed to quit down the stretch last year. They have some nice pieces on offense (Martin, VJax) but Mike Williams has been shooting his mouth off and Josh Freeman needs to show some consistency.

I'm bear-ish on Tampa. I think Schiano is a jerk with his "manufactured" intensity (that b.s. at the end of games w/ the kneel-downs) and they really seemed to quit down the stretch last year. They have some nice pieces on offense (Martin, VJax) but Mike Williams has been shooting his mouth off and Josh Freeman needs to show some consistency.

Totally agree on Schiano, and the term "manufactured intensity" hits the nail on the proverbial head in describing his douchey persona. That kneel-down nonsense was what you might expect to see from a JV coach who had a few RedBulls at the half.

With Marrone, it seems real genuine (at this point, anyway). And perception is all we have at this point, but from what I have read, Marrone has certainly earned a lot of respect throughout the NFL and college coaching fraternity. And the respect also seems to come in droves from players with whom he has worked as well.

I think that is coach speak for get ready to harass visiting team in hotels with false fire alarms, noise makers, etc.

Tommy hates Buffalo's second rate hotels any way....he should be provided a reason for hating.

I didn't know what to expect opening this thread. I have no idea who the OP, but it appears that some of the most well respected posters are eating up everything he's said, so I guess he's credible then. No "link or it didn't happen" here.

I like what he has to say, he sounds like he has all the ducks in a row. Sounds like he know's what he wants to do and how he wants to do it. If something doesn't go as planned, he sounds like he has the abliity to adapt. Something that has been lacking at the coaching position for some years now. I for one cannot wait for the start of the season!! GO BILLS!!!

Or what his favorite Dustin Hoffman role is.
I really liked him in that made-for-TV movie, "Idiot Kicker."

'Idiot Kicker' was actually the working title of the movie but, after Peyton Manning backed out, Hoffman insisted that they change the title to 'Footsie'.

Thanks for the thread, OP...can't wait for football season. GO BILLS!!!

"It's going to be War."-Doug Marrone

Ok, I think we finally have the right attitude going into the season.

I'm a little surprised that he doesn't feel Rodgers will contribute much this season, but there is a big difference between "Immediate impact season 1" and "Talented player who needs more time to develop" so I would be ok with the latter.

I love it. "It's going to be a war" We haven't heard that in awhile. As far as Schiano, he was brought in to do a job. It's not manufactured his intensity, and discipline. I don't expect people in Buffalo to know as much as I'm a Buffalonian at heart now, I've lived in Tampa for 20 years. He had a locker room lost, from Raheem who was way over his head, and he had to get rid of the cancers on the team, namely Winslow, and Blount. He made one bonehead move with the kneel down debachle, and people in Tampa were pissed. What we love here though is his discipline with the team, passion, and that team did not give up on him. what happened was the team already had the worst passing defense in the NFL, then they were hammered with injuries. Their entire defensive line was hit with injuries, and then they lost their best strength, their offensive line. Carl Nix and Davin Jospeh are road graters and both went out to IR. This hampered the offense. For the comments on Freeman, did you know last year's offense for tampa was the best in Tampa history, even better than their playoff and superbowl years. He had 28 touchdowns to 16 interceptions.

So for the Tampa hater, know what your talking about before you speak. Freeman was in a position where he had to score 32 points every game to be competitive. Now with Revis, Goldston, Barron in a second year, and Wright coming off a suspension during those end of year losses, Tampa's defense will be much better.

Lastly, I'm always for anyone that will respond to this comment, a Bills fan first and will wear my Fred Jackson jersey at the Tampa/Buffalo game along with my two sons who will have their Stevie, and CJ jerseys on. I love my Bills, but really like my Bucs as well. i just hate when people who don't even know the team say things that avid Bucs fans who are well informed know not to be true.

Marrone seems like an interesting dude. I like the fact that he played and he has a little imposing stature to him. I think when he talks....players will pay attention. Unlike some of the light weights that we have had for the past decade. I think that Phillips was the last decent coach that we had who players could really relate to. Some of the others have been nice guys.....but you know what they say.