I hope Dustin Hopkins wins the kicking job

I read the following articles and am really impressed with this kid.

He seems to have a great work ethic and a lot of dedication

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/K-Hopkins-has-honed-his-craft-for-years/a8173c44-5a26-49ac-b190-d491bb5559d6

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/04/27/kicker-hopkins-can-pump-iron/

CBF

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back and forth on this one. Lindell has experience, a better kicking percentage inside the 40, and is one of the nicest guys on the team. Hopkins would be a waste of a 6th rounder if we don't keep him, has great range, has the better percentage outside the 40, kicks into the endzone, is the highest-scoring kicker in NCAA history, (466 points), has been clutch in big games, and has a career long of 56 yards, kicked a 60-yarder in practice, and has longevity on his side. Remember Janikowski had a rocky beginning.

Edited by Astrobot

I'm back and forth on this one. Lindell has experience, a better kicking percentage inside the 40, and is one of the nicest guys on the team. Hopkins would be a waste of a 6th rounder if we don't keep him, has great range, has the better percentage outside the 40, kicks into the endzone, is the highest-scoring kicker in NCAA history, (466 points), has been clutch in big games, and has a career long of 56 yards, kicked a 60-yarder in practice, and has longevity on his side. Remember Janikowski had a rocky beginning.

I feel the same. But I feel like you are better off having experience at that position.

I never understood drafting a kicker. There are only 32 kickers who need a job; there are enough options out there without wasting a draft pick.

Definitely a good

He was good in Tootsie, but I prefer The Graduate, myself.

Definitely a good kicker. Definitely a good kicker.

Wapner at 5. Wapner at 5.

GO BILLS!!!

Outbreak and Rain Man was his best work IMO

CBF

He was good in Tootsie, but I prefer The Graduate, myself.

Everyone ALWAYS overlooks HOOK!

Lindell is the last remnant of...well, a lot of ****ty teams.

I'll give up one or two kicks inside the 40 if it means teams have to respect us 45-55 yards out.

This is another rebuilding year so we might as well see what the kid can do and get him some experience. Highly doubtful a missed kick would mean not making the playoffs. Plus, this is the 2nd year in a row we draft a kicker. It would be really pathetic if neither can make it in the NFL.

On the other hand, Lindell is currently the only player on the roster that is older than me…so keep him so I don’t feel as old!!! :lol:

Definitely a good

Definitely a good kicker. Definitely a good kicker.

Wapner at 5. Wapner at 5.

GO BILLS!!!

K-Mart sux!!! But K9 is ok by me. :thumbsup:

I feel the same. But I feel like you are better off having experience at that position.

I never understood drafting a kicker. There are only 32 kickers who need a job; there are enough options out there without wasting a draft pick.

Read this. Decent: http://nfl.si.com/2012/10/24/more-and-more-kickers-proving-worthy-of-draft-picks/

Even as high as the first round, the draft is a bit of a crapshoot. Get into the third day and the late rounds, and it’s like trying to find a needle in a haystack. So, where’s the logic in drafting the 25th-best linebacker prospect in Round 6 instead of taking the best kicker?

Still not buying it?

Maybe this will help: Five of the top six kickers this season, in terms of field goals made, are draft picks still with their original teams. One is Stephen Gostkowski, a fourth-round pick of the Patriots in 2006, who went 3 for 3 on field goals in last season’s AFC title game, while the undrafted Cundiff shanked a potential game-winner.

There are a high number of undrafted kickers that had loads of success in the NFL — Adam Vinatieri arguably being the most famous case. A kicker draft pick, however, can be among the greatest investments a franchise can make. The top 10 highest-scoring kickers in NFL history have combined for 20,604 points; seven of those players were drafted.

Your kicker will be your highest scorer. There aren't as many "options" out there as you may think. The interesting question was why blow a 6th rounder on some lark who will unlikely make the team or stay for long (see the Bill's history of 6th round picks) or have any impact at all, when you perhaps can pick up the guy who will score the most points on the team and can easily be around 10 or more years.

Makes sense to me.

Plus there's the fact that the Bills passed on Kenjon Barner, Tyler Bray, and Mychal Rivera (broke Witten's receiving records).

http://www.drafttek.com/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round6.asp

I see him as the definite front runner. Spending a 6th rd pick on a kicker means they really want to replace Lindell. I don't blame them and I'll be shocked if Hopkins isn't the guy. His kickoffs are top notch and is a threat beyond 50. Keep him please.