Johnny Football: Drinking problem?

Your point has already been made and refuted by some.

I recently posted this:

For some reason a lot of people posting here are having a hard time distinguishing between a 20 year old BMOC going out drinking on any given night and the same person doing it before a big event (being a celebrity instructor at The Manning Passing Academy is a big deal for all involved) and after being kicked out from said big event.

The guy does something to draw significant negative attention to himself and his response to that is to go out drinking?

I was an irresponsible partyer too but Johnny's actions are a little bit more significant than just going out for a little fun.

He couldn't take ONE night off?

He possibly has a drinking problem.

How would you respond to my comments? It would be nice to move the discussion forward.

Same question to you, KD.

He gets kicked out of a camp where he's supposed to be an instructor and a role model and his response is to go out drinking.

This is a valid question and a valid discussion. Except for one poster (who's an excellent poster btw) there has been no "hand-wringing" and "vitriol."

This episode in Johnny Football's life can be overblown just as it can be blown off and downplayed as if nothing happened.

The appropriate response is somewhere between those two extremes.

Another question for you guys:

What about all the other 20-something QBs who were instructors at the camp that were somehow able to fulfill their obligations and actually instruct the high school kids who look to them as role models and examples?

Rather than repeat the same old "it's no big deal," how about someone take a poke at these questions.

I'll bite.

1) He possibly has a drinking problem. Your point is well-enough argued. He may grow out of it, or he may need actual help.

2) There is definitely not much reason for us to care about it.

3) There may be a reason for a team looking at drafting him to care about it. There may not. There have been worse people making worse mistakes who did better for their NFL franchises (on the field, at least).

4) There certainly is plenty for the Manning camp to care about, because it reflects upon them and the atmosphere they are trying to provide these kids.

5) It sucks for these kids to get this kind of lousy treatment from one of the headline participants

6) At the same time, the Manning camp isn't exactly for poverty-stricken charity cases -- most of these kids are being groomed to become the next generation of college and potentially NFL QBs. They will do fine.

7) Manziel may want to re-evaluate his conduct as it will seriously affect his future earning power. But he could use a role model to kick him in the azz, too, and he won't get that. College football royalty usually gets the white-glove treatment and I doubt his team will do much to stop him if he keeps winning football games.

8) He and Aaron Hernandez are in different universes of humanity and conduct, and that is pretty much the only way that their names should appear in the same sentence.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any serious vitriol is silly, but i dont think that this should be some untouchable topic just cause hes a kid too. there is a balance to be had.

and to be fair, ive been questioning his maturity since before most of the board knew his name and totally fell in love with him... but at that point he was just some backup qb with a funny nickname at a program expected to be beaten up in the SEC. kid comes with a bit of a reputation, even if hes only had a few "incidents." hes played well though. we will see if this are just silly media fueled dramas, or a sign of cracks in the shiny heisman exterior that may get worse.

let the rule changes and burn down the NCAA offices post go. just because one guy melted down doesnt mean the whole world is.

Well, he invoked "drama queen"! I mean, really....I felt like I was Cespedes at the HR derby when he served that one up.

I'll bite.

1) He possibly has a drinking problem. Your point is well-enough argued. He may grow out of it, or he may need actual help.

3) There may be a reason for a team looking at drafting him to care about it. There may not. There have been worse people making worse mistakes who did better for their NFL franchises (on the field, at least).

4) There certainly is plenty for the Manning camp to care about, because it reflects upon them and the atmosphere they are trying to provide these kids.

5) It sucks for these kids to get this kind of lousy treatment from one of the headline participants

6) At the same time, the Manning camp isn't exactly for poverty-stricken charity cases -- most of these kids are being groomed to become the next generation of college and potentially NFL QBs. They will do fine.

7) Manziel may want to re-evaluate his conduct as it will seriously affect his future earning power. But he could use a role model to kick him in the azz, too, and he won't get that. College football royalty usually gets the white-glove treatment and I doubt his team will do much to stop him if he keeps winning football games.

8) He and Aaron Hernandez are in different universes of humanity and conduct, and that is pretty much the only way that their names should appear in the same sentence.

Good answers. Won't stop him from ranting though.

Here's a simple question. Why should anyone care about this, unless (maybe?) you are a TAM fan?

I'll bite.

Thank you.

Good answers, almost exactly what I was looking for as opposed to "don't you remember what it was like to be a 20-year old" or some other missing the point nonsense.

Did someone mention Aaron Hernandez?

Good answers. Won't stop him from ranting though.

Here's a simple question. Why should anyone care about this, unless (maybe?) you are a TAM fan?

Ranting? I was imploring someone/anyone to answer questions which were going unanswered. Unfortunately you weren't up to the task but then again, I wasn't holding my breath.

In answer to your "simple" question, this is a football message board. There have been numerous topics here about Johnny Manziel as there have been about Jadeveon Clowney and other collegiate players.

Kind of a strange question to ask. Apparently a lot of people care because this thread is 6 pages and 101 responses. You have the second most responses with 11.

I've made 8 posts in this thread.

So you tell me… who cares?

Also some advice. If you don't care, then maybe you shouldn't be carrying the ball in my thread.

For those who say this kind of behavior can't have consequences for him come draft day, should ask Manti Te'o, Derrick Rogers, and Ryan Mallet about this.

If he doesn't clean up his act which I hope he does, it could mean the difference from being one of the top guys taken by a team that desperately needs a QB and will insert him into the starting lineup vs. a guy a team that already has a good QB takes a chance on and he rides the pine. Of course Cam got in trouble and was the number 1 pick. So, who knows? This story has a long way to play out until draft day rolls around again.

Ouch - just saw the McCarron interview from media day... Absolutely killed manziel without directly saying much. Many implied digs. Could just be rivalry, could be a real assessment from a peer that knows him.... either way, should be some added SEC drama this year

Edited by NoSaint

Peter King is such a blowhard. LOOK, I'M NOT COMPARING HIM TO RYAN LEAF, BUT HE'S RYAN LEAF! I'm sick of this fat hump and his squishy, hedging, half-truth statements. And who the hell gets a four week vacation anyways? Suck it PK.

After reading your post, it, it looks like you sorta went Ryan Leaf on Peter King a little there.

I do like to read Peter King ... mainly because he is so connected, but I also tend to agree with you in that I find his sunshine-blowing and fence-riding a bit tedious at times.

But that's also exactly why he IS so connected; good reporters cultivate their sources if they want to keep up a pipeline of good copy. If you want to see an example of a talented writer who has burned too many bridges by being a total douche, see Reilly, Rick.

And this story was right in King's wheel-house, and I thought he did his best Cespedes impersonation with it.

Ouch - just saw the McCarron interview from media day... Absolutely killed manziel without directly saying much. Many implied digs. Could just be rivalry, could be a real assessment from a peer that knows him.... either way, should be some added SEC drama this year

Could by McCarron is jealous at the hype around Manziel? McCarron to me is a darn good qb but gets over looked by many because it is perceived that Saban and the D win for Bama.

McCarron had 30 t.ds to 3 int. almost a 68% completion rate and an average yard per attempt of like 9.3. Tell me those are not great numbers?

These stories make me laugh. First off, the only reason this is news in todays society is because of Twitter and stupid social media BS. JM is doing NOTHING that other kids his age (and younger) have been doing forever. It matters now because it gets caught on camera phones and put on the internet for people with no lives to scrutinize (despite doing all the same things themselves). I played HS and College ball and was buying liquor at more than one liquour store since I was 16 years old without being asked for an ID. Kids drink, kids party...in fact, I would argue that kids in my generation (I am 37) partied harder and got away with a lot more because there was no social media and camera phones yet, that was a little bit later.

This is a non story turned into a story because hes a high profile athlete and the media is bored.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Thank you.

Good answers, almost exactly what I was looking for as opposed to "don't you remember what it was like to be a 20-year old" or some other missing the point nonsense.

Did someone mention Aaron Hernandez?

Ranting? I was imploring someone/anyone to answer questions which were going unanswered. Unfortunately you weren't up to the task but then again, I wasn't holding my breath.

In answer to your "simple" question, this is a football message board. There have been numerous topics here about Johnny Manziel as there have been about Jadeveon Clowney and other collegiate players.

Kind of a strange question to ask. Apparently a lot of people care because this thread is 6 pages and 101 responses. You have the second most responses with 11.

I've made 8 posts in this thread.

So you tell me… who cares?

Also some advice. If you don't care, then maybe you shouldn't be carrying the ball in my thread.

Nothing personal, but you are ranting....lol

How many of you saw Kelly, Bruce and so on out at the bars regularly back in the day.

Listen, I agree when partying affects your responsibilities as in the camp you volunteered to help is a problem. But in th e summer out of college I was at 19-20 yrs old out at shooters, sunset, and the brick bar every Friday and Saturday. The only difference is I sucked it up and worked hard the next morning on the loading docks as did all of my friends. You grow out of it as I'm sure most of you.

I agree he needs to make sure his having fun doesn't lead to problems with his team. To say he has a drinking problem is a leap. He just needs to clean up his reputation and say the right things.

Archie nailed him.... Sounds like it wasnt simply oversleeping after having one too many as much as totally blowing the entire thing off to party.

http://deadspin.com/johnny-manziels-manning-camp-saga-mia-friday-night-c-852280565

No one knows for sure where Manziel slept on Friday night, and the exact location is probably none of our damn business. But we do know it wasn’t at a Nicholls State dorm with roomie McCarron. It was reported to Archie Manning that Johnny Football was last seen somewhere on Bourbon Street in New Orleans at around 4 a.m. (The Nicholls campus is about an hour drive from New Orleans).

This was Johnny’s first mistake. Not necessarily going to New Orleans, but lying about it to Archie, who had already been informed by a friend that Manziel was out on Bourbon. Basically Manning gave Manziel the chance to explain himself the next day when Archie already knew full well what had happened and where he was — classic parent move! — but Manziel chose not to tell the truth.

Edited by NoSaint

The best part was him saying he isn't going to change who he is... You don't have to change who you are, just know when you have responsibilities the next morning don't go out drinking. Especially since your behavior will directly result in you losing money for your future profession if you even make it.

Edited by BuffaloFood

The best part was him saying he isn't going to change who he is... You don't have to change who you are, just know when you have responsibilities the next morning don't go out drinking. Especially since your behavior will directly result in you losing money for your future profession if you even make it.

C'mon haven't you heard all the people who did this in their 20s turned out fine and weren't effected at all. Their draft stock for their entry level job wasn't affected at all so this is no big deal. It's the same exact situation as their's!

/s

The NFL is a business and this one incident won't stop him from being drafted and probably wouldn't affect his position much, but a team would surely use it against him. They may try to add something extra into his contract that would not normally be there relating to conduct and they may also try to use it when determining how and when to hand out guaranteed money and Bonuses. Some teams will try to save every dime they can once he is their property.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

if you think the act of consuming a beer is the problem, i think youve missed the issue completely.

i agree its not likely alcoholism as much as general boneheadedness.... you know, giving the cop your fake ID when getting arrested, going out drinking the night you get asked to leave the camp for rumored drinking... the tweet about wanting to leave A&M.... its just not a good look for anybody, yet alone someone you will be handing millions too. im not saying hes Aaron Hernandez here so dont take it as implying that but he generally doesnt have the best rep even outside the reported incidents including a rumored high school arrest that was often discussed with his recruitment. Again, not implying gangster and going to kill someone - but that theres a good chance when you look at the totality of the red flags that hes a bit more ryan leaf than peyton manning.

The other issue he got into a fight ? THERE is no other issue that the one contrived by the mediots and their lemming followers

Fake ID. really?

when he's aimed a gun a d fired it send me an email, then I'll agree that there is a problem

Archie nailed him.... Sounds like it wasnt simply oversleeping after having one too many as much as totally blowing the entire thing off to party.

http://deadspin.com/...ght-c-852280565

The same source (Rumors and Rants) that broke this story also says that "95%" of the QB counselors at this camp go out and drink at night. Posters here have to abandon this crazy and fake "underage drinking" indignation.

As for "draftability", I remember not too long ago, there was a kid who stole a computer from another student, cheated academically, went to three different schools in 3 years and whose father was selling him to the highest bidder (and there were plenty)? What was that guy's name? What ever became of him after the "NFL GMs" ruled him undraftable because of all of this? Anybody know?

The same source (Rumors and Rants) that broke this story also says that "95%" of the QB counselors at this camp go out and drink at night. Posters here have to abandon this crazy and fake "underage drinking" indignation.

As for "draftability", I remember not too long ago, there was a kid who stole a computer from another student, cheated academically, went to three different schools in 3 years and whose father was selling him to the highest bidder (and there were plenty)? What was that guy's name? What ever became of him after the "NFL GMs" ruled him undraftable because of all of this? Anybody know?

Agreed. And I believed at the time that these character red flags were worth worrying about as regards Newton.

He hasn't exactly won any playoff games yet, but he is an impressive and dynamic athlete who could win in the NFL with the right team and philosophy.