Another reason I genuinely like Rex Ryan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Another" reason implies there was one to begin with.

Look, I don't like the Jets (obviously), but anyone who has ever played for him has said that he's fair and honest -- far more honest than most coaches, if players are to be believed. He also has a sharp coaching mind. I find him entertaining and fun. He brings life to the league, in contrast to the grim Belichicks and bland Jaurons of the world. In short, he comes across as a person who wears his heart on his sleeve and loves life. The fact that he's a Jets coach is neither here nor there.

because he plays pretend baseball?

Have you ever played Strat-o-matic? Are you familiar with the culture of it? Here's a pretty cool article about it: http://cnnsi.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?expire=&title=The+story+of+Strat-O-Matic+and+its+founder%2C+Hal+Richman+-+Joe+Lemire+-+SI.com&urlID=446593262&action=cpt&partnerID=678912&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillustrated.cnn.com%2F2011%2Fwriters%2Fjoe_lemire%2F02%2F10%2Fstrat.o.matic%2Findex.html

Look, I don't like the Jets (obviously), but anyone who has ever played for him has said that he's fair and honest -- far more honest than most coaches, if players are to be believed. He also has a sharp coaching mind. I find him entertaining and fun. He brings life to the league, in contrast to the grim Belichicks and bland Jaurons of the world. In short, he comes across as a person who wears his heart on his sleeve and loves life. The fact that he's a Jets coach is neither here nor there.

i think you are giving him too much credit - I think how he handled the stuff with pettine the last few years was questionable at best, and depending on behind the scenes was potentially bad. I said this before pettine was our guy too. I think how he has handled guys like santonio has been utterly poor. the locker room is a circus and that falls on him.

hes a good Xs and Os guy, and generally his shortcomings are entertaining because he is a jet but i dont think hes particularly likable.

I watched a lengthy interview last year with Rex and he came across as a very down to earth, likable, charismatic guy. I'm sure that growing up with Buddy Ryan as your father wasn't all peaches and cream, and being in the spotlight in the NYC Jersey scene has to be downright awful, but he still keeps his head up and doesn't take himself too seriously.

He loves the players on his team and he has great relationships with his guys. He talked for a long time about team chemistry and the importance of character and the standards he has for his guys that he lays out for them when they become Jets.

I agree with Dave's take, that compared to the zero-personality Jaurons and Belichicks of the world, Rex is entertaining and the league is better with him in it.

I still hate him on Sundays though, and love beating those punks..........

Ditto on all of the above. I see the same thing.

I really enjoyed watching him in Hard Knocks. If he were the Bills' coach, I bet most people here would love him.

He loves the players on his team and he has great relationships with his guys. He talked for a long time about team chemistry and the importance of character and the standards he has for his guys that he lays out for them when they become Jets.

he talks a big game with it, but i dont think he backs it up near as much as many give him credit for. look at that teams chemisty, and character and ask if hes following through on those standards?

I disagree with your liking of RR. He may be entertaining but that should be backed up by solid coaching and handling of the locker room. By all measures, his team routinely looks disorganized over the course of the season.

His biggest failing, IMHO, is his handling of the QB situation. I am not sure how much control or influence he has over personnel decisions, but I would think he has a fair amount of input. Given that, sticking with Sanchez, getting Tebow and finally drafting Geno Smith looks totally haphazard and without direction.

There is little to like about him. He is perhaps a very good DC but as a HC, I think he is terrible. Which, as a BIlls fan, I should be totally thrilled about.

I disagree with your liking of RR. He may be entertaining but that should be backed up by solid coaching and handling of the locker room. By all measures, his team routinely looks disorganized over the course of the season.

His biggest failing, IMHO, is his handling of the QB situation. I am not sure how much control or influence he has over personnel decisions, but I would think he has a fair amount of input. Given that, sticking with Sanchez, getting Tebow and finally drafting Geno Smith looks totally haphazard and without direction.

He rode Snachez to conseutive AFCC games. No one better came along to replace Sanchez, who was only in his 4th year last year. Why wouldn't they draft his replacement now?

There is little to like about him. He is perhaps a very good DC but as a HC, I think he is terrible. Which, as a BIlls fan, I should be totally thrilled about.

The Ryan (and Snachez) led Jets are 6-2 vs. the Bills. Why should you be "totally thrilled" about that?

The Ryan (and Snachez) led Jets are 6-2 vs. the Bills. Why should you be "totally thrilled" about that?

0-1 in the only game that matters -- the last one. And please tell us you don't believe the way Rex has handled the Jets' offense the past two seasons is anything short of incompetent.

To a larger point, I really don't understand why you insist upon defending coaches/teams/players who oppose the Bills on a Bills message board. Seems counterintuitive -- you really think you're changing any minds?

0-1 in the only game that matters -- the last one. And please tell us you don't believe the way Rex has handled the Jets' offense the past two seasons is anything short of incompetent.

To a larger point, I really don't understand why you insist upon defending coaches/teams/players who oppose the Bills on a Bills message board. Seems counterintuitive -- you really think you're changing any minds?

I am not "defending" anyone. You are confusing rebutting incorrect statements, or strange ones, with "defending" others. Look how the Bills have managed the offense over the past...pick a number...of seasons. Yet near uniform support of clowns like Gailey and Jauron and Mularkey before him was all we saw on this site.

Why would a Bills fans be thrilled about a guy who has handed their team's collective dick to them for 4 years? What is counterintuitve, is talking crap about other teams in our division who we struggle to beat except every few years. When you are on the bottom looking up, it doesn't make sense to run your mouth about the fellows keeping you down. You can do so when you dominate them.

Doesn't that make more sense?