Colin Kaepernick in a Dolphins hat

To add to what NoSaint said, if this happened to EJ Manuel or Kevin Kolb, the topic would be 15 pages by now and people here would be freaking out.

As your post implies, this is disloyal behavior. The Niners drafted him. They pay him.

On top of that he's the quarterback meaning he's the face of the franchise and bears a higher standard of behavior than the non-QB players. There's a reason QBs are expected to be the first player in, the last player out, the guy who organizes voluntary workouts on his own dime, and who when successful becomes the highest-paid player on the team.

How many other NFL QBs have ever been caught flying a competitors colors?

IMO this is really stupid behavior by Kaepernick and if this happened to one of the Bills QBs I'd be really pissed off.

I agree, the only think that could make this more shocking is if Kaepernick was wearing a Biils hat. Nobody that isn't a Bills fan buys Bills stuff. No kid trying to put more hip in his hop buys a Bills hat.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as ridiculous as this may sound, it seems that if a team is paying you millions of dollars (i know, he's still on a second round draft pick deal) and you know that football fans are not quite right in the head, and that everyone and their brother now has a camera phone, then maybe you should stick to your own team's gear. especially in the offseason when people are just pouncing on any little thing they can blow out of proportion and make a story of.

I agree. They are paying him to be the face of their team. Act like it. As an example, If you are an executive at Company A, you better believe you would be in trouble for wearing a golf shirt from a competitors company. Wear an MLB or NHL or NBA hat if you want to "color match" or whatever.

I agree. They are paying him to be the face of their team. Act like it. As an example, If you are an executive at Company A, you better believe you would be in trouble for wearing a golf shirt from a competitors company. Wear an MLB or NHL or NBA hat if you want to "color match" or whatever.

Yet other than the company's board of directors and large shareholders, who would really care? Would people who are fans of Tide laundry detergent really be outraged by the CEO of P&G's choice of shirt? That seems to be where all the examples deviate from the reality of people's reactions here.

I think he should be allowed to dress how he wants in his personal life.

The problem is that Kaep is an NFL quarterback thus he's a public person and as has been illustrated in this very case, there is not a firewall between his personal and private life.

It's uncommon, sure. But really, the fans shouldn't care as long as he's out there on Sundays doing his job well, and he's not breaking any laws/harming anyone when not at work. I understand why it's weird... but I think people should be more objective about it. Let's say I'm a life long Bills fan, and I get drafted to the Raiders, do I stop being a Bills fan because I play on another team? Nah. Do I stop playing hard because I'm not on the Bills? Nah. I bet it's fairly common for players to root for other teams, but in private. So one guy gets caught in a hat, and people blow up about it? It just seems like a whole lot of something for a whole lot of nothing. Was it a bad choice, knowing how people react to these things? Possibly. But should he care? Probably not.

I know that you see both sides of the discussion but I think it's more proper for a guy in his position to "toe the line" as opposed to asking millions of a team's fans to be understanding. I understand what you're saying about objectivity, etc but what you're saying is very unrealistic. On the other hand, asking Kaep to behave like every other NFL QB in history is not unrealistic.

I don't care what my employer thinks about my personal life, because I keep the two separate. I stay out of trouble, and my employer doesn't inquire about the rest.

Again, (I'm sure you got my point the first time but) you're a private person. Kaepernick is a public person.

BTW, as a slight tangent, the next step beyond what Kaepernick did was if a golfer who was sponsored by Nike was caught wearing a Callaway cap. Employer vs corporate sponsor is not quite equivalent but it's getting pretty close.

Like you said, I understand the points. I just disagree with them. But then again, I think "stars" deserve more privacy than they get. So I'm probably the wrong person for this discussion. I wouldn't care at all if a Bills player did the same, as long as they were professional with their job.

Like you said, I understand the points. I just disagree with them. But then again, I think "stars" deserve more privacy than they get. So I'm probably the wrong person for this discussion. I wouldn't care at all if a Bills player did the same, as long as they were professional with their job.

I disagree. All depends on the star. Some crave public attention and beg for privacy when things go sour. Celebrity status cuts both ways.

Examples of "stars" who manages their privacy well is Jodie Foster, several top tennis players....

Another point to all of this that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is/was Kaep's twitter reaction to those who called him out on the gaffe (which I understand has been since removed). Would Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers, et al have lashed back at fans in this manner? The answer is "it's irrelevant" because they would have never done it in the first place, but you get my drift. A franchise QB in the NFL has to have more awareness than Kaep showed under these circumstances.

Kaep may be a smart guy, but he definitely erred in judgment here. It's impossible to win a twitter battle, and once you piss off your fans good luck getting them back.

Face it, players don't care that much about the team as fans do. Their team can cut them the second they get injured. Why should a player ever be loyal to a team? The Pats just cut a guy with treatable diabetes.

That said, I'd be pissed if Manuel was wearing another NFL teams hat. But it's not a divisional or conference rival. But Kaep should know better.

• 3 weeks later...