The Realization of Getting Old

ajzepp

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, might have to look into that...progressives. Right now, I walk around the reading glasses, way down low on my nose, so I can see over them for distances...works okay, but I swear, it gives me an headache, constantly shifting my eyes back and forth.

Just in the last two months I feel like the eyes have gotten very noticably, worse. I can't live in denial on this issue any more. I used to have the reading glasses strictly for low-lighting situations, but now, the lighting doesn't matter...I just can't see **** right n front of my face...I thought it was becasue I am normally going on 4 hours of sleep every day and my eyes always feel tired...but now i think it is just the ravages of old age...I have a big family (6 sisters and a brother), and everyone, except my broter and I, had pretty bad eye-sight pretty early on...I was always the one who got called in to find a contact lens that was dropped on the floor...but now, diminishing eyesight, and chronic sore knees have taken all my super powers away...very humbling!

Look in to progressives. That glasses on the end of the nose is not a good look. Might as well wear them around your neck on a chain. :lol:

Oh man so many things…

When I said to my wife “those kids are playing their music way too loud”

I guess it depends on if you're saying that because you dislike their music or just loud music in general. I have a great sound system in my car and wish it could go louder. My ears ring for hours after I've been driving.

I've got tri-focals. Didn't take that much getting used to, now I don't even notice the subtle head nod adjustments

Right there with you...still like my music loud!

I guess it depends on if you're saying that because you dislike their music or just loud music in general. I have a great sound system in my car and wish it could go louder. My ears ring for hours after I've been driving.

I'm 56. Noticed about 3-4 years ago that I hold on to the railing and look at my feet whenever I go down stairs. When I got bifocals (progressives) at about 40, the eye doctor said that was about the normal age that people needed them. I've had glasses since 7th grade.

I geocache and when I meet a two-three foot retaining wall that I used to jump down off of, I sit on the top and ease myself down. Got a high ankle sprain last June from stepping in an animal hole. Since then I am afraid of spraining it from the jump or messing up my knees or breaking something.

Sometimes it nice to take an hour nap after lunch or dinner.

The girls that got pregnant right after HS have 37 year old kids.

Eating at 4 or 4:30 PM isn't a sign, as my father worked nights, slept in the AM and mom had dinner ready when he woke up.

Edited by Wacka

I'm 56. Noticed about 3-4 years ago that I hold on to the railing and look at my feet whenever I go down stairs. When I got bifocals (progressives) at about 40, the eye doctor said that was about the normal age that people needed them. I've had glasses since 7th grade.

I geocache and when I meet a two-three foot retaining wall that I used to jump down off of, I sit on the top and ease myself down. Got a high ankle sprain last June from stepping in an animal hole. Since then I am afraid of spraining it from the jump or messing up my knees or breaking something.

Sometimes it nice to take an hour nap after lunch or dinner.

The girls that got pregnant right after HS have 37 year old kids.

Eating at 4 or 4:30 PM isn't a sign, as my father worked nights, slept in the AM and mom had dinner ready when he woke up.

Here's another thing I noticed about getting old. All of the people my age are complaining about getting old. :rolleyes:

So for the last half an hour, I've been on the toilet. What's the big deal, you may ask? I mean, 30 min is about right anyway...time enough to get comfortable, start the pre-dump activities, find the appropriate reading material, get in a good power wipe at the end, and then hit the soap and water. Well, the problem in this instance is that for the last 20 of those 30 mins, I was asleep. I've dozed off in some odd places before, but the toilet?? I woke up and my legs were both completely asleep, so I had to shift my butt side to side to let the blood flow get back in there...then I stood up just in time for the pins and needles to hit, which is always fun.

I turned41 in May, and I guess I was sort of waiting for that one important moment that would just epitomize my transition to the "later" years of my life, and I think this may have been it. Anyone else have a story of when it first became clear that they'd hit the point of no return?

Wait - what's this about soap and water?

So for the last half an hour, I've been on the toilet. What's the big deal, you may ask? I mean, 30 min is about right anyway...time enough to get comfortable, start the pre-dump activities, find the appropriate reading material, get in a good power wipe at the end, and then hit the soap and water. Well, the problem in this instance is that for the last 20 of those 30 mins, I was asleep. I've dozed off in some odd places before, but the toilet?? I woke up and my legs were both completely asleep, so I had to shift my butt side to side to let the blood flow get back in there...then I stood up just in time for the pins and needles to hit, which is always fun.

I turned41 in May, and I guess I was sort of waiting for that one important moment that would just epitomize my transition to the "later" years of my life, and I think this may have been it. Anyone else have a story of when it first became clear that they'd hit the point of no return?

Old Chinese saying, better to be 80 years young than 40 years old. 41 is way to young to be feeling old. Get off the can, get to the gym, and start having a positive outlook.

I'm 56 years old, an average day consists of 8-10 hours of landscaping work, 1-2 hours at the gym, 1/2 - 2 hours of looking in on/shopping/cooking for my 94/95 year old parents (they golfed regularly until they were 92), going home and catching the late news. 2-3 days a week throw in a softball game. Just sayin, being old at 41 is a choice as is being young at 80.

Edited by Steve O

Old Chinese saying, better to be 80 years young than 40 years old. 41 is way to young to be feeling old. Get off the can, get to the gym, and start having a positive outlook.

I'm 56 years old, an average day consists of 8-10 hours of landscaping work, 1-2 hours at the gym, 1/2 - 2 hours of looking in on/shopping/cooking for my 94/95 year old parents (they golfed regularly until they were 92), going home and catching the late news. 2-3 days a week throw in a softball game. Just sayin, being old at 41 is a choice as is being young at 80.

Sir, yes SIR!!! :thumbsup:

I have two bad knees and two bad shoulders. I've worked through the pain of them (going bad one at a time) for years to various degrees of success, now I have some really bad pain in my right elbow. It's really getting ridiculous.

It's amazing how much longer it takes to get in shape, or how quickly it takes to lose it once you're in decent shape.

This is killing me right now. I've always tried to stay in decent shape, but it's very difficult for me now. I still run between 1 and 2 miles most mornings, but it hardly seems to put a dent in my fitness level. The weight just keeps adding on (mostly due to my eating habits, which really do catch up to you as you get older) and exercise doesn't cut it anymore.

I am 53 we just had a baby (first one) 1 year and 3 months ago (today). I knew I should have had kids at a younger age and I was right. Suddenly I look older too, used to be people took me for 10-15 years younger than I am (actually another sign of old age right there), THAT doesn't even happen anymore. I still am not fat and do some sorts of exercise try to eat good but not too much most days but aging does suck. It is attitude though Steve O is right (working in a physical job can be a good thing too, my granddad was a carpenter until he was 86 lived to be 92) but not everyone can or wants to.

BTW in Thailand we have (almost all toilets here do, if they aren't squatters) a little hose next to the toilet (like the ones on your sink for doing the dishes, a sort of economy bidet if you will), I have no idea how I ever did without it. One of the best inventions ever.

:w00t: :worthy:

Nope

Worst part is seeing photos of people from a class reunion on Facebook and thinking "OMG what a bunch of old farts" and then wondering whether I look just as old... :nana:

I have a good friend who is in his early 60's. When people ask how old he is he tells them 70. They all say "wow, you look great!" Good strategy if you ask me.