Meathead guest hosting on SiriusXM NFL Radio today...

eball

So I was driving home for lunch and turned on Sirius, to discover that none other than our old friend Mike Mularkey was guest hosting the midday show along with one of the regular hosts.

First caller I heard came right out of the gate and asked Mularkey why he walked away from the Bills. MM wouldn't divulge too many specifics but said the "direction the organization was heading" wasn't something he agreed with. He did, however, reference the decision to cut Bledsoe and start Losman after "all of the momentum" the team had built with their run at the end of the 2004 season. Certainly made it sound as though he was "told" to start Losman over the wishes of himself and the veterans on the team.

It was a curious comment, since MM also said he had a good relationship with Donahoe going back to their days in Pittsburgh. We have always been led to believe Ralph had stepped away when he made Donahoe president/GM, so was it Donahoe who pushed Losman on MM or Ralph? Donahoe was fired after the 2005 season, shortly before MM resigned.

One more thing -- MM said the Pats* "had to have known" AH was up to no good. He said there is so much information brought to the HC's attention during the season about what different players are up to.

I couldn't listen to any more of the show so if anyone heard additional commentary please share.

Edited by eball

So I was driving home for lunch and turned on Sirius, to discover that none other than our old friend Mike Mularkey was guest hosting the midday show along with one of the regular hosts.

First caller I heard came right out of the gate and asked Mularkey why he walked away from the Bills. MM wouldn't divulge too many specifics but said the "direction the organization was heading" wasn't something he agreed with. He did, however, reference the decision to cut Bledsoe and start Losman after "all of the momentum" the team had built with their run at the end of the 2004 season. Certainly made it sound as though he was "told" to start Losman over the wishes of himself and the veterans on the team.

It was a curious comment, since MM also said he had a good relationship with Donahoe going back to their days in Pittsburgh. We have always been led to believe Ralph had stepped away when he made Donahoe president/GM, so was it Donahoe who pushed Losman on MM or Ralph? Donahoe was fired after the 2005 season, shortly before MM resigned.

One more thing -- MM said the Pats* "had to have known" AH was up to no good. He said there is so much information brought to the HC's attention during the season about what different players are up to.

I couldn't listen to any more of the show so if anyone heard additional commentary please share.

you have to think they were comfortable enough with the bad boy act being mostly bark no bite when they extended him... I don't like the Patriots, I also don't believe for a second they thought they guy was going to commit homicides, and lastly, I empathize with their oragnization- no organization should have to find out one of their members has probably killed 3 if not more human beings...

I think Kevin Costner look-alike Mike Mularkey got the impression that he would get yanked mid-season if The Bills didn't do well in 2005, and new GM Marv Levy would get his self-proclaimed wish to "return to coaching" at MM's expense. That made the most sense to me at the time, and it still does. Remember, we went from HC to being a TE position coach when he flipped Ralph/Marv off.

Hopefully the Bills have some organizational success with Whaley and Marrone. I am saying this not simply as a fan but for their place in the NFL more broadly. The franchise has been a joke both on the field and off for the last decade. Time for a new day.

I think any veteran poster definitely thought that the title of this thread referred to the poster named meathead. Which would've been a much more interesting and noteworthy thread as far as I'm concerned. I'm as big a Bills fan as there is and I'm not sure I've ever heard Mike Mularkey referred to as "meathead." Was he like a dumb guy or something?

he has meathead qualities...

i think what was meant by Pats knowing what he was up to is that he had gotten into some trouble... and that they likely knew it wasn't just obstruction when they released him... NOT of course that they knew he was dangerous when they gave him the extension.

and it had to be Donahoe that wanted Losman. i mean, with the story today of how Ralph pal'd around with Troy Vincent, who notoriously broke JP's leg, i'd have to think that Ralph would know if the team was not behind him. Still, the momentum MM refers to was stopped by their inability to stop the Steelers backups in final 2004 game. Losman's inability to do anything against a cover-2 came later (and i seem to remember Belichik calling out Bledsoe helpless against the cover-2 as well).

Edited by Brainiac21

I think any veteran poster definitely thought that the title of this thread referred to the poster named meathead. Which would've been a much more interesting and noteworthy thread as far as I'm concerned. I'm as big a Bills fan as there is and I'm not sure I've ever heard Mike Mularkey referred to as "meathead." Was he like a dumb guy or something?

not me. I thought for sure he was talking about Gronk.

Were you on this board back then? Meathead was pretty widely utilized.

yea, I mean c'mon, his password was superbowl. That is a terrible password, it doesn't use a number of special symbol!

Edited by jeremy2020

and i was wondering what rob reiner knew about football. yeah i guess i am getting old

I worked in a restaurant in Beverly Hills where Rob would come in pretty much every day. And that Meathead title was well deserved. What a loudmouth a-hole.

you have to think they were comfortable enough with the bad boy act being mostly bark no bite when they extended him... I don't like the Patriots, I also don't believe for a second they thought they guy was going to commit homicides, and lastly, I empathize with their oragnization- no organization should have to find out one of their members has probably killed 3 if not more human beings...

The Cheatriots*** extended AH at the very end of August last year.

AH had a domestic disturbance and multiple noise complaints in June of last year although his girlfriend didn't want him to be arrested.

In 2007, he cold cocked a bar manager while drinking in a Florida bar.

So yes, their contract extension was either due to recklessness or obliviousness.

I don't "empathize" (sympathize is probably the more correct word) with any team that did what the Cheatriots*** did, extending AH. They took a stupid risk and it blew up in their faces. If the Bills extended a thug and the same thing happened, I wouldn't sympathize with the Bills either and New England being New England, I have less than zero sympathy for them.

Feeling sorry for New England is almost as ridiculous as feeling sorry for the NFL. They're a multi-billion dollar business that takes plenty of calculated risks.

I can't fathom why anyone would feel sorry for the league or the team. I'll save my sympathy for the victim, the victim's family, and the dozens of lives that have been impacted by this assassination.

I thought you meant this guy.

http://forums.twobil.../6172-meathead/

:lol: That was my first reaction too!

It's a good thing it wasn't our Meathead. It's really hard to tell what he's saying with all that Saran Wrap over his face.

and it had to be Donahoe that wanted Losman. i mean, with the story today of how Ralph pal'd around with Troy Vincent, who notoriously broke JP's leg, i'd have to think that Ralph would know if the team was not behind him.

Ralph pal'd around with Troy Vincent?

That's interesting. Did they have a regular Canasta game or something?

:)

He also said something to the effect that there is still an element of that within the organization today. He was being very cryptic but he seemed to be taking a shot at Brandon and Wilson, IMO. Basically, saying that the Bills still have issues at the top in spite of the changes made. Could be true or could just be a case of sour grapes.

Agreed.

Edited by ExWNYer

He also said something to the effect that there is still an element of that within the organization today. He was being very cryptic but he seemed to be taking a shot at Brandon and Wilson, IMO. Basically, saying that the Bills still have issues at the top in spite of the changes made. Could be true or could just be a case of sour grapes.

Yeah I heard that too. You're right, it was very cryptic. He said something like, "only my wife and I know the whole story." Get over it, dude -- clearly the rest of the NFL hasn't been knocking down your door with HC opportunities, and the one you just had ended abruptly.

We all know the Bills' front office has been dysfunctional for a very long time, but things are 180 degrees from when Mularkey quit. Ralph "retiring" was a good first step. I believe Nix did at least a passable job building up the roster, and Whaley seems primed to move the team forward. Brandon appears to be a smart executive managing the ship, and there's a much younger, energetic coaching staff in place.

Mike Mularkey isn't going to be a HC in the NFL again, if I had to guess.