TJ is a seahawk again

Did not see this posted earlier.

http://www.nfl.com/n...s-sign-contract

The Bills got zero out of the deal other than paying ~3M to TJ to not dress up for 16 games.

Between the Merriman "re" re-signing, the Kelsay extension, and TJ, Nix got absolutely zero return on the millions paid by Ralph Wilson. If Wilson was still competent, Nix would have been fired long before he retired.

Between the Merriman "re" re-signing, the Kelsay extension, and TJ, Nix got absolutely zero return on the millions paid by Ralph Wilson. If Wilson was still competent, Nix would have been fired long before he retired.

I don't feel like doing the research the day before a holiday, but I'd wager I could come up with similar examples from 25+ teams if I poked around the net a bit.

It's just a cost of doing business, and one that represents 0.00000002% of Ralph's (or any owner's) fortune...

$hitt happens.

He was always an insurance policy--and a wasted 7th round pick and some of Ralph's money were the premium they paid to have that coverage. Then they shopped around (i.e., the draft), got better coverage for less money (EJ) and said "Thanks TJ for letting us sleep at night, goodbye and good luck."

No big deal...

It is 2013, different faces so it is no big deal now...but if you sign a vetran QB as an "insurance policy", and the vetran QB you have is throwing away your season, what does it say about you mgmt/coaching if you have one guy who is playing awful (Fitz), and two guy backing him up that you are afraid to give snap to, let alone a start (Thigpen), or even let dress for a game (TJ)? It was a bad move all the way around. Bring on the new era...

Edited by Buftex

My only reservation is that if they wanted a veteran backup, why keep Kolb and not Jackson? In addition to sucking, Kolb is also fragile. I want EJ Manuel to start immediately. Even if Jackson was still on the roster, I'd want Manuel to start. I'd just feel better having Jackson a) mentoring him and b) backing him up.

I see zero good coming from Kolb being on the roster.

While i understand you saying that i also have to wonder how much of Kolbs production or lack there of came from his surroundings in Arizona?

He played behind arguably the worst Oline in the last few years. Arizona had no running back. Yes they have an elite WR, but if he is the only play maker on the field, teams can shut down a WR. Is Kolb the next great Bills QB? Doubtful. I do think he will make the coaches have a tough decision by the end of preseason as to who starts.

My only reservation is that if they wanted a veteran backup, why keep Kolb and not Jackson? In addition to sucking, Kolb is also fragile. I want EJ Manuel to start immediately. Even if Jackson was still on the roster, I'd want Manuel to start. I'd just feel better having Jackson a) mentoring him and b) backing him up.

I see zero good coming from Kolb being on the roster.

You sound a lot like a guy that doesn't know what he's talking about. There are experts just like yourself in the City of Oakland that waited with baited breath for Jamarcus Russel to start. Be careful what you wish for, sir. It is entirely possible that EJ will not work out. Do I want this to happen?.....no freakin way Bro. I was all over EJ to be drafted by us. BUT.....if he looks like a fish out of H2O in preseason he needs to ride the pine. Make no mistake about it, Kolb is a good QB and I'm damn happy we picked him up.

jb

Did not see this posted earlier.

http://www.nfl.com/n...s-sign-contract

The Bills got zero out of the deal other than paying ~3M to TJ to not dress up for 16 games.

Hopefully the Bills as a team moving forward have learned from mistakes like this & others in the past & won't have any more blunders as far as this & giving away Carder & Asper that we let walk so he could be put on the practice squad .

2 more draft picks wasted , Asper could have taken Levetries place on the O line ...

Incidentally, I read somewhere in the last day or two, that Jackson could very well be cut by the Seahawks before the summer is over...if that happens, he most likely signs with a team that suffers an injury at the position.

Well if that happens he'll have collected two signing bonuses without having played a down.

I'm not sure what his Seattle signing bonus was but the Bills paid him a cool $500K.

It'll be interesting to see how much longer he can milk out his career. Some of these guys end up having very long careers… especially if they work hard, set a good example and say the right things (when they say anything at all).

Come to think of it, I'd be curious to know how much TJax has made so far in his career.

You sound a lot like a guy that doesn't know what he's talking about. There are experts just like yourself in the City of Oakland that waited with baited breath for Jamarcus Russel to start. Be careful what you wish for, sir. It is entirely possible that EJ will not work out. Do I want this to happen?.....no freakin way Bro. I was all over EJ to be drafted by us. BUT.....if he looks like a fish out of H2O in preseason he needs to ride the pine. Make no mistake about it, Kolb is a good QB and I'm damn happy we picked him up.

jb

You have the most natural ability to be a dick. Just saying.

Because we traded a Draft Pic for him but he never played a down as we died an ugly death with Fitz at the helm. Then, after the season, we (Buddy) signed him to a new, more $$ contract to compete for the vacant position. But after we Drafted Manuel, we kicked him to the curb. Obsessively ridiculous!

Are you saying its ridiculous to be obsessed with TJ?

I agree.

Who cares what the 3rd string QB makes? It was a couple 100K above an average 3rd string QB. These couple of 100K don't matter to a team that was under the cap.

The 7th rounder? Well we could have another "kick off speacilist" or TJ. Neither will add more Ws.

Also when will people realize he didn't dress because TJax is horrible at playing QB in the NFL.

He was horrible in Minnesota, horrible in Seattle and so horrible in Buffalo that a guy names Tuel beat him out for 3rd string QB.

The TJ episode is a non event.

Well if that happens he'll have collected two signing bonuses without having played a down.

I'm not sure what his Seattle signing bonus was but the Bills paid him a cool $500K.

It'll be interesting to see how much longer he can milk out his career. Some of these guys end up having very long careers… especially if they work hard, set a good example and say the right things (when they say anything at all).

Come to think of it, I'd be curious to know how much TJax has made so far in his career.

Like Charlie Batch with the Pittsburgh Steelers !

It appears he made roughly 4M with the Vikings, and possibly another 4M with the Seahawks before getting shipped to the Bills and made the remaining 4M with the Bills as part of the trade....He made another 500K as signing bonus this year. His contract with the Seahawks this year is 840K and will be guaranteed if he is on their roster on Season opening day.....That roughly put his career earnings @ 13.3M. Of course, I am sure he has earned other money through endorsements for advertisers around the Minnesota and Seattle areas.

TRANSACTIONS

Jun 14 2013

Signed a 1 year $840k contract with Seattle (SEA)

Jun 10 2013

Released by Buffalo (BUF) Feb 15 2013

Signed a 1 year $1.75 million contract with Buffalo (BUF) Jul 29 2011

Signed a 2 year $8 million contract with Seattle (SEA) Apr 19 2010

Signed a 1 year $1.176 million contract with Minnesota (MIN) Jul 26 2006

Signed a 4 year $2.665 million contract with Minnesota (MIN) Apr 29 2006

Drafted by Minnesota (MIN): Round 2 (#64 overall)

Thanks Ganesh!

Charlie Batch is the perfect comparison. TJax could be another Charlie Batch.

And man, that's a lot of coin!

Yup. Charlie Batch signed up with the Steelers as a backup at the starting of the 2002 season (prior to them even drafting Rothelisberger) and since then has played in about roughly 13 games (and started about 6 of them). 10 Seasons and roughly a game a season. (He was on Injured Reserve in 2004 and 2008). And I believe he did not take any snap in 2007 and 2011 seasons even though he was dressed as a 2nd or 3rd QB on the team. Even if it was Veteran minimum, he has probably made close to 11M in those 10 years. Having said all that, Batch is one of the great Hometown heros of Pittsburgh. He has spent quite a chunk of that change back in his community of Homestead in Pittsburgh. Great guy, if you get a chance to meet him.

Of course, one of the interesting aspects of Batch's life is that he filed for Bankruptcy Protection (Chapter 7) in 2011, citing heavy losses in failed businesses. (http://pittsburgh.sb...atch-bankruptcy). Apparently, he was in about 8.3M in Debts. And in June 2011, the courts gave him a real deal wherein they forgave him for all his debts and he walked free (http://profootballta...-in-bankruptcy/).

Apr 16 2012 Signed a 1 year $990k contract with Pittsburgh (PIT)

Mar 26 2010 Signed a 2 year $1.72 million contract with Pittsburgh (PIT)

Apr 19 2009 Signed a 1 year $795k contract with Pittsburgh (PIT)

Mar 14 2006 Signed a 3 year $4.22 million contract with Pittsburgh (PIT)

Apr 26 2005 Signed a 1 year $565k contract with Pittsburgh (PIT)

Mar 14 2003 Signed a 2 year $1.8 million contract with Pittsburgh (PIT)

Jun 17 2002 Signed a 1 year $525k contract with Pittsburgh (PIT)

He also received a $13M signing bonus when he was drafted by the Detroit Lions.

Edited by ganesh

In some ways being a bench riding backup QB may be one of the best jobs out there. You can make a ton of money and not expose your body to the pounding that the starter must take. Sure you make less but later in life you will live better and still have some serious coin.

Don Strock made of career of this. Check out his stats.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StroDo00.htm

Edited by Greybeard

I think it was a disagreement between Buddy and Chan...jmo. Having said that, I don't think he's a good QB.

He's a similar QB to Kolb - WC guy, strong arm, trouble making decisions sometimes, can play in the NFL, throws a lot of INTs. Except that TJax is tough as nails and Kolb is made of glass until he demonstrates otherwise.

He's a similar QB to Kolb - WC guy, strong arm, trouble making decisions sometimes, can play in the NFL, throws a lot of INTs. Except that TJax is tough as nails and Kolb is made of glass until he demonstrates otherwise.

Which simply means that neither is a long term solution for the Bills at the QB position.