Bills' Top FIve Players are.......

Kyle Williams has to be in this top five for me. His play is of immeasurable importance. Though he doesn't rack up the stats most people would like to see, Williams presence is a huge factor. He's a dominant player when he attacks gaps and often blows up O lineman disrupting plays. If he stays healthy, K. Williams will be the unsung hero of this defense.

Agree

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did struggle playing injured early on.

And even in those struggles, outside of the jets game that I refuse to rewatch so I'm not going to comment on - he wasn't typically terrible. Played the run well, inconsistent pressure but generally not terrible, just not dominating.

Aaron Williams was literally a top 5 worst Bill last season, so not sure about the love he's getting. If you strictly base it on where they stand heading into this season (not potential) relative to other guys at their position throughout the league, my list goes:

1. Spiller

2. Byrd

3. Mario Williams

4. Stevie Johnson

5. Wood

* Levitre would have been 3rd or 4th

Kyle Williams has to be in this top five for me. His play is of immeasurable importance. Though he doesn't rack up the stats most people would like to see, Williams presence is a huge factor. He's a dominant player when he attacks gaps and often blows up O lineman disrupting plays. If he stays healthy, K. Williams will be the unsung hero of this defense.

Kyle Williams now or 2010?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

1. Spiller

2. Byrd

3. Stevie

4. Gilmore

5. McKelvin - yes, Leodis McKelvin

Mario's best days are behind him. His post-surgery numbers were all against very bad teams. Against good teams, he sucked. Consistently.

I wanted, very badly, to sneak Dareus in. He is one of my favorite Bills. My gut tells me he comes back with a vengeance this season, but last season (for good reason, IMO) was just too poor of a season to get him into my top 5.

McKelvin's special teams play were a big reason we didn't lose even more games last year. I've always believed in him as a DB and I think with some decent coaching/schemes, he will shine this year.

My honorable mention goes to Brad Smith. He is durable. He is selfless. He is always prepared to take the field. And perhaps most importantly, he does good things (positive yardage) practically every time he touches the ball.

In order of their excellence at their respective postions:

1.) M Williams. Player his position well most of the year, especially against the run.

2.) Spiller. There aren't too many threats like him in the league. He's a weapon pure and simple and must be accounted for on each play.

3.) Gilmore. Once he started getting more comfortable and played more by instinct rather than thinking through every play, there weren't many CBs better. He's just a very talented player when you watch closely.

4.) Wood. One of the best tactical centers you'll find with a great command of the game.

5.) K Williams. When he's on his game, he's a force on the field and commands the attention of multiple blockers more often than not.

GO BILLS!!!

.................Based upon past performance and future potential in either Marrone/Hackett's fast pace West Coast offense or Pettine's highly aggressive, blitz-happy defense, I would have to say:

#5 - DT M. Dareus - His time has come. With a clear head he's ready to dominate.

#4 - CB Gilmore - He has made the leap to shutdown corner.

#3 - FS J. Byrd - The franchise player/Pro Bowl player/ball hawk should have a field day in Pettine's aggressive scheme.

#2 - DE/OLB Mario Williams - Since Pettine will very wisely move him around so that opposing offenses can't key on him he should be a major disruptive force on defense this year.

#1 - RB CJ Spiller - Just too quick for quick. With Marrone/Hackett ready to increase his touches to about 250 this year the stage has been set for Spiller to have a banner year. I expect him to challenge A. Peterson/A. Foster for the most all-purpose yards in the entire league.

Who are your Top Five??

Laughable. The Bills have zero chance of making the playoffs.

1). CJ - potentially a gamechanger every time he touches the ball. (And he will touch it a lot in 2013).

2). Stevie - great moves to get open. Just hope we have a QB that gets him the ball.

3). Chandler - underrated TE. Makes great catches. Scores points. Hope he is fully fit.

4). McKelvin - gets his place as a Special Teams returner. Time to get excited when he touches the ball.

5). Mario - will have a better year. Will be in a force in 2013. Double digit "Sackman".

Would desperately like to nominate an elite run stuffer in the top 5. This we need if we are to compete. Next year it would be great to nominate our top 5 as Dareus, Mario, Branch (and EJ & CJ) !

Laughable. The Bills have zero chance of making the playoffs.

This is precisely the kind of in-depth, thorough, substantiated analysis that keeps me coming back day after day.

I gotta put Cordy just ahead of Byrd and Stevie because of the positional importance and difficulty to fill that position.

I like Glenn because he has a chance to be a great one. He played WAY better than I expected him to before he hit the rookie (or was it injury?) wall.

As much as I like the huge players, they scare me just a bit in terms of injuries to their feet and ankles. When Kris Jenkins got hurt, I thought that he was one of the best players in the league. Remember Gilbert Brown? He was simply impossible to move before getting hurt.

Glenn is a monster. His level of play will directly effect that of Manuel, and really the entire team. I wish that he was going to be lining up next to Levitre, but it is what is is.

Edited by Bill from NYC

1) Mario Williams. - He was not put in the best positions last year, was injured and still had double digit sacks. Not to mention hurries.

2) Stevie Johnson - Consistent. Productive. Reliable. Sturdy.

3) C.J. Spiller - Exlosive. Big play maker game changer. But can he handle a full time load? Can he settle for 2 yd plays?

4) Jarius Byrd - Makes some big plays and is the occasional game changer. Solid tackler. Solid in coverage.

5) Eric Wood - Very consistent. Keeps the line together. Gets good push on the ball. Rarely beat. Rarely penalized

Runners up: Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Stephon Gilmore

I like Glenn because he has a chance to be a great one. He played WAY better than I expected him to before he hit the rookie (or was it injury?) wall.

As much as I like the huge players, they scare me just a bit in terms of injuries to their feet and ankles. When Kris Jenkins got hurt, I thought that he was one of the best players in the league. Remember Gilbert Brown? He was simply impossible to move before getting hurt.

Glenn is a monster. His level of play will directly effect that of Manuel, and really the entire team. I wish that he was going to be lining up next to Levitre, but it is what is is.

I think Im in the minority on this, but aside from the first few games I thought Glenn was pretty poor. He's a huge question mark for me. I hope it was the injuries as you allude to cause if your body ain't right, your game ain't right.

I think Im in the minority on this, but aside from the first few games I thought Glenn was pretty poor. He's a huge question mark for me. I hope it was the injuries as you allude to cause if your body ain't right, your game ain't right.

Cordy played very well until injuring himself in week four.

He suffered the dreaded "high-ankle sprain" which caused him to miss the next 4 weeks (including the bye).

When he returned to the field, he didn't seem to have the same mobility he had earlier in the season.

While I'm not personally concerned about Cordy, he does have to prove he's the player we saw in the first four weeks and not the player we saw in the last 9.

Cordy played very well until injuring himself in week four.

He suffered the dreaded "high-ankle sprain" which caused him to miss the next 4 weeks (including the bye).

When he returned to the field, he didn't seem to have the same mobility he had earlier in the season.

While I'm not personally concerned about Cordy, he does have to prove he's the player we saw in the first four weeks and not the player we saw in the last 9.

Agree entirely. The game he had against KC was a masterpiece. Somebody THAT big getting that far down field to make blocks is a force. He just wasn't the same after the high ankle, but he held his own more often than not. And his freakishly long arms often compensated for his slow feet. He's gonna be a great one, I think.

GO BILLS!!!