Criticism of Pettine from Jets Nation?

Oh how I remember the "our savior is here, but even if he disappoints it couldn't get worse" last year

How could it get worse? We set a series of records for defensive futility last year. pettine's defense needs to basically make sure the opposing team doesn't rack up 800 yards per game against us, and it'll be improvement.

It would be utterly unfathomable if the defense didn't improve this year.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recall Marrone was on the Jets staff a few years back and knew Pettine then.....so, the mysterious connection isn't so mysterious. And, Pettine, showed good judgement getting out of the Jets circus and getting the chance to be his own man. Now, as for former Jets not being signed (cept Downton), that knife cuts two ways, maybe Pettine did not want those guys...he would know. OK, his performance going forward is all the matters.....Gailey choose poorly for DC all his years. Marrone did better already. IMHO

Honestly, the Bills have better defensive personnel than the Jets. It meant nothing last year but if you were a defensive coach, you'd take the Bills' pieces over the Jets anyday of the week.

It's a great opportunity for MP. He gets to put his own stamp on a team. It could led to head coaching opportunities if he improves a league worst unit. And are we really going by what fans say? I wonder what Browns' fans think of Belichick? Jim Caldwell was a zombie in Indy and now he is a SB winning OC. And can't forget Kevin Killdrive who now has 2 SB rings.

What are you basing the claim that Jets FA defenders avoided Buffalo? Do you even know if Buffalo was interested in any of them? Didn't the Bills sign a FA LB/special teamer from the Jets?

1) no idea basis for this

2) reports were the Bills were interested in DeVito, interest was mutual but $$ better elsewhere

3) Yes, Dowtin

Of the other ones we've passed on - how many still on the market?

1) no idea basis for this

2) reports were the Bills were interested in DeVito, interest was mutual but $$ better elsewhere

3) Yes, Dowtin

Of the other ones we've passed on - how many still on the market?

Yeah, it's a stupid criticism. MP sucks because we didn't sign old, slow, garbage, and loud Bart Scott? The Jets' defensive personnel was not good. Ryan is a loudmouth but he is a great defensive coach. Hopefully, MP took a lot of notes.

1st & 2nd to 11th and 12th...meh

If the Bills have the 12th best defense, I'm done with this franchise. The decline could be part coaching. But it's more likely due to personnel. Revis' injury. Jenkins and Pouha got hurt. Scott got old and terrible. Pace got suspended.

Pettine might be a terrible coach. But there are a lot of factors in a dip in production.

If the Bills have the 12th best defense, I'm done with this franchise. The decline could be part coaching. But it's more likely due to personnel. Revis' injury. Jenkins and Pouha got hurt. Scott got old and terrible. Pace got suspended.

Pettine might be a terrible coach. But there are a lot of factors in a dip in production.

In this case, those were how they ranked, league wide, in blitzing frequency. But your points still apply.

Im reading this thread and laughing. Some people are criticizing Pettine because Jets free agents didnt sign with the Bills? I think only Pace signed back with the Jets. Everyone else left or is still available.

The only guy besides Dowtin that I know the Bills went after was Devito, and he likely went for the money. Also the Bills were dead last in blitzing, Pettine blitzed top half of the NFL. You also have to look at the personnel. The Jets became slow, their talent level was dropping and they were playing some younger players on the DL.

The media that wrote about this are fools. They dont even talk about Bart Scott, Eric Smith, Laron Landry, Mike Devito, Yeremiah Bell, Bryan Thomas, Aaron Maybin, and Sione Pouha gone. These were key contributors to the Jets defense when Pettine was there.

ALSO lets talk about that offense. The offense dropped considerably the last 2 years. Putting the defense in terrible situations. Even with that they still blitz near top 10. I cant even believe Jets media is going there. The defense did drop some, mainly in points allowed but there are many factors why.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Part of that might be in part due to injuries and aging vets... just a thought. They got a bit long in the tooth as I recall, especially on defense, didn't they?

Exactly... Scott was a bum, Pace was terrible, Revis was out and the only bright spots were Harris, Cro amd Landry....who is now gone. I would not worry too much about what the Jest fans have to contribute.

thats really all this comes down to at this point. we dont truly know what we have, but there are reasons to be hopeful. its not a slam dunk that hes good or bad but it looks like we are taking a reasonable shot. hopefully it works out, and it might not.

thats really all this comes down to at this point. we dont truly know what we have, but there are reasons to be hopeful. its not a slam dunk that hes good or bad but it looks like we are taking a reasonable shot. hopefully it works out, and it might not.

What !!!! A reasonable, level headed post !!!! You sir are banished! ;)