Is Jeff Tuel the reason for T. Tax departure?

EJ has trouble with long ball consistency? That's not what I've seen or read. Do you have a link?

I don't have a link where someone says he has long ball consistency issues, no. But I did watch 2 games on youtube where they show every play EJ either threw or ran the ball. In both of them he threw long balls that were either long or short with at least one picked off. I'm not going by stats or scouting reports, but what I've seen him do. I admit it was a small sample size, but I'm not going to watch all of his games to decide.

I have watched the kid throw in OTAs, and he has nearly flawless QB form. He is the exact opposite of FItz in that aspect, especially when it comes to release and the spin on the ball. Thus, I am near being absolutely convinced that this "consistency" thing, for a guy with 68% completion :blink:, and "long ball accuracy", when we've seen him throw 80 yard TDs, over and over already :blink: , , and, "he was only accurate because he threw a lot of short passes", for a guy who averaged 8.9 yards per throw? :blink:

When did we see him throw "80 yard TDs over and over"?

I'm not knocking the kid. I like him and am glad we drafted him. But the long ball thing does make me a little nervous. And, he did run a dink 'n dunk offense at Fl St. I don't care what his ypc was. Evidently he benefited from some RAC.

Go EJ. Go Bills !!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did we see him throw "80 yard TDs over and over"?

I'm not knocking the kid. I like him and am glad we drafted him. But the long ball thing does make me a little nervous. And, he did run a dink 'n dunk offense at Fl St. I don't care what his ypc was. Evidently he benefited from some RAC.

Go EJ. Go Bills !!!

Chris Brown made an effort to point out that EJM kept throwing 80 yard bombs to Da'Rick Rodgers in his OTA reports. And yeah, it became a trend. I recall that he did it 3 times over the course of 2 weeks, at least. He also hit Goodwin multiple times as well.

This is the info we have. I'm not saying it = 10+ 80 yard TDs this season. I am saying: tangible evidence does exist that he can physically execute long throws to NFL receivers. Whether he can do that in NFL game conditions remains to be seen. This evidence directly contradicts the speculation that he could not.

(And, I am speculating that the long throw, and other, speculation came from sports reporters, who, rather than doing the job themselves, simply bought the Bills pre-draft BS. This explains the disproportional rancor, and complete overreaction, from some in the media, at the pick. They got suckered, they don't like it, and they killed the Bills for it.)

IMO, it's a stepwise thing, and that's obvious. So far, the first step appears to be complete.

The ugly truth about this team is that, although there are 53 roster players, Buffalo does not have 53 quality players to fill those roster positions. This, actually, is true of most team. Teams carry a certain amount of borderline players to have a body in case someone gets injurred but if it came down to retaining one of those borderline players over a young QB that looks like he can be developed into a very good player, they will not choose that borderline player over that QB candidate for that last roster spot. That would be plainly stupid. Coaches just don't look at this comming year. They also look at next year and beyond. Belichick, for example, selected Mallett in the 3rd round a few years ago even though he had Brady in his prime and two other QBs on his roster. He retained Mallett and everyone is wondering if he will keep him or trade him. Rumor has it that Brady wants to play 4 more years and Belichick is looking for a second round pick for Mallett. So he turns a third into a second. Someone will likely take that trade although no one has seen Mallett enough in pre-season to get much of an idea if he can play. I can't stand that santimonious, egotistical jerk but have to admit he knows how to play this game.

Not if you are the Buffalo Bills of the past....They had no interest in getting that potential QB and grooming him. They would rather have a 4th string RB or Safety on the team than that QB.

Chris Brown made an effort to point out that EJM kept throwing 80 yard bombs to Da'Rick Rodgers in his OTA reports. And yeah, it became a trend. I recall that he did it 3 times over the course of 2 weeks, at least. He also hit Goodwin multiple times as well.

This is the info we have. I'm not saying it = 10+ 80 yard TDs this season. I am saying: tangible evidence does exist that he can physically execute long throws to NFL receivers. Whether he can do that in NFL game conditions remains to be seen. This evidence directly contradicts the speculation that he could not.

(And, I am speculating that the long throw, and other, speculation came from sports reporters, who, rather than doing the job themselves, simply bought the Bills pre-draft BS. This explains the disproportional rancor, and complete overreaction, from some in the media, at the pick. They got suckered, they don't like it, and they killed the Bills for it.)

IMO, it's a stepwise thing, and that's obvious. So far, the first step appears to be complete.

All the OTAs and Mini-camp have been without any Pads. The game could be different when the Pads go on and there is a Pass Rush to account for. The QB decision will come at the end of the training camp.

• 1 month later...

An interesting thread. Any of the posters want to update their opinions of Tuel?

Although I didn't say anything not positive about Tuel Time in this thread I did in others. I was shocked and amazed at what I saw him do today. I did not see that coming. I saw him play quite a bit at WSU and I didn't think he was very good, and he is injury riddled. But today all his passes were right on the money, long, short, and everything in between.

Of course the usual disclaimer of competing against 4th stringers applies, but he played well and has no control over what the competition is. Will be fun to see what he does on Friday night.

Although I didn't say anything not positive about Tuel Time in this thread I did in others. I was shocked and amazed at what I saw him do today. I did not see that coming. I saw him play quite a bit at WSU and I didn't think he was very good, and he is injury riddled. But today all his passes were right on the money, long, short, and everything in between.

Of course the usual disclaimer of competing against 4th stringers applies, but he played well and has no control over what the competition is. Will be fun to see what he does on Friday night.

He placed the ball very nicely (better than EJ), and I think that will continue, even against 1st stringers. He isn't going to the practice squad.

At the very least, it was a relief to see an offense that looked competent. I remember last preseason, and how it was expected that Fitz was going to be better because he had a full season under his belt, knew the playbook, blahblahblah...and they still looked dreadful. Then everyone said "it's just the preseason, they are working out the kinks", but it never really improved.

Lossman, Fitz, Edwards...they all looked like crap in the preseason. New offense, old offense, rookie QB, veteran QB, 3rd-4th stringers, 1st stringers, new coaches, old coaches, blahblahblah.... it never looked good, no matter what the circumstances.

Law of averages. Maybe we've sucked so long that it's finally the Bills turn to regain composure, even if it comes from an UDFA.

I'd much rather believe a turnaround comes from quality scouting, drafting and coaching though (and retention of quality players without paying up the ass) The law of averages makes everything average. I believe this team can be well above average and can sustain this for quite a while with proper leadership.

I will change my stance a little. I still do not think that Tuel factored much into the decision to release T Jax. I think that they were only going to keep 1 veteran QB. I will say though that Tuel has looked good in the preseason and in the scrimmage has a legit shot to make the team. It will probably come at the expense of a 7th WR or even Kolb. He looks like he could be on the roster and maybe in the roster for years to come.

No Tuel had NOTHING to do with TJax leaving. If you were keeping up you would realize Tuel is barely even getting snaps and some days he got none. Don't worry about Tuel he is PS at BEST.

They may keep 3 QB on the roster, but I have to agree with you in spirit.

I think Tuels success is also representative of good coaching through the depth of the team, and better secondary third team talent.

Looking back on this thread, it would be easy to say yes Tuel was a factor at the time, but I'd be more willing to say that Jackson's release was due to his limited talent/upside. He has not shown consistency or any real leadership at the position, and has been bounced around the league a bit. That coupled with a new coaching staff wanting to groom their own group of QBs may actually be the real reason. Start completely fresh at the position.

I will change my stance a little. I still do not think that Tuel factored much into the decision to release T Jax. I think that they were only going to keep 1 veteran QB. I will say though that Tuel has looked good in the preseason and in the scrimmage has a legit shot to make the team. It will probably come at the expense of a 7th WR or even Kolb. He looks like he could be on the roster and maybe in the roster for years to come.

ill say he looked more like qb3 than scout qb and may force our hand to hold onto him but i still think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves over some practice notes, and the second half of one preseason game. i also still dont think he pushed Jackson off the roster. glad he looked good but theres a loooong way to go in order to even half fulfill a lot of the projections... glad to see him look sharp though!

Law of averages. Maybe we've sucked so long that it's finally the Bills turn to regain composure, even if it comes from an UDFA.

I'd much rather believe a turnaround comes from quality scouting, drafting and coaching though (and retention of quality players without paying up the ass) The law of averages makes everything average. I believe this team can be well above average and can sustain this for quite a while with proper leadership.

I may be wrong, but I think the law of averages only apply when all things are equal. We all know that coming to Buffalo is not equal as we need to overpay. I think we need to get lucky vs coming back to the avearge because there are some confounding factors, such as the on I indicated, that cause things to be skewed. Thus, the law of averages do not apply the Buffalo Bills.

Sorry for making your head hurt...

To expand on this, we need to look at the nature of the NFL these days. Top players are much more likely to go to a contender when money is the same or even a little less with the contender. This is not how it used to be. Players used to take pride in "turning a team around". It seems, more and more, players want to take the easy road and go to the Pats for instance because it gives them the best chance to win. This makes it harder and harder for perenial losers to get better quicker.

Anyway, I'm getting off on a tangent. Tuel looked good, and though I didn't say anything at the time of this thread (I dont think?), I always thought that Tuel might have had something to do with it. You don't drop a veteran QB if the 4th stringer is horrible.

ill say he looked more like qb3 than scout qb and may force our hand to hold onto him but i still think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves over some practice notes, and the second half of one preseason game. i also still dont think he pushed Jackson off the roster. glad he looked good but theres a loooong way to go in order to even half fulfill a lot of the projections... glad to see him look sharp though!

I had been in the camp of him as a PS player and a possible long term answer as a backup QB. Where I really have softened is that I thought there would be no chance that someone would pick him up before we could get him to the PS. If his preseason looks like that it will be difficult to get him to the practice squad IMO. He may be forcing their hand a little bit and it could come at the expense of one of those talented wide receivers (and there are a bunch).