Is Jeff Tuel the reason for T. Tax departure?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I think that they would rather keep another, WR, DB or even OL over a 3rd QB that won't ever play. Those positions are more competitive and those guys can contribute on special teams. I am would be SHOCKED if the Bills kept Jeff Tuel on the 53 man roster at the expense of any of those other positions. I thought that would be the case when they had T Jax still on the roster let alone Tuel. You really think that they will keep Tuel over someone like Justin Rodgers, Easley, Brad Smith, Meeks or even Searcy? No chance

Also, I always find it funny when someone on this board falls in love with someone that will not contribute. I am guilty of it with different guys. Shawn Nelson is one for me.

Why do you want to see Easley, Meeks, or Searcy on the roster? Those players are conspicuous for doing nothing and you haven't heard their names mentioned at all so far this year. Rogers has been in and out of the lineup enought to make me think he's just an ordinary talent that might be able to be replaced by a player like Duke Williams. Additionally, you just cannot say that Tuel will never play unless you can see into the future. The roster should consist of the best 53 players and if one of them is Tuel I think that's great. Looks to me like Buddy's last draft may turn out to be his best and that makes me excited. Buffalo came close to beating the Patriots last year and, with the addition of perhaps eight young talented rooks, they just might be able to do it this year.

Why do you want to see Easley, Meeks, or Searcy on the roster? Those players are conspicuous for doing nothing and you haven't heard their names mentioned at all so far this year. Rogers has been in and out of the lineup enought to make me think he's just an ordinary talent that might be able to be replaced by a player like Duke Williams. Additionally, you just cannot say that Tuel will never play unless you can see into the future. The roster should consist of the best 53 players and if one of them is Tuel I think that's great. Looks to me like Buddy's last draft may turn out to be his best and that makes me excited. Buffalo came close to beating the Patriots last year and, with the addition of perhaps eight young talented rooks, they just might be able to do it this year.

I would rather see them because your 5th safety or 7th WR can contribute on special teams. Tuel will never ever see the field this year. Absolutely no chance. Put him on the ps and see if he can eventually be a backup. No reason to waste a roster spot on him when there are some battles at other positions.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I would rather see them because your 5th safety or 7th WR can contribute on special teams. Tuel will never ever see the field this year. Absolutely no chance. Put him on the ps an see if he can eventually be a backup. No reason to waste a roster spot on him when there are some battles at other positions.

OK Carnack. Have it your way. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but seems to me that once a team selects it's 53 man roster, other teams can claim whatever player remains. That is why the team has to wait 24 hrs. or so before signing players to it's practice squad. If Tuel performs well I don't think Buffalo will risk that. Recall that the Patriots and others had Tuel in for pre-draft meetings. So there is certainly interest among others in Tuel. Not certain but Buffalo may have had to sign Tuel as a priority free agent meaning he received more $$s than other FAs. The same is true, I think, for Da'rick Rogers

Regarding Duke Williams; Williams is, most likely, a safety. However, Buffalo looked at him yesterday at corner and reports are that he did not look out of place. If true, that gives him a leg up on a player like Searcy from the get go. (I think it was Pettine who said yesterday that he would rather have a lighter safety that is rangy and can cover than a larger thumper type safety.) That is why Buffalo's staff looks for payers that can play several positions.

it was a mistake to ever sign T/J in the first place. the bills were in serious need of a dignity re-boot and yet they sign a QB that couldn't stay on the roster of (2) other NFL teams. the fact that he has re-signed with seattle is kind of curious though.

i just can't get the picture out of my mind when he played for the vikings and made these one-hand jump shot type screen passes.

it was a mistake to ever sign T/J in the first place. the bills were in serious need of a dignity re-boot and yet they sign a QB that couldn't stay on the roster of (2) other NFL teams. the fact that he has re-signed with seattle is kind of curious though.

i just can't get the picture out of my mind when he played for the vikings and made these one-hand jump shot type screen passes.

Too bad they didn't trade him back instead of cutting!

OK Carnack. Have it your way. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but seems to me that once a team selects it's 53 man roster, other teams can claim whatever player remains. That is why the team has to wait 24 hrs. or so before signing players to it's practice squad. If Tuel performs well I don't think Buffalo will risk that. Recall that the Patriots and others had Tuel in for pre-draft meetings. So there is certainly interest among others in Tuel. Not certain but Buffalo may have had to sign Tuel as a priority free agent meaning he received more $$s than other FAs. The same is true, I think, for Da'rick Rogers

Regarding Duke Williams; Williams is, most likely, a safety. However, Buffalo looked at him yesterday at corner and reports are that he did not look out of place. If true, that gives him a leg up on a player like Searcy from the get go. (I think it was Pettine who said yesterday that he would rather have a lighter safety that is rangy and can cover than a larger thumper type safety.) That is why Buffalo's staff looks for payers that can play several positions.

You are correct, someone can sign Tuel to their active roster. The Bills could cut him early if they are high on him to deceive teams and sign him to the ps. They did that a couple of years ago (I think with Jasper). You really believe that someone is going to snatch him up for their 53 man roster? Unless he is lights out in preseason that isn't going to happen. No one is going to save a spot on their 53 man roster for an undrafted rookie QB. If you think they will please tell me the team???

You are correct, someone can sign Tuel to their active roster. The Bills could cut him early if they are high on him to deceive teams and sign him to the ps. They did that a couple of years ago (I think with Jasper). You really believe that someone is going to snatch him up for their 53 man roster? Unless he is lights out in preseason that isn't going to happen. No one is going to save a spot on their 53 man roster for an undrafted rookie QB. If you think they will please tell me the team???

Oh, how bout Jacksonville and Oakland for starters?

Oh, how bout Jacksonville and Oakland for starters?

Jax got their undrafted rookie with upside in Scott and Oakland drafted Wilson. Try again. I get, you like the guy. I hope that he is good but I think that there is zero chance that he is on a 53 man roster this year. Perfect PS candidate

TJax was released to give Manuel maximum reps. Maximum reps means that the Bills will have a much better opportunity to evaluate Manuel (and also Kolb). But the bottom line is that........IT IS ALL ABOUT MANUEL!! The Bills would like for him to start from Day 1 if possible. he will develop much faster if that is the case.

Tuel is a good prospect (he's better than most people think), but he may not even make the final roster. Right now I only have the Bills going into the season with Manuel and Kolb (with Tuel on the PS).

TJax left Minnesota because he wanted to compete for a starting job, and Seattle traded him. He's easily good enough for a roster spot, the Bills just handled the QB situation poorly and got played.

TJax left Minnesota because he wanted to compete for a starting job, and Seattle traded him. He's easily good enough for a roster spot, the Bills just handled the QB situation poorly and got played.

Huh? How did the Bills get "played" in a situation in which THEY decided everything that happened? They traded for him, they re-signed him, and they cut him. If the Bills believed he was "easily good enough for a roster spot" he'd still be on THEIR roster.

This move just shows that Doug Marrone is infinitely smarter then Chan Gailey who tried to give 3 QB's equal reps in his first year back in 2010. With Fitz, Edwards, Brian Brohm. Anyone else recall that Gailey stated that all three were about equal, and all would be getting equal reps. Now, giving Brohm any reps at all was a complete waste of those prescious reps.

Then Gailey focused all the reps to Trent Edwards in pre season only to cut him after two regular season games. Kinda why the Bills went 0-8 to start the 2010 season as Fitz had to learn Gaileys system on the run...literally. NFL HC Chan Gailey was a farce, a supposed QB guru who couldn't distinguish the difference between a sorta decent NFL QB and an absolute bust like Brohm.

I'm liking new Bills HC Doug Marrone more and more.

Jax got their undrafted rookie with upside in Scott and Oakland drafted Wilson. Try again. I get, you like the guy. I hope that he is good but I think that there is zero chance that he is on a 53 man roster this year. Perfect PS candidate

Jacksonville's acquisition of Kafka and subsequent statement that he, Kafka, could be their starter. tells me they are still frantically looking for someone else. Then there's Cleveland with Weeded and a cast off (can't remember his name). Who is their starter and backup? Tampa Bay? They don't seem happy with Freeman. Do they have a backup? Arizona? They have Palmer. Do they have a backup? Then there are teams with aging backups and not yet established starters like Tennessee. Ya think they might be interested?

I think that there are a few teams with questionable QB situations. I just do not see anybody snatching up an undrafted rookie that they did not sign after the draft to be on their active roster. First off, that team would have to carry 3 QBs on their 53. If you do not have 1 QB, I am not sure the logic in carrying 3. I'd be more than willing to wager that he is not on any 53 man roster this year. I'd even give 2 to 1.

To the topic on hand, the decision is about Manuel. They want to get him the reps.

I think that there are a few teams with questionable QB situations. I just do not see anybody snatching up an undrafted rookie that they did not sign after the draft to be on their active roster. First off, that team would have to carry 3 QBs on their 53. If you do not have 1 QB, I am not sure the logic in carrying 3. I'd be more than willing to wager that he is not on any 53 man roster this year. I'd even give 2 to 1.

To the topic on hand, the decision is about Manuel. They want to get him the reps.

"He (Tuel) got some more work in the minicamp this week and has what look to be good physical tools. Clearly the Bills believe he can be developed since he was kept over Tavaris Jackson". - Chris Brown, July 14, 2013 - 11:46 AM.

I think he read my post here before writing his Fan Friday piece. It's not about snatching up some undrafted player. Teams cut and sign players throughout the pre-season and season. It's always about improving the roster. Would love to take that wager but can't afford to risk more than $5.00. Is that ok?

I do agree that it's all about Manual. Never said it wasn't. Really like him staying in town until training camp.

Nice sparing with you Kirby. Gotta go take the wife out for Friday night dinner.