Willis McGahee needs a job: Cut by the Broncos

Never said he was terrible. He was solid. 4.1 ypc, solid nothing special (FJax averages 4.5 ypc, Spiller 5.4). But he was a dime a dozen rb. He was not worth blowing a 1st rounder on. Especially when you consider he had to essentially redshirt a year and had a pro bowl type rb on the roster already.

Since becoming a Bills fan in the late 80s, TD was the worst GM in Bills' history. Ralph gave him complete control and picks like Willis and Roscoe were examples of why he was so bad.

That does not make him "one of the worst draft picks in Bills history." Was McGahee a great pick, or even a good one? No, as most first round RBs aren't. That being said, he is far removed from the countless first and second round busts who amounted to nothing.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be fitting if his long history of prioritizing his leisure time over ota's ended up costing him one last paycheck.

LOL....first thing I noticed. Apparently he thought he didn't need to bother putting his team first; Oops. Maybe he should have handled his "family business" at some point over the five month vacation he had prior to the start of OTAs.

Geez DD, you really are miserable sometimes.

And it's not good for your sense of humor, either.

Oh I'm sorry if you didn't find it funny, but it wasn't a joke. History tells us that this could very well happen.

Travis.....traded. Willis.....traded. Marshawn......traded.

Each one succeeded using a HIGHER draft pick than the last.

Stop wasting first round picks on runnin' bax it's beyond the point of embarrassment.

I don't care if they run for 1600+ yards in a season like Marshawn, 9400 in a career like Willis or average 5.5 ypc for a nice stretch like CJ Spiller.........they aren't the foundation of a consistently successful football team any longer.

Can they be a part of it? Of course, everyone plays a role, but the Bills have placed FAR too much stock in them. To the point where Bills fans follow their careers around as if they were QB's or LT's or DE's or any of the true premium positions in the league.

They aren't. You can find ones who are good enough to win a SB with anywhere. Late in the draft, street free agency etc.. Why waste first round picks on them?

Spiller has two more years under contract. If he plays poorly that hurts but if he plays well he will be looking for a new contract and he will be 28 when his first contract expires because he came into the league at 23, not at 20 or 21 like a lot of good backs do nowadays. If the Bills are lucky, they will squeeze 3 1,000+ yard seasons out of him before they reach an impasse where they come to the conclusion that they can replace him rather easily. That shouldn't be the way it is with your first round picks when they pan out......but that is the Buffalo Bills way post 1999.

LOL....first thing I noticed. Apparently he thought he didn't need to bother putting his team first; Oops. Maybe he should have handled his "family business" at some point over the five month vacation he had prior to the start of OTAs.

I am never one to compare NFL players jobs to regular 9-5 jobs, but like you said, 5 months off is ample time to get your fun on. I mean all people need to realize that just because they haven't been fired from their job doesn't mean that their bosses don't keep score, ESPECIALLY in a pro sports where there isn't much room for tribute.

I never made any comparison between the players. But I like how you say that to make it LOOK like I compared them.....because the d-bags that might respond positively to your rant-rums typically don't read well. Way to know your audience. :thumbsup:

:lol:

Detroit or Green Bay could use more depth at RB.......

McGahee only busted his butt in Buffalo when he was trying oust Travis Henry as the starting RB. Afterwards, his production went downhill,

That's why I gave him the name Willis "McLazee"

Oh I'm sorry if you didn't find it funny, but it wasn't a joke. History tells us that this could very well happen.

Travis.....traded. Willis.....traded. Marshawn......traded.

Each one succeeded using a HIGHER draft pick than the last.

Stop wasting first round picks on runnin' bax it's beyond the point of embarrassment.

I don't care if they run for 1600+ yards in a season like Marshawn, 9400 in a career like Willis or average 5.5 ypc for a nice stretch like CJ Spiller.........they aren't the foundation of a consistently successful football team any longer.

Can they be a part of it? Of course, everyone plays a role, but the Bills have placed FAR too much stock in them. To the point where Bills fans follow their careers around as if they were QB's or LT's or DE's or any of the true premium positions in the league.

They aren't. You can find ones who are good enough to win a SB with anywhere. Late in the draft, street free agency etc.. Why waste first round picks on them?

Spiller has two more years under contract. If he plays poorly that hurts but if he plays well he will be looking for a new contract and he will be 28 when his first contract expires because he came into the league at 23, not at 20 or 21 like a lot of good backs do nowadays. If the Bills are lucky, they will squeeze 3 1,000+ yard seasons out of him before they reach an impasse where they come to the conclusion that they can replace him rather easily. That shouldn't be the way it is with your first round picks when they pan out......but that is the Buffalo Bills way post 1999.

You missed my point which is that you're still ranting about something that happened years ago.

I know you're a season ticket holder and all but geez…

You missed my point which is that you're still ranting about something that happened years ago.

I know you're a season ticket holder and all but geez…

Yeah it happened YEARS AGO, and yet......when CJ Spiller was picked that was viewed as an ENTIRELY new exercise.

If you don't really understand the past it is easy to see things that way.

Those who don't learn from their mistakes are DOOOOOMED to repeat them.

The draft is a process, not an individual event. If I am guilty of banging one drum then that is it right there.

The Willis McGahee selection was one of the key points of decline for this franchise. It was where detrimental running back abuse turned into a full blown addiction.

Is it a coincidence that the worst stretch of futility in franchise history followed? The addiction to runnin' bax was symptomatic of the diseased braintrust that was directing the organization.

Thankfully, most of those violators are out of the picture. Ralph, TD, Modrak, Levy, Jauron and Buddy. Russ still remains though so it certainly bears remembering because he was a factor during the Lynch/Spiller selections/trade.

As far as ranting......I didn't start this thread, thread boss. If I started a thread about the subject, or responded to every thread about a running back in that manner then you might have a point.

I do not, and your point is at the top of your head this week for some reason. The subject is an old-timey Buffalo Bill so it might be expected that reflection and.....I don't know......hindsight??.....might be in order.

I don't see you complaining about the 20 references to Willis' infamous Dave and Buster's(or Applebees as it is remembered) comments. So I don't think it's the rehash that is bothering you. I mean, God forbid that a player born and raised 1500 miles from Buffalo slips up and says he thinks Toronto more interesting than Buffalo. Trade him! :rolleyes:

I'm not singling you out.

I wouldn't usually respond to a Dave and Buster's reference because it's just a snide remark, and an attempt at humoring the past.

But the volume and virulence of your posts is what made me respond.

Sorry. It wasn't my intention to give you a hard time.