T Jax released

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course he was. What did you expect him to say? But when it came to picking the picks, I'm convinced it was Marrone who had first and last say, not Buddy--and not Russ.

I have no doubt the scouts did the scouting--it wasn;t thin air. But when it came time to make the board, I'm sure Marrone's voice was the one which carried the most weight (do you really think Russ was picking players or are you just being funny?).

Keep back-pedaling and you should arrive at a conclusion more in line with reality. The coaches have a seat at the table, the football execs digest their and the scouts feedback as well as their own observations and make the final decisions.

Do you think Whaley got promoted as a renowned talent-scouting protegee to have an unproven (nfl wise)ncaa head coach from a second tier program make his personnel decisions for him?

Some reading material:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/03/18/how-teams-view-coaching-input-on-scouting/

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Marrone-and-coaches-have-role-in-draft-scouting/aed6930d-a79f-4f0f-b283-851d236784e9

but insurance just the same. Maybe T jax was just happy to be in the nfl at that point.

Go back to Seattle. Thats almost a slap isnt it ?

I expect him to be picked up before the season starts. But Seattle !...Seattle!?

I think that's the best way to go about it. All the successful QBs seem to do much better not being thrown directly into the fire...

As WEO pointed out, there's a long list of Hall of Famers who were thrown into the fire.

And as you pointed out, there are guys like Aaron Rodgers who were brought along slowly.

Each individual is different.

Some can hop right in.

Come on, only six pages for the release of our 3d string QB??? They're up to 11 in the Patriot's 3d string QB thread!!!

F5!!

man, they beat us in everything.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This was a mistake from the start. Its not an accident the Bills organization has been spinning its wheels for over a decade. Tarvaris is not an NFL QB. What were the Bills doing when they picked him up?

If it's a mistake, it's a very minor mistake.

but insurance just the same. Maybe T jax was just happy to be in the nfl at that point.

Go back to Seattle. Thats almost a slap isnt it ?

I expect him to be picked up before the season starts. But Seattle !...Seattle!?

Well in the last few months he made a half mil from the Bills so you're right, clipboard holder in the NFL is a great job if you can get it.

As for the discussion of who held the most power in the draft, I think Nix and Whaley tried supplying Marrone with players he liked just as they did with Gailey.

However I'll agree that Marrone probably had more involvement in the draft than Gailey. Part of that might have been by design (part of his job demands) and part by just the personality dynamics of the organization (Gailey being possibly more deferential to Nix).

As was suggested upthread, I'm agree that Marrone had tons of input into the quarterback decision.

Keep back-pedaling and you should arrive at a conclusion more in line with reality. The coaches have a seat at the table, the football execs digest their and the scouts feedback as well as their own observations and make the final decisions.

Do you think Whaley got promoted as a renowned talent-scouting protegee to have an unproven (nfl wise)ncaa head coach from a second tier program make his personnel decisions for him?

Some reading material:

http://blogs.buffalo...ut-on-scouting/

http://www.buffalobi...83-851d236784e9

Backpedaling?

Anyway, Whaley got promoted because Russ understands that Buddy, after only 3 years, cannot continue as the Bills GM.

Look, if you want to believe that Buddy was predominantly responsible for the picks made on draft day because they might turn out to reverse his legacy of ineptitude, I can't take that away from you. But it's way easier, based on Buddy's past picks (players and coaches), for me to believe that this off season's sea change in all aspects of the team were not orchestrated by him. And that's a good thing--so why be sentamental about ol' Buddy. He's done.

Of course he was. What did you expect him to say? But when it came to picking the picks, I'm convinced it was Marrone who had first and last say, not Buddy--and not Russ.

I have no doubt the scouts did the scouting--it wasn;t thin air. But when it came time to make the board, I'm sure Marrone's voice was the one which carried the most weight (do you really think Russ was picking players or are you just being funny?).

Come on, man -- in what scenario have you ever seen a 1st-time head coach (from college) exercise that sort of control over draft picks?

The board and the scouting were done by Buddy's staff, to which Whaley contributed heavily. Russ wasn't a part of it, and Marrone's "influence" likely consisted of discussions about the type of players he wants to coach.

I know you despise Buddy, but I really believe the weight of the evidence (and common sense) don't support what you're asserting.

Watching the news in Seattle yesterday evening, Seahawk players were talking about the reports that TJax might be returning to Seattle.

They said TJax is an awesome teammate who possesses great leadership skills. One observed that Jackson's incredible knowledge of the game would be helpful to a young guy like Russell Wilson. The enthusiasm Seahawk players have for TJax (not that any are lobbying for him to start ahead of Wilson) makes me wonder how he couldn't even crack the top three in Buffalo.

I never envisioned TJax as the starter in Buffalo, but with two rookies on the roster to mentor and an injury-prone Kolb as the only other experienced starter, I thought Jackson might have a role here.

Watching the news in Seattle yesterday evening, Seahawk players were talking about the reports that TJax might be returning to Seattle.

They said TJax is an awesome teammate who possesses great leadership skills. One observed that Jackson's incredible knowledge of the game would be helpful to a young guy like Russell Wilson. The enthusiasm Seahawk players have for TJax (not that any are lobbying for him to start ahead of Wilson) makes me wonder how he couldn't even crack the top three in Buffalo.

I never envisioned TJax as the starter in Buffalo, but with two rookies on the roster to mentor and an injury-prone Kolb as the only other experienced starter, I thought Jackson might have a role here.

A lot of this could explain why Buddy traded for him and then re-signed him. What Buddy couldn't control, however, is to what extent TJax picked up Gailey's, and then Hackett's, offense.

A lot of this could explain why Buddy traded for him and then re-signed him. What Buddy couldn't control, however, is to what extent TJax picked up Gailey's, and then Hackett's, offense.

Yeah, I know some people are faulting Buddy for signing - not just once but twice - a player who will never suit up for the Bills on game day. But I think Buddy was right. At one point this year, TJax was the only QB (not counting Brad Smith) on the roster. We had to have someone to handoff to CJ and Freddy.

Apparently Marrone feels differently than I do, but going into 2013 with 1 unproven NFL starter and 2 rookies makes me nervous. I'd be happier going into preseason with 2 unproven starters and 2 rookies! I worry about Kolb's fragility.

Yeah, I know some people are faulting Buddy for signing - not just once but twice - a player who will never suit up for the Bills on game day. But I think Buddy was right. At one point this year, TJax was the only QB (not counting Brad Smith) on the roster. We had to have someone to handoff to CJ and Freddy.

Apparently Marrone feels differently than I do, but going into 2013 with 1 unproven NFL starter and 2 rookies makes me nervous. I'd be happier going into preseason with 2 unproven starters and 2 rookies! I worry about Kolb's fragility.

I think even in a cutthroat business it's worth remembering these are human beings.

After Jackson's release, It's now clear the Bills did not want to have a legitimate three-way competition headed into preseason, and instead wanted to split most of the reps between Manuel and Kolb. This means that if we kept Jackson, he would've gotten few reps in practice, and would've stayed just as insurance against a Kolb injury.

I think Jackson's release also makes it clear they only want to use two final roster spots on quarterbacks. All of this tells me the ONLY way Jackson would've made the team is by injury. He wouldn't get the practice reps necessary to earn the backup job, because they're too busy trying to decide if they want to start Manuel or Kolb.

Considering the way Jackson's career has gone the past two years, I can understand the Bills doing the humane thing and giving him a chance to catch on somewhere else, knowing he was very unlikely to make the final roster here.

Yes they could've kept him through preseason, and then let him go at final cut if Kolb is still healthy, but these are human beings. They wanted a two-man race for the starting job and T-Jax was the odd man out.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

Come on, man -- in what scenario have you ever seen a 1st-time head coach (from college) exercise that sort of control over draft picks?

The board and the scouting were done by Buddy's staff, to which Whaley contributed heavily. Russ wasn't a part of it, and Marrone's "influence" likely consisted of discussions about the type of players he wants to coach.

I know you despise Buddy, but I really believe the weight of the evidence (and common sense) don't support what you're asserting.

I can't think of a scenario where a coach was hired out of college by the President of an NFL team who worked with said coach at that college, which is also the President's alma mater. Clearly Brandon has a great deal of trust in his new hire. Brandon is the one deciding who has influence over the draft, and he may or may not care whether it's been done before by another NFL team.

Something that doesn't sound like common sense to me: a forward-thinker like Brandon finally gets control over the organization, and he leaves Ralph's old Buddy and his losing record in charge of his (Brandon's) first war room. I don't buy it.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

I can't think of a scenario where a coach was hired out of college by the President of an NFL team who worked with said coach at that college, which is also the President's alma mater. Clearly Brandon has a great deal of trust in his new hire. Brandon is the one deciding who has influence over the draft, and he may or may not care whether it's been done before by another NFL team.

Something that doesn't sound like common sense to me: a forward-thinker like Brandon finally gets control over the organization, and he leaves Ralph's old Buddy and his losing record in charge of his (Brandon's) first war room. I don't buy it.

Bingo. "Common sense" tells me thisgs were far different this year than any other Buddy draft. In 3 years Buddy drafted Easley and Graham as the WRs (yikes). Marrone appears and now we draft a couple WRs in one draft. And given Buddy's sheer inability to evaluate QB talent beyond the likes of Luck, Newton and RG3, the somewhat surprising pick of EJ has to be Marrone's call.

"Incredible knowledge of the game"?? He couldn't even crack the code of Chan's monotonous offense. And what, exactly, would he be able to teach Wilson? He hasn't played for a few years...

Wait....what?? The only QB to hand off to Fred and CJ? When, exactly, was that?

Bingo. "Common sense" tells me thisgs were far different this year than any other Buddy draft. In 3 years Buddy drafted Easley and Graham as the WRs (yikes). Marrone appears and now we draft a couple WRs in one draft. And given Buddy's sheer inability to evaluate QB talent beyond the likes of Luck, Newton and RG3, the somewhat surprising pick of EJ has to be Marrone's call.

"Incredible knowledge of the game"?? He couldn't even crack the code of Chan's monotonous offense. And what, exactly, would he be able to teach Wilson? He hasn't played for a few years...

Wait....what?? The only QB to hand off to Fred and CJ? When, exactly, was that?

To answer the final question: When we cut Fitz before the draft. For a moment in time, we had zero QBs on the roster unless you count Brad Smith. That's frightening at any time of year. There weren't any great FA QBs available (FWIW, Kolb hadn't been released yet) and we didn't know who we would get out of the draft. Under the circumstances, I think Buddy was right to resign TJax.

Regarding TJax's "incredible knowledge"... I have no idea what the guy knows or doesn't know. I just saw interviews with a couple Seahawk players that were complimentary of Jackson. But I always thought it odd Jackson didn't suit up for the Bills. If Chan had no intention to suit him up, then why did Buddy sign him? The idea that he couldn't grasp the offense after all those weeks was hard to believe. If he was that incapable of learning the offense, why not just cut him like we did Vince Young? That whole situation was weird and I'm not convinced the public knows the whole/true story.

Edited by hondo in seattle

For accuracy's sake, I didn't have my facts straight regarding the bolded. Brandon actually went to St. John Fisher, but he did some work at Syracuse in the sports department.

Are you another one throwing out Graham's career before it even starts? And come on, nobody can predict injuries -- Easley is snakebitten and nobody knows what could have been.

I know I won't convince you of anything in this regard -- you are entrenched when it comes to Nix. I get that. I just disagree.