T Jax released

Kolb signed a cut friendly contract so T Jackson got a shot even if not a great one, of making roster. He had no shot if he was not signed so I disagree with AP Sports Writer John Wawrow on this matter. What Jackson needed to show he would be the best 2nd QB the Bills have but IMO without defenses truly targeting QB Jackson could not show his potential. Kolb issue is he does not appear to be able to handle contact well and there is next to none in camp.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed that for you. Marrone dumped the guy Buddy signed twice (and traded for) and who never played a down.

More evidence that Marrone ran this draft and is making all of the major personnel decisions since he got here. Can't be a bad thing.

Dont think Marrone the draft. Buddy still made the final call. But this TJ dumping was a Marrone move with Whaley's blessing.

I like this Marrone guy. Think this team will be alot tougher than we think.

That has to be a joke...right???

Considering Chan had a starting QB not qualified to start, a third string backup who never suited up, and a backup (Thigpen) who wasn't good enough to be a backup in the CFL I guess this is a joke. Chan certainly was.

Fixed that for you. Marrone dumped the guy Buddy signed twice (and traded for) and who never played a down.

More evidence that Marrone ran this draft and is making all of the major personnel decisions since he got here. Can't be a bad thing.

I'll go back to what I've said before; namely, that the GM's job is to get the players his coaches want. So it's perfectly reasonable to presume Marrone had a great deal of input into the draft. Still, it was Buddy's staff scouting the players, ranking them, and pulling the trigger.

I can't for the life of me explain the TJax experiment. Very bizarre.

I'll go back to what I've said before; namely, that the GM's job is to get the players his coaches want. So it's perfectly reasonable to presume Marrone had a great deal of input into the draft. Still, it was Buddy's staff scouting the players, ranking them, and pulling the trigger.

I can't for the life of me explain the TJax experiment. Very bizarre.

I am familiar with the GM's job description. I'm comfortable believing that Marrone knew exactly what he wanted and thet he was very familiar with Buddy's limitations as GM. Sure, they all sat around and discussed the picks/prospects. But it's impossible for me to believe Marrone told Buddy, at ANY time, "hey, go out and find me a.....". Marrone was scouting the prospects as soon as he arrived. I'm sure he dominated the creation of the draft board, not Buddy.

I'm sure Marrone looked at this TJax fiasco of Buddy's and said WTF??. Out of respect, he waited until OTA's to dump this goofy signing.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I am familiar with the GM's job description. I'm comfortable believing that Marrone knew exactly what he wanted and thet he was very familiar with Buddy's limitations as GM. Sure, they all sat around and discussed the picks/prospects. But it's impossible for me to believe Marrone told Buddy, at ANY time, "hey, go out and find me a.....". Marrone was scouting the prospects as soon as he arrived. I'm sure he dominated the creation of the draft board, not Buddy.

I'm sure Marrone looked at this TJax fiasco of Buddy's and said WTF??. Out of respect, he waited until OTA's to dump this goofy signing.

the signing cost us nothing, and heaven forbid back in march if our qb was off the board or kolb was never cut atleast we had a warm body to allow us sooooome flexibility. no harm done. we lost a 6th(?) round pick even if you follow this back to the very start.

Edited by NoSaint

I was more shocked when they resigned him then when I just read they cut him

Remember when most ppl on this board were against cutting Fitz bc Bills didn't hv any other QB on the roster like it was impossible to completely overhaul the position yet that's exactly what the Bills did

I still think Kolb starts week 1 with EJ taking over by mid season

I think that's the best way to go about it. All the successful QBs seem to do much better not being thrown directly into the fire...

the signing cost us nothing, and heaven forbid back in march if our qb was off the board or kolb was never cut atleast we had a warm body to allow us sooooome flexibility. no harm done. we lost a 6th(?) round pick even if you follow this back to the very start.

They traded for the guy, never suited him up, released him, picked him up again, never played him, paid him millions throughout and then cut him again.

"Warm body" QBs come even cheaper than that. Also, everyone on the planet knew we were drafting a QB with our first pick, so having TJ around in March was meaningless thena and now. If he was this expendable (we are going with one QB with any pro experience--and it isn't much) then TJ was a dead man walking in March as well. It is a signing that symbolizes Buddy's lack of direction at the QB position that instantly evaporated when Marrone picked EJ (no less).

For any of those that are fans of Tarvaris Jackson, I'm sorry to say that this is great for the Bills. What did we have on the roster before? Fitzpatrick, Jackson, Thigpen. Now we have a complete overhaul in Kolb, Manuel and Tuel. The position has been completely overhauled and Maronne and the offense has no excuses going into this season. I'm a huge fan of being out with the old and in with the new.

I understand your position and don't agree. I recall listening to Marrone's soundbites and he was unbelievably deferential to Nix and the job done by the scouting department. I don't think there's an actor alive who could pull this off if it weren't the case.

Unfortunately, we'll never know the truth.

Trading for TJ was an insurance policy, plain and simple. He didn't play at all last year because the cost of that policy would have gone up - to a 6th. I think Chan picked his QB and staked his own job on Fitz's ability to run his offense. That cost Chan his job... Fitz's too for that matter.

For all the shite that Nix gets here, I do think his MO as GM was to get his HC the players that the HC wanted. Without question it's how we got CJ.

He was still an insurance policy this year... insurance that we didn't get EJ in the Draft (go ahead and laugh, but I think it's the truth), and had to get someone they perceived had less upside potential - like Geno or take your pick of the rest of the runts in this year's class. IF that had played out and the draftee wasn't pulling his weight or Kolb didn't impress them - they might have kept TJ - again, as insurance.

I'm sure he dominated the creation of the draft board, not Buddy.

I am sure you're wrong. Marrone admitted to never even meeting some of the draft propects.

Whaley, Brandon and Nix did the world tour to scout and work out players and there are scores of staff that feed into their ranking process.

Do you think infamous "cheap Ralph" would have all these front office guys on payroll if the head coach could pull a draft board out of thin air? In three months he scouted 100+ prospects that weren't even playing, while pulling a coaching staff together?

This is a half a billion dollar business, they are running at OBD, not the local volunteer peewee team sponsored by John and Mary's.

Saying this draft has Brandon or Whaleys prints on it, ok possible, but Marrone? That is absurd and quite naive.

Trading for TJ was an insurance policy, plain and simple. He didn't play at all last year because the cost of that policy would have gone up - to a 6th. I think Chan picked his QB and staked his own job on Fitz's ability to run his offense. That cost Chan his job... Fitz's too for that matter.

For all the shite that Nix gets here, I do think his MO as GM was to get his HC the players that the HC wanted. Without question it's how we got CJ.

He was still an insurance policy this year... insurance that we didn't get EJ in the Draft (go ahead and laugh, but I think it's the truth), and had to get someone they perceived had less upside potential - like Geno or take your pick of the rest of the runts in this year's class. IF that had played out and the draftee wasn't pulling his weight or Kolb didn't impress them - they might have kept TJ - again, as insurance.

This in a nutshell. Think about it from this perspective. If the Bills had any notion in their minds that someone would have picked E.J. ahead of them AND had no intention of drafting any other quarterback in the first round, then what they did with Jackson makes complete sense. In terms of Marrone, we'll never know how much of a hand he had in making picks in the draft. But, there's ZERO doubt that he would have been asked for his opinion and been intimately involved with determining what the draft board would have looked like. There's not a GM in the NFL that just tells the HC that they're going to draft whoever they want and that they're just going to have to work with what they get. This is particularly true when you're talking about a new HC and new offensive and defensive systems that require certain types of players to be successful. We have the benefit of judging the intelligence of moves with hindsight. I'm pretty sure that most GM's in the NFL are bright guys that take in a boatload of information before making decisions.