Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

cheers to that. and 5 years from now theres still potential we look back and byrd has a good season, gets a big deal next year and we all walk remember this as not the CATASTROPHE that some portray on both sides.

RALPH IS CHEAP A CATASTROPHE!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy any of that. These are businessmen, not 5th graders. I also don't understand the "walk out for nothing" comment. Levitre was paid for his services while he was here, and then signed with someone else when he became a free agent. He didn't owe the Bills anything and they didn't owe him anything.

You're taking all of this too personally. "It's not personal, it's business." -- Michael Corleone

When the Bills develop a track record of running a business, they will not be treated like a bunch of 5th graders.

Incorrect on one thing when he said the fines are too significant. Byrd is not subject to fines at this point.

Right. He substituted "fines" for "forfeiture of salary." While the franchise tag salary is guaranteed, it's only guaranteed for the games he plays. So if he doesn't sign (or "holds out," another misnomer), he loses that game check. Each game he misses is 1/16 of that $6.9 mil he misses out on.

In a sense, it's equivalent to a fine, but shouldn't be described as such.

http://www.buffalone...s_hardball.html

Time for Byrd to start banging his head on the cement wall ??

Well you can't win them all Eugene.

"Careful with that axe Eugene.l"

Seriously though who in their right mind wouldn't want Parker as their agent?

Why the venom here for a guy doing what any good business agent anywhere isn't paid to do? I doubt Byrd is banging his head against a wall. Just Bills fans confused about what a great agent does for his clients. In any business. Anywhere.

Would anyone want a push over for an agent? Byrd will retire a wealthy man. With or without the Buffalo Bills. Like everyone on the team he is a paid mercenary capitalizing on his moment.

Can we all agree that the Bills would be better with Byrd on the field ?

if you completely take money out of the picture, then the answer is YES.

if you are taking the long term view, then overpaying players today can hurt you in the future.

Why the venom here for a guy doing what any good business agent anywhere isn't paid to do? I doubt Byrd is banging his head against a wall. Just Bills fans confused about what a great agent does for his clients. In any business. Anywhere.

Would anyone want a push over for an agent? Byrd will retire a wealthy man. With or without the Buffalo Bills. Like everyone on the team he is a paid mercenary capitalizing on his moment.

Oh dear. thats a niche quote. and well done indeed. one of these days i am going to tear you into little pieces

syd barrett lives! well really Gilmour but you get my meanings.

Byrd has become a victim of business. its not fun. its a job now.

And i have not enjoyed these goings ons nor will i enjoy his time with the Bills any longer.

matter of fact this crap has bummed me out.

BOO! BOO!

Why the venom? Because of the approach adopted in negotiations. Because of the "banging head against a cement wall" story which might sum up Parker so well. Because with a different agent we might well have signed up Byrd on a multi year contract. We might assume this is a Parker devised strategy to hold out for top Safety money. All I can say is thank God we had the NFLs top Safety on our team last year as otherwise the Pats & the 49ers might have run up 80points!

We will see if Byrd retires a wealthy man. He has to sign a multi million contract first and then invest it and live wisely. I don't suppose Byrd will be getting paid to do any commercial endorsements in the Western NY area in 2013/14.

Why the venom? Because of the approach adopted in negotiations. Because of the "banging head against a cement wall" story which might sum up Parker so well. Because with a different agent we might well have signed up Byrd on a multi year contract. We might assume this is a Parker devised strategy to hold out for top Safety money. All I can say is thank God we had the NFLs top Safety on our team last year as otherwise the Pats & the 49ers might have run up 80points!

We will see if Byrd retires a wealthy man. He has to sign a multi million contract first and then invest it and live wisely. I don't suppose Byrd will be getting paid to do any commercial endorsements in the Western NY area in 2013/14.

I dont think he was Peter . Quiet fellow really.

If one of us is venomous , have you not become Mongoosian : )

You dont seem to care much for Byrd. as a representative of the Bills he has been all a team would wish for regardless of play.

Hell they payed Kelsay for his character and hard work did they not ? Byrd has shown as much character as i see it.

I will leave the quantifying his skills and abilities both past and future to the more able .

Have you ever been involved in negotiating a contract for your services? It's a double edged sword. First the Bills with Littman/Overdorf the same clowns who have "built" this Bills dynasty for way too long. Historically they suck at determening true value. Then the players agent.

Sorry, it seems like you take this Eugen Parker crap way to personal. Like the Bills/Byrd negotiation is the only tough NFL contract worked out this year. look at Clabo last year. Hell, look at him this year until a few days ago.Look at B. Smith, Brees, on and on. I could go one for hours with names.It's a business man. Pick on Marios agent for fleecing the GM and Bills last year. And overpaying by many millions and putting the team in a cap bind after next year. Better target IMO. Cannot wait for that epic thread.

As for Byrd needing commercial endorsements? Seriously he has his head screwed on right. He will not be selling popcorn at a mall anytime soon. Byrd keeps his mouth shut, plays,and is a consummate pro IMO. But this thread at times is treating NFL pocket change like the guy is holding a team hostage. He's not.

Disagree. Parker has the virtue of telling you what he wants and then sticking with it. It's pretty simple. What's wrong with that? He strikes me as honest dealer. The thing is, the league average valuation of Byrd is higher than the Bills' valuation. It's really that simple. He'd get more from another team. He's a better player than Golsden, and he's being offered less.

Edited by dave mcbride

9.25 million per? Haven't seen that number anywhere, and certainly not from Eugene Parker or OBD. But I don't read every crap rumor monger on the interwebs sports sites.

Would love to see that figure from one of the principals. One wonders if that number is just from another "trusted" poster but unsubstantiated? And eventually found to be pure BS.

Reports are he wanted to be the highest-paid safety in the game, and given the Jason Peters situation, there is no reason to doubt that. The highest is Polamolu at $9.15M/year.

Up until, basically yesterday, most comments- even rumored to be from Parker- seemed to circle in on weddle and goldson as names - the top free safety contracts. I wouldn't take 9.25 as a fact yet.

Yea, "reports" 'Nuff said.

Almost 60 pages in the thread and arguments are being built from "reports." And for all the "reports" that the agent is negotiating in public, there isn't anything substantive to support this, just some tweets and unverified opinions.