Cromartie a role model?

Not a huge fan of his, but glad to read that he sounds like he "gets it" now. Drives a Prius, hands his paycheck to a real financial advisor, and is giving talks about not blowing your money. That's a big gap from being the guy calling to end the lockout cause he was broke.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/01/antonio-cromartie-is-now-the-voice-of-fiscal-reason/

All jets jokes and 37 kids comments aside, its nice seeing a guy catch the err of his ways while he still has a chance to benefit from his gifts on the field.

Edited by NoSaint

Not a huge fan of his, but glad to read that he sounds like he "gets it" now. Drives a Prius, hands his paycheck to a real financial advisor, and is giving talks about not blowing your money. That's a big gap from being the guy calling to end the lockout cause he was broke.

http://profootballta...-fiscal-reason/

All jets jokes and 37 kids comments aside, its nice seeing a guy catch the err of his ways while he still has a chance to benefit from his gifts on the field.

Great story. The most important aspect to his story is he taking responsibility for his kids. That doesn't mean that he can be involved in all of their lives to the extend that he should be but at least he is trying to do the right thing. Willis McGahee and his "baby momma" attitude can learn what it means to be a real man from Cromartie

Nice Story No Saint!! I am always happy to see when guys get it. I do not take joy in anyone struggling financially. I hope that the young players learn from him and his mistakes.

I beat up on some of the idiots, but there are few nfl stories that make me happier than hearing one of them has totally proven me wrong. Deciding to take care of himself and his kids is a great thing.

What's so incredibly sad is just how little financial sense you have to show in your career to be totally set, yet so many end up broke. You can be a disaster but if you have the sense to give even a small portion (the likes of which they wouldn't even notice gone) to a reasonable investment, they would still be set for life... Like I said in the original post, I'm glad it happened for him while he has a chance to really put his gifts to work for him and his family's future. If he's really grown up he's made a big difference in a lot of lives (and I swear I didnt mean that as a 37 kids joke when I wrote it... Though I admit i chuckled when I re-read it).

Nice. A Prius can be a pretty good contraceptive.

That's just a fantastic post. I know I said all joking aside but that was a good one.

Even though I hate all things Prius, it's good to see a guy "get it" and do something financially sensible for himself. It's even more encouraging to see that he is using his own mistakes to counsel others. Good for him!

I beat up on some of the idiots, but there are few nfl stories that make me happier than hearing one of them has totally proven me wrong. Deciding to take care of himself and his kids is a great thing.

What's so incredibly sad is just how little financial sense you have to show in your career to be totally set, yet so many end up broke. You can be a disaster but if you have the sense to give even a small portion (the likes of which they wouldn't even notice gone) to a reasonable investment, they would still be set for life... Like I said in the original post, I'm glad it happened for him while he has a chance to really put his gifts to work for him and his family's future. If he's really grown up he's made a big difference in a lot of lives (and I swear I didnt mean that as a 37 kids joke when I wrote it... Though I admit i chuckled when I re-read it).

Sometimes players get overwhelmed and duped by their own family and associates. The pressure of dealing with family leeches got so bad for Dallas's Tyrone Smith that he filed suit against them to stay away and leave him alone. In his situation it got to the point that he didn't even know who was spending his money and where it was going.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000201145/article/dallas-cowboys-olineman-tyron-smiths-family-ordeal

Hopefully day 1 the financial advisors showed him how to put a condom on. As for the financial planning, I really hope he can stick with it and shows guys how to be smart with their money. I hate seeing these players sign $40 million contracts and a few years after retiring are completely broke. I get it, they are poor their whole lives and then overnight they get ridiculous money that we could only dream of and they don't know how to handle it. Maybe he can help start a new trend and show these young guys the right way to do things.

Personally, I think the NFLPA should invoke a mandatory retirement plan for all players where 10-20% of your contract gets diverted into a 401k acct that the players can't touch for a certain number of years after retiring and then it pays it out in small portions like a paycheck. That would help solve a lot of these issues and help mend the bad stigma of the broke athletes that the NFL wants to distance itself from

It's really nice to see a player who was a posterboy for excess get things turned around.

Personally, I think the NFLPA should invoke a mandatory retirement plan for all players where 10-20% of your contract gets diverted into a 401k acct that the players can't touch for a certain number of years after retiring and then it pays it out in small portions like a paycheck. That would help solve a lot of these issues and help mend the bad stigma of the broke athletes that the NFL wants to distance itself from

It should be done, but the NFLPA is made up of players and they don't want it which is why listening to them QQ about how their careers are short and how the NFL needs to do more for retired players rings hollow.

Not to put a damper on things (surprise!) but it is likely the crushing burden of child support through college for all of his 10 children forced him to find someone to take care of his finances. Regardless, it's good for him to talk to the rookies. Although he had veterans warn him when he was a rookie. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

"Cromartie grew extremely close to Schwartz's family -- the children now refer to him as "Uncle Antonio." Uh oh, hopefully "Cro" didn't get too close to the Mrs., or their is going to be another little Schwartz calling him "Uncle" Antonio!

Not to put a damper on things (surprise!) but it is likely the crushing burden of child support through college for all of his 10 children forced him to find someone to take care of his finances. Regardless, it's good for him to talk to the rookies. Although he had veterans warn him when he was a rookie. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

"Cromartie grew extremely close to Schwartz's family -- the children now refer to him as "Uncle Antonio." Uh oh, hopefully "Cro" didn't get too close to the Mrs., or their is going to be another little Schwartz calling him "Uncle" Antonio!

Just because he ignored warnings doesn't mean that it makes no difference for other people. It won't change the nfl financial landscape but I'm sure there's some effect. That advice cro got at 22 might be helping him today even. No need to look for the negative in stories like this (assuming he's truly doing the right stuff now)