Coach Doug to Da'Rick - That's not being a Buffalo Bill

JoeF

Da'Rick made a great catch today in practice over Ron Brooks but then stood over Brooks to celebrate. Apparently immediately Coach went over to "counsel Da'Rick on more appropriate behavior"

Here was how Coach described it to the media--this is his quote on Da'Rick as reported by Mark Gaughan :

"I thought today was probably a better day for him than what he's had. I think it shows that he has the ability to do it. He needs to make sure that we see it consistently.

"The thing that concerned me -- and I addressed it with him right after he made a very good catch, then he kind of stood there over a player, and that’s a 15-yard penalty -- that's not what being a pro is, and that's not playing like a Buffalo Bill.

"I told him, 'Is this going to be something we're going to have to be concerned about with handling any type of success from you?' That’s what I told him. I looked at him in his eye, and he understood that. And it's good to end on a good note cuz now you're excited to see what he can do when we come back to the mandatory minicamps."

Edited by JoeF

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how fast will the stevie posts dominate this thread?

really appreciate the insight into marrone in that moment though. sounds like it was very well handled, and his vision will be well defined, and clearly communicated. things that are supposed to be his strengths are showing through in the quote.

Edited by NoSaint

Its a different culture driven by a different leader -- everyone will have an opinion whether they like it or not. Some will say its a game and games are about fun and expression. Others will say its a profession and you should play with passion but within the rules and in a professional manner. I go back to Marv Levy-- not known as a disciplinarian -- but he always said -- Act like you have been there before...

Its a different culture driven by a different leader -- everyone will have an opinion whether they like it or not. Some will say its a game and games are about fun and exp<b></b>ression. Others will say its a profession and you should play with passion but within the rules and in a professional manner. I go back to Marv Levy-- not known as a disciplinarian -- but he always said -- Act like you have been there before...

Aside from it being very unsportsman like towards a teammate, the real issue is running the risk of a nasty penalty when this happens in a game. On the other hand it's good to see he cares, plus this most likely puts Brooks on fire too, which is always good.

Its a different culture driven by a different leader -- everyone will have an opinion whether they like it or not. Some will say its a game and games are about fun and expression. Others will say its a profession and you should play with passion but within the rules and in a professional manner. I go back to Marv Levy-- not known as a disciplinarian -- but he always said -- Act like you have been there before...

This is exactly right.

I believe the coaches know what is on the line for Da'Rick maybe even more so then he does. Due to Marrone being around the game for so long and most likely seeing first hand very talented guys not make it, he does not want to see that for Da'Rick. The only thing i believe standing in Da'Ricks way of being a very productive player in the NFL is himself. Marrone is setting the tone to try and help him and others realize the amazing opportunity thet have. Good for them!

I don't see how it's even in the same ballpark. One is a showboating prankster who's great with his teammates, the other just disrespected a teammate on the field.

If Troy Vincent were still around, Da'Rick would be missing the 2013 season with a broken leg.

Lolz showing a team mate up in a May OTA..

:lol: Da'Rick Rogers OTA Superstar!!!!

Apparently the defense has been jawing all week -- so that probably was part of it. I also like the fact that it sends two messages:

- The kid has to be better than everyone else because of his past transgressions

- It also says as atlbillsfan1975 pointed out very astutely that Marrone sees awesome talent in the kid and will support him with tough love when needed. If Rogers is smart enough to figure this out that bond between coach and player could become really tight and that's great for the Bills.

I don't see how it's even in the same ballpark. One is a showboating prankster who's great with his teammates, the other just disrespected a teammate on the field.

If Troy Vincent were still around, Da'Rick would be missing the 2013 season with a broken leg.

Ha, no doubt...

really appreciate the insight into marrone in that moment though. sounds like it was very well handled, and his vision will be well defined, and clearly communicated. things that are supposed to be his strengths are showing through in the quote.

No need to "dominate" but they are in the same ballpark. It's safe to say Stevie won't be pulling his **** anymore. I think it goes without saying that I'm very, very pleased about that.

If this was:

Jauron- "I have to watch the tape to understand the situation."

Gailey- "I tried to get over their but it was tough to get there quickly."

Mularkey - "Da'Rick took the sails out of Brooks wind. Want a Cheeseburger?"

Greggo- "I offered Brooks a ten spot to take him out on the next play. You know -- kill the head."

I think we just witnessed Marrone's version of "you dog one of us, you dog all of us" -- except he did it to a player to get a message across, rather than some snot nosed kid making fun of a bad QB.

Good job, Doug!