Coach Doug to Da'Rick - That's not being a Buffalo Bill

JoeF

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Marrone got this idea ("play like a Buffalo Bill") by watching HBO's Hard Knocks with the Jets that one year where Rex Ryan was telling everyone to "play like a New York Jet" - I would expect our coach to come up with some original ideas for motivating the players rather than stealing them from the Jets coach by watching a TV show all the fans have access to. I also thought Marrone went a little too far in calling attention to how great he was by citation to his little motivational victory at the press conference. I want Wins, I don't want coaches putting gold stars on themselves at press conferences. Thumbs down IMO.

This reminds me a bit of when Mike Singletary benched Vernon Davis for taking an unnecessary roughness penalty which hurt the team.

At the time, Singletary explained his benching of Davis saying that "no player is above the team."

Davis has said that he's grateful that Singletary's discipline and tough love turned his career around.

Sounds like Marrone got this idea ("play like a Buffalo Bill") by watching HBO's Hard Knocks with the Jets that one year where Rex Ryan was telling everyone to "play like a New York Jet" - I would expect our coach to come up with some original ideas for motivating the players rather than stealing them from the Jets coach by watching a TV show all the fans have access to. I also thought Marrone went a little too far in calling attention to how great he was by citation to his little motivational victory at the press conference. I want Wins, I don't want coaches putting gold stars on themselves at press conferences. Thumbs down IMO.

Possibly grandstanding by the coach.

And/or a necessary message delivered to Rogers.

I'll judge the action by how Rogers does this year.

how fast will the stevie posts dominate this thread?

really appreciate the insight into marrone in that moment though. sounds like it was very well handled, and his vision will be well defined, and clearly communicated. things that are supposed to be his strengths are showing through in the quote.

why so serious ?

If you think "play like a [insert team name]" was invented by Rex Ryan you haven't been around very long. It's absolutely true Marrone hasn't invented anything new here, but that sort of mentality -- "we're better than that" or "we play this way" -- has been around for ages.

Rogers is clearly still a fool. Hopefully he learns, but I doubt it.

not a fool, just allowing his adrenaline to get the best of him. He made a tough grab and allowed his adrenaline fueled emotion take control.

he made a mistake and the coach called it out quickly. If he does it again then we'll start calling him a fool. if he learns his lesson then the mistake was a good one to learn now

Silly to make conclusions based on what we've heard... we always here about how the defense gets big britches and does a lot of hooting and hollering when they dominate. Just as possible Brooks was in his ear all day or week, so it could be just a little fun between teammates and nothing to do with being a punk. That said, good that Marrone makes it clear that in a game it would not be acceptable, so watch it.

Another thing I think is silly is the whole "act like you've been there before"... makes little sense because the guys who celebrate deliberately are the ones who have been there before and it shows. All the "great" celebrators (and potentially subject to penalties) are good at it precisely because they've been there before and have thought about it. Guys who score their first often have nothing elaborate or offensive... hand the ball back to ref... spike the ball hard perhaps... Maybe the saying should go "Act like you haven't been there before".

Silly to make conclusions based on what we've heard... we always here about how the defense gets big britches and does a lot of hooting and hollering when they dominate. Just as possible Brooks was in his ear all day or week, so it could be just a little fun between teammates and nothing to do with being a punk. That said, good that Marrone makes it clear that in a game it would not be acceptable, so watch it.

Another thing I think is silly is the whole "act like you've been there before"... makes little sense because the guys who celebrate deliberately are the ones who have been there before and it shows. All the "great" celebrators (and potentially subject to penalties) are good at it precisely because they've been there before and have thought about it. Guys who score their first often have nothing elaborate or offensive... hand the ball back to ref... spike the ball hard perhaps... Maybe the saying should go "Act like you haven't been there before".

It goes back to a bygone era -60' & 50's. Watch video of games and/or big plays of that era. You wouldn't know they scored the winning TD in thrilling fashion by how they acted. I don't mean to wax poetic, there was just more respect shown to opponents and all the players. In many ways the game was also much tougher then with allowable hits that find a player in jail at games end today. When they made a big play it was like they'd been there before and will be back again. They also seemed to seek out the ref to give the ball back after scoring.

Apparently the defense has been jawing all week -- so that probably was part of it.

Undoubtedly.

These guys know each other from the SEC and you can just imagine the smack going back and forth between the WRs and the DBs over the last few weeks.

Rogers let the emotion get the best of him and he was corrected.

I'd be more concerned with the fact that he has only one eye.

That is very concerning.

The only good receiver who had one good eye that I remember was Wesley Walker.

Maybe this is why they signed DeMarco Sampson.

:)

I think it's Marrone trying to make a statement more than it being that Da'Rick made a huge mistake. It's OTA's, and I remember stories of camp fights breaking out every so often by more than one team. I think this is Marrone's way of saying 1) "You're still on probation Da'Rick" and 2) "This is my team. This is my standard. I'm letting everyone on the field know this."

To me, it sounds like good, if tough, coaching.

Sammy Davis Jr...he was pretty nimble...

Indeed.....with no worries of over going the middle with a forearm shiver awaiting from a frothing at the mouth LB. :)

Beat me to it. That'll teach me to step away for a couple minutes..

Ha! :lol: