Coach Doug to Da'Rick - That's not being a Buffalo Bill

JoeF

I disagree, but with an important caveat.

On functional teams, player leadership remains consistent and important, regardless of coaching changes, in establishing expectations like what we're discussing. On teams like the Ravens, Steelers, Packers, etc., there's no question who sets the tone for the players: it's the leaders on the field, regardless of the coaching.

The caveat being: on functional teams. We've had a dysfunctional team for more than a decade. Which was kind-of my point - when players step up and start being leaders and taking care of things like this, and the coach doesn't have to, THEN I'll be convinced things are changing on OBD.

Agree with this DC. The self policing has been pretty non-existent since the 1999 team. The early 90's teams were made up of brash individuals -- but in most cases- except at Super Bowls, there was a high degree of player accountability. Even more timid guys like Bruce had no problem correcting their own or someone else's play when it was required.

My sense is the Bills have some players who for some reason have been shy to take these types of leadership roles but are capable. It just takes a few guys to demonstrate it and the coaching staff to reinforce it to make this kind of change -- and then everyone steps up a bit because it becomes the culture of the team. Its really how "team" is defined -- right now being a good teammate to most Bills has been supporting each other through good and bad but not really, even behind the scenes, doing really hard critiques of your play or a peers. That has to change.

We need to see more of Eric Wood when he said to Maybin "why don't you give back some of that money you ain't earned." You don't want guys fighting in the locker room but you want a culture of accountability not a culture of acceptance of mediocrity.

Edited by JoeF

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Da'Rick gets Da'Message.

"THAT'S NOT PLAYING LIKE A BUFFALO BILL!"

Love it!

Put these 2 responses together and Rogers could have a new nickname, let's just start calling him Da'Bill

If this was:

Jauron- "I have to watch the tape to understand the situation."

Gailey- "I tried to get over their but it was tough to get there quickly."

Mularkey - "Da'Rick took the sails out of Brooks wind. Want a Cheeseburger?"

Greggo- "I offered Brooks a ten spot to take him out on the next play. You know -- kill the head."

That was hysterical, very funny stuff! Lol!

Sammy Davis Jr...he was pretty nimble...

Don't forget Cyclops, that guy was a monster!

Every player to a tee loved playing for and respected Dick Jauron. Many players also committed border line crimes to get Gregg Williams' approval.

You were saying?

There is a vast difference between liking and respecting a coach as a person and also believing that coach can help you win games...key difference from everything I have read on Marrone---he can also help them win games...Jauron and Williams were well liked but there was little buy-in from the players in terms of believing they could help them win tough games...

When they want to run through the wall for you AND have 100% buy-in into what you are doing, then good results usually follow more often than not...

Edited by matter2003

Personally, I like that Marrone pointed out the reality of the behavior. You WILL get flagged for taunting. And let's face it, we've seen more than our share of good plays called back on penalty for just this stupid kind of stuff.

I agree. It wasn't the celebration, but standing over a player = 15 yard penalty. A good moment for all the young guys on the team. They will all prob be very excited when they make their first big/hard catch or play, but they need to control their emotions. Just chest bump another receiver or do some wacky hi-5, don't draw a 15 yard penalty.

I disagree, but with an important caveat.

On functional teams, player leadership remains consistent and important, regardless of coaching changes, in establishing expectations like what we're discussing. On teams like the Ravens, Steelers, Packers, etc., there's no question who sets the tone for the players: it's the leaders on the field, regardless of the coaching.

The caveat being: on functional teams. We've had a dysfunctional team for more than a decade. Which was kind-of my point - when players step up and start being leaders and taking care of things like this, and the coach doesn't have to, THEN I'll be convinced things are changing on OBD.

Fair enough. Certainly valid point .

Agree with this DC. The self policing has been pretty non-existent since the 1999 team. The early 90's teams were made up of brash individuals -- but in most cases- except at Super Bowls, there was a high degree of player accountability. Even more timid guys like Bruce had no problem correcting their own or someone else's play when it was required.

My sense is the Bills have some players who for some reason have been shy to take these types of leadership roles but are capable. It just takes a few guys to demonstrate it and the coaching staff to reinforce it to make this kind of change -- and then everyone steps up a bit because it becomes the culture of the team. Its really how "team" is defined -- right now being a good teammate to most Bills has been supporting each other through good and bad but not really, even behind the scenes, doing really hard critiques of your play or a peers. That has to change.

We need to see more of Eric Wood when he said to Maybin "why don't you give back some of that money you ain't earned." You don't want guys fighting in the locker room but you want a culture of accountability not a culture of acceptance of mediocrity.

I think it might be partially the players were not sure what the agenda was.

And to Tom's caveat . I feel like Marrone is clearly defining what a "Bill " is . Once he has shown the wherewithall and fortititude the players like Wood and K Williams will become empowered.

So maybe we are finally moving away from dysfunctional and creating consistent goals and behaviour . Coach keeps saying "Be a Bill." I kinda like that. I still love his interviews . very little bull **** going on

I agree. It wasn't the celebration, but standing over a player = 15 yard penalty. A good moment for all the young guys on the team. They will all prob be very excited when they make their first big/hard catch or play, but they need to control their emotions. Just chest bump another receiver or do some wacky hi-5, don't draw a 15 yard penalty.

you bet. the situation arose for the coach to let his players know exactly how he feels about these type of situations. now they know, and to do it again would not be wise. stay classy and play smart.

There is a vast difference between liking and respecting a coach as a person and also believing that coach can help you win games...key difference from everything I have read on Marrone---he can also help them win games...Jauron and Williams were well liked but there was little buy-in from the players in terms of believing they could help them win tough games...

When they want to run through the wall for you AND have 100% buy-in into what you are doing, then good results usually follow more often than not...

Its wait and see with Marrone, its hard to believe that he is the savior or that the players really believe in him without seeing some results in games. Once the team has played 4 games we can start to take the temperature of him and his staff. By the end of the season we can really know what he is made of and by the end of year 2 we will have a sense of if he is really what this team needs.

I expect 6-7 wins but I would be really happy with 8 or 9 just getting to .500 or above with a rookie head coach and a QB situation that is either a rookie or a low level vet would be a great foundation to build on.

"THAT'S NOT PLAYING LIKE A BUFFALO BILL!"

Love it!

+1. And it probably also sent out an IMPLICIT message to Stevie. His post-TD antics will not be tolerated, especially if it ends up disrespecting the opponent.

+1. And it probably also sent out an IMPLICIT message to Stevie. His post-TD antics will not be tolerated, especially if it ends up disrespecting the opponent.

... and costing a 15 yard penalty, and your team a win, and your HC loss of face. Maronne handled it properly. He's setting the tone. Like DC Tom says, let's see the players now step up and begin to carry the tune. I have no problem with this team establishing an identity that doesn't include showboating.

Actually, it's less Marrone's job that it is another player's. I'm glad someone called him out on it...but I'll be truly impressed and start believing things are changing when a player steps up and shows some leadership in saying "We don't do that **** on this team, especially not to each other."

Yeah exactly me too! It's definitely refreshing to see an edge in the coaching staff but you're right, lets see some vets step in and set the bar

Yeah exactly me too! It's definitely refreshing to see an edge in the coaching staff but you're right, lets see some vets step in and set the bar

Maybe some of the vets have been on a dysfunctional team for too long, but I certainly support a coach who demands his players treat his teammates and the game with respect.

Maybe some of the vets have been on a dysfunctional team for too long, but I certainly support a coach who demands his players treat his teammates and the game with respect.

Or the Vets themselves are dysnfunctional and have not pulled up players like Stevie to not act stupid or selfish.