Is Jim Kelly ill ?? (update - has cancer)

Pops had the same cancer and its usually local. But can spread to lymph nodes if not caught early enough. Luckily they caught it early enough for my dad and he was able to beat the disease with chemo and radiation. It was a tough years or so, but he won the battle! Been cancer free for almost 10 years now! Good luck Kelly family and circle the wagons! GO BILLS!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/03/jim-kelly-has-cancer-prognosis-for-recovery-is-good/

Edited by johnnywo

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, you're in another battle with a long way to go, opposing challenges all along the way and the clock is ticking. I can think of NO ONE else I'd rather see quarterbacking this high stakes drive than you! Doing 'whatever it takes to win' has served you so well and is your mantra!

Best wishes!

Git 'er Done, Jimbo!

Jim has mentioned in the past that when something bad happened to him (shoulder injury in college, for example) one of his brothers or a parent would say, "You're a Kelly; you're a fighter. You can overcome this." - No doubt this will be a tough fight but one this Kelly can overcome and win. Best wishes, Jim.

I have heard of the stories of Kelly in his younger days & a couple of the stories I have on good sources. I am not going to rehash them here while he is down. So he has some skeletons in his closet, so does everybody else. Nobody is perfect. Along with Doc Gooden & D Strawberry(I know I picked a couple of winners. What can I say, Gooden was must see TV for me anytime he pitched & Straw had the sweetest swing I have ever seen), kelly was my idol. I met him one time in 1987 when I was 14 at the mall. It was a Monday. My friend & I were in a sporting good store & there is #12 all by himself. We went up to him, told him nice game & he bought us posters of himself & signed them. I still have the poster. I met him a few other times too & he was always nice. He signed a hall of fame plaque I have of him at a football camp he was running. Whatever mistakes he has made he has paid for them 100xs over with the fate of his son. & what him & Jill have done for chariity, noone could ever take that away from them.

With that being said, god bless you Kelly, you are a Buffalo Icon.

Hopefully the Jim Kelly hate posts will stop today for good... I didn't like him as a person when he played, but he has obviously changed over time and has really been hit with two serious blows.

The one thing I think about all of this is how in the hell does a healthy person get cancer? Probably from the toxic dumps that killed my Dad...

Hopefully the Jim Kelly hate posts will stop today for good... I didn't like him as a person when he played, but he has obviously changed over time and has really been hit with two serious blows.

The one thing I think about all of this is how in the hell does a healthy person get cancer? Probably from the toxic dumps that killed my Dad...

Anyone can get cancer. It does not discriminate.

My boss died from it a couple of months back... still pisses me off we can't cure this after decades of cash, cash and more cash...

Every cancer is different and one umbrella cure is not possible. Great strides have been made in certain cancers like skin, prostate, breast and even childhood leukemia where survival rates are many times better than they ever were and in some cases the odds are AGAINST death.

Lots of good work is happening and will continue to happen. Genomic research is leading to customized regimens of chemotherapy. Just a few short years ago oncologists would just blast away at your cancer with whatever drugs they had in their arsenal. Now we are beginning to read a person's genetic profile and know what drugs they are more or less likely to respond to. It's amazing stuff. Again, I am not a scientist nor do I pretend to be one. In my line of work, I am around this stuff a lot though, and pick up what I can here and there.

In the meantime, we fight as best we can. F#*% cancer! Kick it's ass, Jim!!!

My boss died from it a couple of months back... still pisses me off we can't cure this after decades of cash, cash and more cash...

My mother died from it....have other relatives that survived and some not. It is a horrible disease but research is helping. I think it's very difficult to cure as it has many forms but progress has been made.

This is devastatingly bad news. If its in the bone they will resect the bone unless it has spread outside the bone into the regional lymph nodes or even outside the neck . If its spread and unresectable, there is no cure.

For those of you fans that were giving Jim kelly a hard time you should be banned from two bills drive. Im embarrassed to think you would associate yourself with the bills or buffalo.

This is terrible news to a young man who has a family.

These patients even if the cancer is caught early, which it usually isnt, still have a very hard time with surgery ( usually disfiguring) and radiation treatment which is very hard to endure.

This is very depressing news and the only people who arent feeling terrible for Jim are idiots or people who dont understand what a terrible diagnosis this is.

Jim Kelly was such a key figure in buffalo sports history and has been a class act since he left I was close to tears hearing about this.

FYI while im a radiologist who reads alot of ct's and mri on patients with head n neck cancer, we dont know the TNM stage for the cancer. Lets pray it was caught early but even if it was, Jim will be undergoing a very complex, difficult treatment plan.

Edited by jkhmlf

This is devastatingly bad news. If its in the bone they will resect the bone unless it has spread outside the bone into the regional lymph nodes or even outside the neck . If its spread and unresectable, there is no cure.

For those of you fans that were giving Jim kelly a hard time you should be banned from two bills drive. Im embarrassed to think you would associate yourself with the bills or buffalo.

This is terrible news to a young man who has a family.

These patients even if the cancer is caught early, which it usually isnt, still have a very hard time with surgery ( usually disfiguring) and radiation treatment which is very hard to endure.

This is very depressing news and the only people who arent feeling terrible for Jim are idiots or people who dont understand what a terrible diagnosis this is.

Excellent points. While he may survive he is in for some tough times ahead. Hoping for the best.