Dareus is back

I'm not sure I would call him a bust yet. In his rookie season with little help (Kyle Williams injured), he led the team with 5.5 sacks from the DT position in a 4-3 defense. That was a team that only had 28 sacks for the entire season. Last year, I didn't see what I wanted or expected from him, but losing his brother had to be a big deal. I think we're going to see something special this season.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad Dareus has shown up. I dont understand why Lawson and Branch have not. yea yea voluntary schmolentary. Its a whole new system being installed . Every moment not there is wasted opportunity for improvement and getting up to speed with the coaches.

I was thinking there is good chance coaches may have little idea about how Dareus will fit. There are just meeting him aren't they ?

So the projecting about the coaches telling him a weight to get to is not valid in my opinion. He is probably overweight and out of shape.

Lets let the coaches get a hold of him and put him to work. Give him some focus and some short term goals .

He has been my favorite player previous to the draft and delighted we picked him. But he needs work and needs to get to work.

I'm in his corner , but i also have concerns.

as 8and8 said we just dont know much right now.

Now get those pads strapped up and we might have something to chew on

Kind of a jerk thing to say. Dareus was good as a rookie. Not great but good. 6 out of 10. Which was fine for a rookie- everyone was psyched for his second year. Remember Drayton Florence telling him he could be great on the sideline against Denver? He meant it. His second year, his brother died, concluding (hopefully) an incredibly horrendous run of immediate family member deaths. He had a down year. Not terrible but down. It's his third year coming up. Let's call last year a sophomore slump and get behind this guy. There's nothing else to say about it. If he sucks this year, then we have a problem. So to answer your question, one more year's cushion.

He had a good rookie season.He was terrible last year. Not a down year. That said, he gets a pass because of his brother. This is his year to define himself. Get it done or he is not worth keeping.

I agree with the shaped like a circle comment. I saw his interview on the Bills site. Man, he just seems to be getting fatter and softer. He looks easy to push around. I don't think you can compete in today's NFL letting yourself go like that. Petrine should be screaming at him to not leave the weight room.

If he sucks this year, then we have a problem.

And we will know if that is going to be the case in about 4 months.

By no means does he get 12 games without scrutiny to find his groove. This was the highest Buffalo Bills draft pick since Bruce Smith, he is expected to live up to his potential. He was not overdrafted on the basis of talent, he has the talent.

But filthy rich, distracted and depressed would not seem to me to be a good recipe for a turnaround.

A player of low character would put their career on cruise control and keep collecting those paychecks until the team cut him and then try to find motivation in a different circumstance. We've seen that scenario play-out many times in the NFL.

Past history says it is reasonable to be aware of the signs of this.......like inattention to team activities, mandatory or otherwise.

This year is about character for Dareus. I know that will rankle some people here, but that's what it is. A character check. Will he get focused and step up and do the job he is capable of, or will he make excuses for himself? It's one thing to carry on when you lose those you care about when you have no money and football is your only safe outlet. it's another to stay on course when it happens and you have millions of dollars and the distractions that come with wealth(99+) to contend with. Money doesn't change you, it makes you more of what you already are.

Kind of a jerk thing to say. Dareus was good as a rookie. Not great but good. 6 out of 10. Which was fine for a rookie- everyone was psyched for his second year. Remember Drayton Florence telling him he could be great on the sideline against Denver? He meant it. His second year, his brother died, concluding (hopefully) an incredibly horrendous run of immediate family member deaths. He had a down year. Not terrible but down. It's his third year coming up. Let's call last year a sophomore slump and get behind this guy. There's nothing else to say about it. If he sucks this year, then we have a problem. So to answer your question, one more year's cushion.

Excellent Post. It's not even training camp, give this kid a break.

Marcell Dareusicon-article-link.gif was back at OTAs working on his game Tuesday.

“I had stuff I had to take care of,” said Dareus as to why he was unable to attend the voluntary practices last week. “As a man, everybody has their responsibility. I had my responsibility I had to take care of. I did that, and now I’m back here with the guys, working on what we’re going to work on.

“I stayed in my playbook, stayed in shape. Just came out here ready to run.”

You can take care of your responsibilities when OTAs aren't running, when it's time work you get your ass to work.

I'd love have a job where I have months away from the job but when I get called into work then suddenly I have "responsibilities" to take care of right when I'm needed to get work done.

Cut the BS Dareus if you want to stay in this league you better step up or you will be on the street soon.

By no means does he get 12 games without scrutiny to find his groove. This was the highest Buffalo Bills draft pick since Bruce Smith, he is expected to live up to his potential. He was not overdrafted on the basis of talent, he has the talent.

But filthy rich, distracted and depressed would not seem to me to be a good recipe for a turnaround.

A player of low character would put their career on cruise control and keep collecting those paychecks until the team cut him and then try to find motivation in a different circumstance. We've seen that scenario play-out many times in the NFL.

Past history says it is reasonable to be aware of the signs of this.......like inattention to team activities, mandatory or otherwise.

This year is about character for Dareus. I know that will rankle some people here, but that's what it is. A character check. Will he get focused and step up and do the job he is capable of, or will he make excuses for himself? It's one thing to carry on when you lose those you care about when you have no money and football is your only safe outlet. it's another to stay on course when it happens and you have millions of dollars and the distractions that come with wealth(99+) to contend with. Money doesn't change you, it makes you more of what you already are.

This post is impossible to argue with from top to bottom. After having watched most of his games at Alabama, I expected more from him, especially on running plays. He did put pressure on qbs, but his forte imo was stuffing the middle as well as making tackles vs. the run. This is grueling work and as you say, one must be motivated to do this, talent level notwithstanding.

I always liked the kid, and I hope that he produces. It would mean a lot to this team if he can get himself together and take over a few games.

You've just described Mike Williams. Hope it doesn't play out that way again.

You've just described Mike Williams.

And Derrick Dockery. He got his 49 million dollar contract (18 guaranteed) and never put any more effort into playing football. His uniform was shiny and clean after games. He looked as if he just didn't care.

I hope that this doesn't happen to MD. As I said, I always liked the kid.

Great post. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling where this is headed

He is by no means a bust and people who are already calling him that are absurd. He obviously lacks some discipline and is going to get better, but he has to get in shape and stay in shape. I am always hesitant of guys coming from teams with uber talent like Bama, thet are so well coached and so deep that that the play around them hides there deficiencies.

This is an interesting point. Most of the time you hear the opposite like "Ron Brooks would have been a standout if he wasn't the 3rd corner on a loaded LSU defense". But I never thought about it the other way around. Shep is a good example. He was the point man for a great college defense, but when he came to the NFL he looked like the slowest guy out there and couldn't get off blocks.

McCargo also backs up your point.

I guess there are examples both ways.

If we only knew how good JJ Watt would be. Since he went 8 picks later. Im sure Marcell will really improve this year.

You could easily tell by watching the video that Watt was gonna be excellent.

That 2011 NFL draft might go down as one of the greatest drafts ever and also one of the greatest defensive line drafts ever.

Dareus, Aldon Smith, Watt, Robert Quinn, Ryan Kerrigan, Adrian Clayborn, Cam Jordan, Wilkerson, Cam Heyward, Nick Fairley, Liuget, Phil Taylor… all were first rounders.

And many awesome D-linemen went in the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well.

That would have been a good year to try and trade down but it was at a time when Buddy was totally against the idea.