ESPN cutting hundreds of jobs

The pyramids would be just about finished -- today -- if unions were involved.

What's a few hundred thousand dead slaves anyway? A write off! :thumbsup: Bonus, please!

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case the Egyptians were management wizards by using slaves to build their pyramids.

Ironically you have just made the argument why there needs to be unions. Something to balance the interests of workers against managements imperitive to bleed rocks.

Now like any imbalance , unions can be just as bad as business when they have too much power

But the reason we have 40 hour, 5 day work weeks, no child labor, and safety rules is because labor won those protections, not because business owners were feeling generous.

PTR

Only a certain mind could equate a simple statement about the relationship between a corporation and its shareholders to dictators and slaves.

While no one can argue against the workplace improvements unions forced industry to adapt, there is little doubt that the vast majority of American workers see no need for a union in their workplace. Only 11.2% are in unions (only 6.6% of private sector jobs). In fact, workers are flocking to "right to work" states, where companies are opening new plants in the manufacturing sector.

Unions may have become irrelevant if not for their hold on the public employment sector and the politicians who fund them (and vice-versa). The results of the union/politician mating has been disastrous for many cities (Detroit is the worst example) all over the country. Or whole states (see California, Illinois...).

His point is they would rather make the work load harder on the workers so that they can increase their bonuses. The average CEO now makes 350 times what the average worker makes. Do You think they would cut their own salary to make budget? No way. They would rather make it more difficult on the workers who are left. What may well happen is that the quality of the programming may suffer and ultimately lead to the need for more layoffs to meet budget. Why is the first decision these suits usually make is to cut people? Can't they earn that huge salary and be creative? Or better yet cut their own salaries so that people don't have to be unemployed. Most of the cuts are in technology. They didn't work there because they were not needed. The product will suffer. Cutting people can be so shortsighted.

that or the staff has gotten bloated and cuts were justified.

we really have no idea, unless you have first hand knowledge that we dont.

What's a few hundred thousand dead slaves anyway? A write off! :thumbsup: Bonus, please!

PTR

Nahhh, those slaves were in great shape. They were jacked and sang good songs. Watch "The Ten Commandments" sometime. It was the Emporer's soldiers on horseback that got swallowed by the Red Sea and died. Get your facts straight.

:thumbsup:

The uneven moderation of this board is an absolute joke.

I'm not sure why you are saying that. The OP here is the moderator, and as predicted this got moved to PPP. I assume he was the one to move it. When I first saw this thread yesterday I actually wondered how long it would take to turn political and get moved.

I'm not sure why you are saying that. The OP here is the moderator, and as predicted this got moved to PPP. I assume he was the one to move it. When I first saw this thread yesterday I actually wondered how long it would take to turn political and get moved.

I'm guessing some posts got deleted.

I'm guessing some posts got deleted.

I doubt any by Tasker did. He stated upthread that he would wait to comment until this got moved to PPP. Of course that could be sarcasm after having a post deleted. Anyway, I don't have a problem with how we are moderated down here, and stay away from political stuff and name calling on the main board so don't have a problem over there.

anyone who has been cut so that an executive can receive his yearly bonus knows this is a real scumbag move. It generally burdens the remaining employees to shoulder the workload, while reducing morale and the feeling of job security. The bottom line is that you feel that you can lose your job no matter how hard you work.

Remember when ESPN employees said "I refuse to shoulder an additional workload so you can give an executive a bonus" and ESPN told them they had no choice, sit down, shut up and get back to work before being beaten with their own keyboard??

Neither does anyone else.

Internet killed print newspapers how long before it kills 24/7 news channels?

Not soon enough.

As for ESPN, 7,000 employees?!? Good grief; that's the worst return on human capital this side of the US Department of Education.

Corporate America at its finest..must maximize gain! Who cares whose lives we destroy in the process! Keep stockholders happy!

So now being laid off from a job = lives being destroyed?? Good grief, get some perspective.

In that case the Egyptians were management wizards by using slaves to build their pyramids.

Ironically you have just made the argument why there needs to be unions. Something to balance the interests of workers against managements imperitive to bleed rocks.

No he hasn't. The balance is that employees are free to walk out the door on almost any job at any time, without penalty, and find any other way they choose to make their living. I'm pretty sure the Egyptians didn't have the same rights.

But the reason we have 40 hour, 5 day work weeks, no child labor, and safety rules is because labor won those protections, not because business owners were feeling generous.

And now all that is all codified into law, making unions pretty much obsolete -- except maybe for cops who have to shoot people on occassion and need some type of group protection.

So now being laid off from a job = lives being destroyed??

The one thing a conversation like this tends to do is float to the top all the people who believe a job is something that companies are obligated to give to people. People are owed a job, and full bennies, and a break at 10 and another at 3 and a 90-minute lunch and vacation and sick days and personal days and maternity leave and a breakroom with coffee and gluten-free snacks.

They're owed all this because, y'know, the company has all the money. And they should spread it around evenly. Cuz, y'know, that's only fair.

The one thing a conversation like this tends to do is float to the top all the people who believe a job is something that companies are obligated to give to people. People are owed a job, and full bennies, and a break at 10 and another at 3 and a 90-minute lunch and vacation and sick days and personal days and maternity leave and a breakroom with coffee and gluten-free snacks.

They're owed all this because, y'know, the company has all the money. And they should spread it around evenly. Cuz, y'know, that's only fair.

You're right...people just don't like to hear it. It's about making/maximizing a profit with a publicly held company. It does suck for the workers but that's the nature of it....and certainly within their (Disney's) rights.

This is just the suits at Disney feeling like they need another fat bonus. It's happening every day.

Management figures out that people will work harder to hang on to their jobs. So you blow out 4% of your workforce, wait and see if stuff still gets done, then give yourself a bonus for being such an awesome manager.

PTR

Not to burst your working man BS pity party, but management staff and "suits" get laid off, too. A lot, actually.

Edited by RkFast

What I learned from watching ESPN:

-- the NFL consists of the NFC East, the NY Jets, Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning.

-- hockey does not exist

-- Stephen A. Smith is unwatchable

-- really, really tall people shoving a basketball through a hoop is a skill

What I learned from watching ESPN:

-- the NFL consists of the NFC East, the NY Jets, Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning.

-- hockey does not exist

-- Stephen A. Smith is unwatchable

-- really, really tall people shoving a basketball through a hoop is a skill

We don't talk sports down here. What are you trying to do, get this thread to be the first thread ever to go from PPP to the main board?