NFL looks like it's going to move draft to May

bbb

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think NFL teams want more time to look at rookies. They also want to get more FAs signed before draft.

I think NFL front office wants to move NFL draft to a period which they can affect ratings more.

I think the NFLPA wants to oppose anything NFL wants on matter of principle (principle being "pay us or no").

If free agency period and June 1 date are not moved I think it is a bad idea.

Maybe good for some rookies since their schools are still in session and they will miss less OTAs but they could just move the OTAs dates.

Seriously, that would get the most ratings possible, right? One every day in May.

I mean, it almost seems idiocracy-esque. But you think ESPN/NFLN could blow 30 minutes in the lead-up to, and an analysis of every first round pick? You bet your ass they could!

May is a network sweeps month. The draft is a ratings winner.

Not necessarily. Both draft shows are on cable networks, where sweeps aren't that important.

Great, we will have more time for useless mock drafts :D

Seriously, I don't know how I feel about it. The draft is in the last week of April, are we talking end of May or just a couple fo days into the month? I only see the rookies as the only ones really affected by this decision.

I mean, it almost seems idiocracy-esque. But you think ESPN/NFLN could blow 30 minutes in the lead-up to, and an analysis of every first round pick? You bet your ass they could!

does this mean that in between picks we could watch new episodes of "ow, my bawlz"?! sign me up dude, i got my gatorade ready cuz it's got electrolites!

There was talk here in Indy during the NFL Combine to move it back a month to get the NFL to a year around TV schedule. After the Draft there is a lull from May to July and the start or training camp. If the move the Combine back one month, then they can move the Draft to the end of May. Secondary effect is new GMs and coaching staffs can get in place and ready for the draft. Makes sense when you want your sport to be the topic of sports conversation year around. No real off season from football anymore for the fans.