The Steeler Way

Doug Whaley referred to the "Steeler Way" as being a mindset where failure is not an option (paraphrase). My observations of One Bills Drive (Brandon, Whaley, Marrone) is that this is the "new norm" for the Bills. Obviously, there is still a lot to prove, but there seems to be a greater emphasis on high expectations and accountability than there was in the past. As an avid Ohio State Buckeye fan, I sense some parallels between Urban Meyer's standards of excellence and Doug Marrone's. Here's to hoping that I'm right.

All this good when you have success and that starts with the QB. Without Ben Rothelisberger, that team was an average team with FitzCrappy type QBs. Once they had the Franchise QB then their mindset changed. Let us hope E.J. Manuel does to the Bills what Ben was able to do for the Steelers.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug Whaley referred to the "Steeler Way" as being a mindset where failure is not an option (paraphrase). My observations of One Bills Drive (Brandon, Whaley, Marrone) is that this is the "new norm" for the Bills. Obviously, there is still a lot to prove, but there seems to be a greater emphasis on high expectations and accountability than there was in the past. As an avid Ohio State Buckeye fan, I sense some parallels between Urban Meyer's standards of excellence and Doug Marrone's. Here's to hoping that I'm right.

I hear that.

All this good when you have success and that starts with the QB. Without Ben Rothelisberger, that team was an average team with FitzCrappy type QBs. Once they had the Franchise QB then their mindset changed. Let us hope E.J. Manuel does to the Bills what Ben was able to do for the Steelers.

While they have obviously done better with Rothlisberger they weren't exactly average without him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXX

That's the same era mind you that had the "immortal" Rypien and Hostetler beating HoF Jim Kelly for super bowl titles so you could argue its was a different game.

The Steeler Way ? No coincidence they have had a decent QB in place for the last 10 years. I wonder how the Bills would have fared with Big Ben in the last 10 years. And how would the Steelers have fared with Losman, Fitzpatrick & Edwards. With a decent QB who can win games and especially win close games at the end life is a lot easier. Massive impact in the Wins column and makes everyone look good. Not sure how much impact Whaley had on the successful Pittsburgh teams and how much credit he deserves. If EJ turns out above average then Whaley will probably enjoy a long and happy stay as GM.

I agree. It really is that simple. The teams with good QBs win, the teams without good QBs lose. Look at the colts the year they did not have Manning or Luck.

Also, think of all of the resources you can devote to other positions when you are not chasing a QB every couple of years.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

Urban Meyer ?......that's like saying I want my big league team to copy the successful AAA team. Different league and not comparible

As for the Steeler way - yes win on defese, I've said many times we get caught up with quarterback play but look at the steelers record when the opponent scores 21 points or more with Ben at QB they are 3-12 since 2010. They win on defense

What, are you saying "Strive for Mediocrity" wasn't getting the job done?

Quite the opposite, actually. They achieved mediocrity on a very consistent basis for more than the past decade. :ph34r:

It's time for a change. But not the kind of change that brings in a new HC and a new system every 3 years. That as much as anything else that went on at OBD was responsible for the cluster flock we've had to endure, which eventually turned fans into something like piraña attacking alive cattle crossing the Amazon river.

Go Bills!

While I am excited for all of the changes here in Buffalo and looking forward to the upcoming season I am reluctant to buy into a concept of "Accountability" being what turns this franchise around. Its going to take players that fit into a system that works. With every change in head coach comes a new "plan" and every new plan requires new pieces. We have been plagued by a continuing cycle of rebuilding because we have not acquired the right pieces to install on offense AND defense to give us a playoff birth. We are trying to build a Cadillac but we keep buying Kia parts. I am excited to see an offensive coach that seems to know exactly what he wants and drafted guys who should be offensive difference makers. I am excited to have a DC next to our head coach, with a proven track record in a CURRENT nfl, that came to Buffalo because of what he thought he could build with the parts Nix acquired. While none of these things may give us results on the field I am rejuvenated and ready to roll with the new, young , revamped team. It's time to wipe the smug look off the faces of Pats fans for good. Can't wait for Week 1 and can't wait to roll with EJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always BILLIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that Accountability is just one factor, but an important one at that. It helps create the environment of excellence. Here's what I think of when referring to accountability: It means that players are held to high standards both on and off the field. It means not accepting Rolando McClain and Titus Young incidents. It means that they are expected to show up to the team in shape and ready to go. It means practicing hard, going full throttle until the whistle blows, not taking plays off, and not giving a weak effort when things aren't going your way.

While I am excited for all of the changes here in Buffalo and looking forward to the upcoming season I am reluctant to buy into a concept of "Accountability" being what turns this franchise around. Its going to take players that fit into a system that works. With every change in head coach comes a new "plan" and every new plan requires new pieces. We have been plagued by a continuing cycle of rebuilding because we have not acquired the right pieces to install on offense AND defense to give us a playoff birth. We are trying to build a Cadillac but we keep buying Kia parts. I am excited to see an offensive coach that seems to know exactly what he wants and drafted guys who should be offensive difference makers. I am excited to have a DC next to our head coach, with a proven track record in a CURRENT nfl, that came to Buffalo because of what he thought he could build with the parts Nix acquired. While none of these things may give us results on the field I am rejuvenated and ready to roll with the new, young , revamped team. It's time to wipe the smug look off the faces of Pats fans for good. Can't wait for Week 1 and can't wait to roll with EJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always BILLIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Never doubt the power of accountability.

It is the driving force behind success. It guarantees the preparation and it weeds out those not suited and/or committed to achieving the goal.

For most of the Bills history they have been overseen by a man who was not going to be held accountable. He had that option because he owned the team. If he wanted to cut off his nose to spite his face, that was his prerogative and he did so on many occasions much to the detriment of the franchise.

I think Whaley was wise to bring that point up, because the entire NFL and a lot of the old-time Bills fans have long known that the achilles heal of the franchise has been the combination of Ralph's mercurial nature and his desire to micro-manage his own management personnel.

I think that Accountability is just one factor, but an important one at that. It helps create the environment of excellence. Here's what I think of when referring to accountability: It means that players are held to high standards both on and off the field. It means not accepting Rolando McClain and Titus Young incidents. It means that they are expected to show up to the team in shape and ready to go. It means practicing hard, going full throttle until the whistle blows, not taking plays off, and not giving a weak effort when things aren't going your way.

Marrone seems to have that balance of toughness and player respect that will allow him to coach his players harder than Gailey did.

I said when Gailey was hired that he always had a tendency to blame his players in the media and that would wear thin on his team because they simply will lose respect for him. He showed some of that early on as Bills HC and much to my disappointment the despised Lil' Donte said as much last year when talking about his former coach. I think Gailey made a point of it to not do that last year....... but by then he had already proven himself as not-a-winner to his players and they just weren't totally behind what he was trying to do.

Marrone seems to understand that delicate balance needed to keep the players focused on the common goal. When you have that, you can hold players accountable and still get those results. Of course, Marrone will have to get results in the win column relatively soon or the players will lose faith in his competence.

That said, I see the accountability issue more as it relates to Whaley's directors and scouts. The Bills had a jacked situation in their scouting department for years when their lead man Tom Modrak basically never went on the road to scout. Modrak was an All-star when he was working full time in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia but he was a detriment when he was scouting from home. I really think Buddy is more of a scout-emeritus and will have little input because you simply can't be half-committed in a truly accountable structure.

The Steeler Way... Isn't this where Doug Whaley tears off the false face to show that he is really Tom Donohoe in disguise and frantically laughs at the Bills FO and fans vowing to destroy the Bills reputation by winning games.

Edited by VADC Bills

...I concur. So far this off season does have a different and distinctly better feel than previous years, the results will ultimately speak for themselves but I gotta BILLIEVE!!!!

i think it also means that as a football player giving all you've got, if you see one of your teammates not putting forth the effort then you jump all over him like a donkey on a waffle!

...I concur. So far this off season does have a different and distinctly better feel than previous years, the results will ultimately speak for themselves but I gotta BILLIEVE!!!!

strangely, this season does feel different. i am always optimistic, but this year i don't seem to be trying so hard to maintain the positive outlook. it's just so new at OBD and it seems everyone is getting the benefit of the doubt. or at least most people are going to let them flounder a bit before telling the world how much they suck.

Blah blah nonsense. Win games, then you can spew this stuff.

so....should we all just quit now and reconvene after opening weekend? or do we have to wait until after the first win? or, can we all stick around but only if we promise to exclusively B word about how bad the bills are and how everything is meaningless until they win enough games to satisfy even the most miserable inhabitants of this board (or under the bridge leading to it)?

so....should we all just quit now and reconvene after opening weekend? or do we have to wait until after the first win? or, can we all stick around but only if we promise to exclusively B word about how bad the bills are and how everything is meaningless until they win enough games to satisfy even the most miserable inhabitants of this board (or under the bridge leading to it)?

I think you also have to B word about everyone drinks the kool-aid too