No Bills talk on WGR

I thought WGR was the home of the Bills. I live out of town and tried to listen this morning via the Internet so that I could catch up on the Nix/Whaley situation, and all they want to talk about is hockey! Boy Howard Simon has really fallen since the days of Fan tv. Is there another station that covers the Bills?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought WGR was the home of the Bills. I live out of town and tried to listen this morning via the Internet so that I could catch up on the Nix/Whaley situation, and all they want to talk about is hockey! Boy Howard Simon has really fallen since the days of Fan tv. Is there another station that covers the Bills?

I am becoming convinced that either a producer, or, WGR hosts themselves eyeball this site while on air. As soon as you posted this, they start talking football. :lol:

A pattern seems to be developing.

They have nothing to B word about:

Cheap old owner? Turned over reins to Brandon

Bad head coach and coordinators? Fired; hired up-and-comer

GM perceived to be buffoon? Retired; Whaley presumed to be replacement

No QBs on roster? Acquired Kolb and drafted Manuel

They're flummoxed.

They're flummoxed.

Good point. All the old standbys, which allowed them to do their shows with the minimum amount of thought required, are now gone.

They are actually going to have to pay attention to the team, go to camp, watch these new players play, etc. They are going to have to deal with Doug Whaley, whom I sincerely doubt is willing to give them a pass for saying stupid things, like Buddy was. Whaley doesn't strike me as petty, but, he does seem like the guy who is going to calmly and cooly return fire on the media if they get out of line. That's basically what he's done so far.

They're flummoxed.

Plus it's very easy to pick on the Sabres right now.

I thought I was the only one that noticed this. I'm curious about another station as well. I cannot believe the Bills are so blatantly ignored on a daily basis. The 2 most recent times were when Sheppard was traded and all morning they talked about was hockey. And then the Monday morning after a 3 days Bills rookie camp, I turn on the radio hoping to hear some thoughts or insider information from someone actually attending the practices and once again it's hockey and Tiger freaking Woods and Sergio Garcia. I literally couldn't believe it. I knew immediately that that was what was on the front page of the Buffalo News sports section, because that's what they'll always talk about. I for one could care less about golf or the rest of the Nhl world, especially after the Sabres season is over. I want to hear about the Buffalo Bills. From someone that actually attended the practices. I want to hear about how EJ Manuel looked. Why Da'Rick Rogers was getting no catches. On Kiko Alonso flying around and hitting his teammates. On how easily Goodwin ran past everyone. So then my next alternative is to come on here and I get to read about posters bashing the Bills, or fighting like children amongst themselves, or policing the boards like they own them and no one else is entitled to have an opinion unless they devote their entire existence to the site and have 5000 posts. I just want to get easy to access, quick information about the team I grew up loving. Some posters are very knowledgeable, and others provide valuable links to other sites that are extremely informative and interesting. I thoroughly enjoy their posts. I listen generally in the morning to Howard Simon and at 3:00 to Schopp and the Bulldog. Those are when I'm driving to work, and driving home. I would love to listen to Murph but I'm home trying to spend time with my family. I wish WGR would move John Murphy to an earlier time. I'm sick about listening to days upon days about hockey and the 5 million games they play. I may be forced to just trying to listen to recordings of the John Murphy Show. I even wish the Bills would post more videos of the practices. 3 minutes just isn't enough. I would even pay to get access to watching practices live or to even watching recordings of them. Well I guess I'm rambling about pretty much everything, but I am 46 years old. I love the Bills. I'm a season ticket holder. I've been to both Dallas Superbowls. I've spent thousands of dollars on Superbowl tickets to watch my beloved Bills get annihilated while listening to heckling and jeering from boastful Dallas fans. My children are barely even interested in the Bills because they've never seen a winning team or the Bills in the playoffs. But I hang on to the past hoping that the Bills will become amazing again in my lifetime.

Edited by sirebors

I tuned into WHAM out of Rochester to get some Bills talk on Bob Matthews. Not my favorite but Dope and Lapdog were talking about anything and everything but the Bills. They've been screaming for Nix to get canned, when he does, they are dumbfounded and desparate for something else to B word about.

I've thought this for a while now - If I were John Murphy, or Schoop and Bulldog, I'd be openly going to this site for a conversation topic daily. That way it would give the fans - the really die-hard fans who use this site and talk Bills all year long - an interactive sort of device for getting their thoughts recognized and spoken about on air.

Think about it - if it were John Murphy or WGR's 3-7 show - whichever thread is the most relevent to the day, and picks up the most steam during the day, gets picked up for the show, and some of our responses get read and discussed! We'd all be a little more thoughtful, I'd guess, on what we contribute, and it'd add a really nice dimension to being a Bills fan this time of year.

I thought I was the only one that noticed this. I'm curious about another station as well. I cannot believe the Bills are so blatantly ignored on a daily basis. The 2 most recent times were when Sheppard was traded and all morning they talked about was hockey. And then the Monday morning after a 3 days Bills rookie camp, I turn on the radio hoping to hear some thoughts or insider information from someone actually attending the practices and once again it's hockey and Tiger freaking Woods and Sergio Garcia. I literally couldn't believe it. I knew immediately that that was what was on the front page of the Buffalo News sports section, because that's what they'll always talk about. I for one could care less about golf or the rest of the Nhl world, especially after the Sabres season is over. I want to hear about the Buffalo Bills. From someone that actually attended the practices. I want to hear about how EJ Manuel looked. Why Da'Rick Rogers was getting no catches. On Kiko Alonso flying around and hitting his teammates. On how easily Goodwin ran past everyone. So then my next alternative is to come on here and I get to read about posters bashing the Bills, or fighting like children amongst themselves, or policing the boards like they own them and no one else is entitled to have an opinion unless they devote the r entire existence to the site and have 5000 posts. I just want to get easy to access, quick information about the team I grew up loving. Some posters are very knowledgeable, and others provide valuable links to other sites that are extremely informative and interesting. I thoroughly enjoy their posts. I listen generally in the morning to Howard Simon and at 3:00 to Schopp and the Bulldog. Those are when I'm driving to work, and driving home. I would love to listen to Murph but I'm home trying to spend time with my family. I wish WGR would move John Murphy to an earlier time. I'm sick about listening to days upon days about hockey and the 5 million games they play. I may be forced to just trying to listen to recordings of the John Murphy Show. I even wish the Bills would post more videos of the practices. 3 minutes just isn't enough. I would even pay to get access to watching practices live or to even watching recordings of them. Well I guess I'm rambling about pretty much everything, but I am 46 years old. I love the Bills. I'm a season ticket holder. I've been to both Dallas Superbowls. I've spent hundreds of dollars on Superbowl tickets to watch my beloved Bills get annihilated while listening to heckling and jeering from boastful Dallas fans. My children are barely even interested in the Bills because they've never seen a winning team or the Bills in the playoffs. But I hang on to the past hoping that the Bills will become amazing again in my lifetime.

Another thing - it could be the new Bills staff is so closed to the media that there'll be a lot less "inside" info going on. Although, in fairness to the subject, I am also of the opinion that the Bills are not discussed enough. I think certain hosts have been doing this for too long and have lost the creative approach to trying to keep the show fresh, have instead fallen victim to the thinking that "there's never anything really worhtwhile to talk about with this team" and have taken on a habitually bored mentality toward the team.

There are, though, some guys like Joe B., for instance, who do the team and covering the team justice.

Good point. All the old standbys, which allowed them to do their shows with the minimum amount of thought required, are now gone.

They are actually going to have to pay attention to the team, go to camp, watch these new players play, etc. They are going to have to deal with Doug Whaley, whom I sincerely doubt is willing to give them a pass for saying stupid things, like Buddy was. Whaley doesn't strike me as petty, but, he does seem like the guy who is going to calmly and cooly return fire on the media if they get out of line. That's basically what he's done so far.

He has?

I think this is a completely illegitimate complaint. There has been plenty of Bills coverage on WGR from 6-10 and from 3-7 beyond the John Murphy show that is exclusively dedicated to the Bills.

Lots of Bills articles from the various personalities on the station:http://www.wgr550.com/Football/8768472

Joe Buscaglia was all over the draft and has provided extensive coverage of rookie camp and OTAs. They even have Paul Hamilton covering the Bills now.There's also lots of Bills related podcasts that can be listened to on demand.

Just this morning Eric Wood was on, Joe B is on now as I type, and Buddy is coming on later this morning.

I'm calling BS on this one.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

They've got Buscaglia on now recapping the OTAs and Buddy Nix is coming up later in the show. There were some major happenings in hockey last night also. Edited by Carey Bender

Do you really want to hear Jeremy "know-it-all" White (who doesn't, BTW) talking Bills football?

Joe B and Murph are the only worthwhile Bills programming on the air. I listen to them "on demand", but listening to the station live is usually a waste.

I think this is a completely illegitimate complaint. There has plenty of Bills coverage on WGR from 6-10 and from 3-7 beyond the John Murphy show that is exclusively dedicated to the Bills.

Lots of Bills articles from the various personalities on the station:http://www.wgr550.com/Football/8768472

Joe Buscaglia was all over the draft and has provided extensive coverage of rookie camp and OTAs. They even have Paul Hamilton covering the Bills now.There's also lots of Bills related podcasts that can be listened to on demand.

Just this morning Eric Wood was on, Joe B is on now as I type, and Buddy is coming on later this morning.

Agree with 98% of this. Dont you always want more Bills talk?

Id like to add Sal and Joe are great parts of GR and like Paul for hockey.

Edited by The Tomcat

I realize many hate GR, and there are legit gripes...but to say they don't talk abou the Bills is absurd. It was pretty much all they talked about yesterday, they are talking about them now... I realize, also, many here only follow the Bills, and not the Sabres..this is a Bills board, afterall. But don't lose sight of the fact that the station does also carry Sabres games, and their coverage is geared toward Buffalo area sports fans...not only Buffalo Bills fans. It seems like there is a lot of bitching about nothing sometimes.

I think this is a completely illegitimate complaint. There has plenty of Bills coverage on WGR from 6-10 and from 3-7 beyond the John Murphy show that is exclusively dedicated to the Bills.

If this was Facebook, I would "like" this post! :thumbsup: