Opinions needed - company relaxed dress code somewhat

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone needs a copy of GQ for his birthday.

There's nothing weird at all about dark socks with jeans -- unless you're wearing sneakers.

Exactly. You can get an expensive pair of casual shoes, and get casual socks by Dockers (brown, black, blue) etc.

Do NOT wear white socks with casual shoes.

I also vote for cowboy boots. I have a a pair of Lucchese's and a pair of Justins and once they're broken in, they're like slippers. And don't cheap out. Good boots are at least $100+, but worth every penny.

No white socks with jeans, even if you're wearing sneakers. Never, ever, ever, ever.

Trust me I know seeing I was just outed in the Jason Collins thread.

So white socks are only OK with athletic apparel?

I would consider that a good rule.

But I wear black athletic socks with sneakers if I'm wearing shorts.

White socks with sneakers...always....what the hell is wrong with you people. Only old people were brown or black dress socks with sneakers.

Brown or black socks with casual shoes and jeans.

You're welcome.

If by old you mean well dressed and fashionable people then I agree with you.

White socks with sneakers...always....what the hell is wrong with you people. Only old people were brown or black dress socks with sneakers.

You're welcome.

How do we differentiate between dress socks and casual socks? Thickness? Design?

How do we differentiate between dress socks and casual socks? Thickness? Design?

I think none of the above. Socks are socks (unless you're wearing white socks) it's the complete outfit that determines formal and casual. I will wear the same style socks with my suit and tie during the week that I wear with jeans on the weekend.

BTW we used to make fun of the kids wearing white socks to school 40 years ago. Only farmers did that. We used to yell "white socks.....mock out!!"

Edited by Chef Jim

Colored socks with jeans is just fine. White socks are barely acceptable in any situation (although Im wearing them now myself).

I think none of the above. Socks are socks (unless you're wearing white socks) it's the complete outfit that determines formal and casual. I will wear the same style socks with my suit and tie during the week that I wear with jeans on the weekend.

BTW we used to make fun of the kids wearing white socks to school 40 years ago. Only farmers did that. We used to yell "white socks.....mock out!!"

Agreed!

You're welcome.

Actually, if you're going young and hip, then the current trend is NO socks with sneakers or dress shoes. Especially dress shoes...

tommyton-men-no-socks-shoes-2.jpg

I don't even own white socks. If I'm wearing "athletic" shoes, I wear nike black no-show socks. I will wear athletic shoes with jeans and aforementioned socks. However, for work when I wear jeans, I wear brown Bass lace up shoes (almost have a boot look, but low cut) with dark socks.

I wear two socks at all times. Usually a pair of under armour and a pair of white cotton. I'm on my feet a lot. It helps. I do wear jeans with dress shoes or formal shoes but not with white socks. Black socks make your feet stink and dress socks don't comfort your feet enough.

Then again, I wear flip flops or boots 90% of the time and all but 5 people who know me have seen me wearing anything else but brown dickies work pants