Bills compared to how the Steelers were built

In this article on the young QBs in the AFC East, there's this interesting quote from an NFL scout on Manuel, and the Bills in General:

He can compete from Day 1, and I think he’s a possibility to be a Day 1 starter. I wouldn’t be surprised at all. But they got good competition in that way. So if he’s not ready, that’s fine. They’re in a good position where they can develop him. If you look at Buffalo, they’re making their team in the mold of the [Pittsburgh] Steelers. They have running backs, a 3-4 defense and now they have their big quarterback. I like what they’re building."

Can add young coach & staff to that also.

So what do you think? Can Bills 2014 = Steelers 2004? Maybe Whaley is finishing the job Donahoe started.

In this article on the young QBs in the AFC East, there's this interesting quote from an NFL scout on Manuel, and the Bills in General:

So what do you think? Can Bills 2014 = Steelers 2004? Maybe Whaley is finishing the job Donahoe started.

I think Nix is finishing the job he tried with the 1st staff. Remember he wanted the 3-4 and mentioned such to Chan. Also, he mentioned mid-season and then after the draft he wanted to build a line and some of the defense before getting a QB and "ruining him".

Same thing happened in San Diego with their turnover roster wise. So between the two of them Nix can give Whaley a better roster as GM (eventually) than Nix himself had going in.

I don't know about this version of the Steelers but I would not br surprised if EJ was not Bradshaw like in that it took him a while to reach his full effectiveness. He is going to make plenty of mistakes the question will be: Can he learn?

I know right after the draft, every prospect looks like a future Pro Bowler. But before we start talking playoffs or comparing ourselves to the Steelers - Nix has to start actually HITTING on his picks.

In case anyone forgot, our 2010 was a complete disaster. Spiller is the only starter from that entire group. Carrington has been a good backup. But that's it.

And 2011 is right on its heels... Despite the glowing reviews on that class, we've had very disappointing results so far. Dareus followed a good rookie season with a very disappointing sophomore campaign. Aaron Williams was so bad, he's switching positions. Kelvin Sheppard got traded for another team's major bust. Chris Hairston is buried on the depth chart.

pretty much until the Bills have an iota of the kind of success the steelers have had this decade it's beyond ridiculous.

I think the comparison is to HOW the Steelers got good, NOT that the Bills compare to the present Steelers. :doh:

PTR

And 2011 is right on its heels... Despite the glowing reviews on that class, we've had very disappointing results so far. Aaron Williams was so bad, he's switching positions.

At the time of the 2011 draft, Aaron Williams was seen as a Safety by 31 of the 32 teams. It just took our front office 2 years to figure out that he was miscast as a CB.

At the time of the 2011 draft, Aaron Williams was seen as a Safety by 31 of the 32 teams. It just took our front office 2 years to figure out that he was miscast as a CB.

I guess that means Glenn will become a guard in 1 year since all of the other teams saw him as a guard.

James Walker, like Damond Talbot, is a blogger. They write blogs, not articles.

That's just not true.

I know right after the draft, every prospect looks like a future Pro Bowler. But before we start talking playoffs or comparing ourselves to the Steelers - Nix has to start actually HITTING on his picks.

In case anyone forgot, our 2010 was a complete disaster. Spiller is the only starter from that entire group. Carrington has been a good backup. But that's it.

And 2011 is right on its heels... Despite the glowing reviews on that class, we've had very disappointing results so far. Dareus followed a good rookie season with a very disappointing sophomore campaign. Aaron Williams was so bad, he's switching positions. Kelvin Sheppard got traded for another team's major bust. Chris Hairston is buried on the depth chart.

I agree with this, but no one wants to hear it around here. Since he got here, Nix has talked about how simple it all is, yet he has done nothing but make mistakes. His skill is supposed to be scouting yet his drafts have been complete disasters... It's depressing. I am optimistic about EJ but given who selected him, you have to wonder. Hopefully he turns out as well as the Spiller pick.

I agree with this, but no one wants to hear it around here. Since he got here, Nix has talked about how simple it all is, yet he has done nothing but make mistakes. His skill is supposed to be scouting yet his drafts have been complete disasters... It's depressing. I am optimistic about EJ but given who selected him, you have to wonder. Hopefully he turns out as well as the Spiller pick.

I think people are overly critical of Nix. His two big mistakes have been missing on the coaching staff and not selecting Kaepernick, Cousins, or Wilson - but, otherwise I think he's definitely upgraded this roster. People can look at it lots of ways - but, IF Manuel turns out to be a good pick, a good QB, and Pettine turns this defense around - Nix is going to be seen as a good GM who turned Buffalo around. IF Manuel is no good, Nix's job is going to be seen as failing.

However, one of the biggest elements to good drafting is drafting for a team identity. The H.C., D.C., and O.C. must tell the GM what types of players they need. This draft - which most of us think looks great - is a good example of that. It's a lot easier to find players throughout a draft if the GM knows what type of player to look for. With Gailey and Wannstedt the teams were flip flopping, inept, and both coaches were in over their heads.

I'll say it again - this team has more talent now than it did when Nix took over. If the Bills come out playing good this year, and if Manuel plays good, Nix's legacy will be cemented as a GOOD GM; actually, as the best GM Buffalo has had since Butler.

I think Nix is finishing the job he tried with the 1st staff. Remember he wanted the 3-4 and mentioned such to Chan. Also, he mentioned mid-season and then after the draft he wanted to build a line and some of the defense before getting a QB and "ruining him".

Same thing happened in San Diego with their turnover roster wise. So between the two of them Nix can give Whaley a better roster as GM (eventually) than Nix himself had going in.

EXACTLY! The Chargers didn't start winning until year 4 with Nix in the fold. They plugged in some lineman, LB's and DB's, all along while acquiring their QB and RB's (Brees, Tomlinson, Turner). The guys he drafted, or had a hand indrafting, turned into annual pro bowl selections...to the tune of 28 guys from '04-'08.

For all the Nix haters, let history dictate your condemnation...This is a pivotal year.