Current NBA player comes out...Jason Collins

Buftex

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not care any less about this story.

Boston bombings fading into memory now. News, websites need something to get viewers, clicks. Never seen so much commotion over so little.

Boston bombings fading into memory now. News, websites need something to get viewers, clicks. Never seen so much commotion over so little.

Yeah I'm not getting it either. People have been admitting they're gay for decades why is this guy considered brave? Even heard him referred to as a hero on the radio last night. Oh come on. :doh:

Frankly I'll be glad when it passes just so everyone can stop patting themselves on the back for acknowledging that a mediocre basketball players is gay. Jerry Sullivan tweeted a link to a list of all the people in the world who tweeted support for Collins, and I'm thinking "Slow news day, Jere?"

Yeah I'm not getting it either. People have been admitting they're gay for decades why is this guy considered brave? Even heard him referred to as a hero on the radio last night. Oh come on. :doh:

My idea of a hero has always been someone who puts themselves in danger to help someone else. ie soldier, fireman etc. The standards of bravery seem to have been lowered somewhat. Admitting you **** **** seems not to fit the criteria in my mind. Just me possibly. I'm just another angry white male.

Edited by Dante

It really has become trite at this point. Perversely if there's anyone who was "brave" here in the sense of exposing himself to backlash and ridicule its Wallace for acknowledging he can't relate to not being attracted to beautiful women

Is your avatar Troy Palomalu before steroids?

My idea of a hero has always been someone who puts themselves in danger to help someone else. ie soldier, fireman etc. The standards of bravery seem to have been lowered somewhat. Admitting you **** **** seems not to fit the criteria in my mind. Just me possibly. I'm just another angry white male.

Well, nobody every accused you of being a deep thinker.

It really has become trite at this point. Perversely if there's anyone who was "brave" here in the sense of exposing himself to backlash and ridicule its Wallace for acknowledging he can't relate to not being attracted to beautiful women

Interesting forms of backlash and ridicule he's been subject to the past couple of days.

Well, nobody every accused you of being a deep thinker.

Hey, I allocate my intellectual resources to what requires them. This one doesn't demand much. It's just kinda silly at this point

I'll be impressed when someone comes out and the country collectively says "Yeah...you know what? It's not a big deal. We don't really care anymore."

I'm already saying that. But ABC World News Monday night had it as their lead story. So it'll be a while.

I'm already saying that. But ABC World News Monday night had it as their lead story. So it'll be a while.

Yup. Sad realization. Happy he did it. Dismayed that it is headline news. Baby steps, I guess.

Hey, I allocate my intellectual resources to what requires them. This one doesn't demand much. It's just kinda silly at this point

Yeah, I understand, when intellectual resources are so limited, it is good to save them up... :rolleyes:

But, by all means, type idiotic things as much as you can, just to keep the machinery working.

Yup. Sad realization. Happy he did it. Dismayed that it is headline news. Baby steps, I guess.

Yup...just look at this thread... be dismayed, but so many of the luminaries here who claim they don't give a **** seem to actually give a ****.

Edited by Buftex

Possibly health care for a partner/spouse.

And I know you have discounted this and I know its not a right, but his ability to live his life on a socially equal level as heterosexual... And yes that includes not being heckled for being gay.

And not to speak for the mods but your'tone' could be viewed as trying to bait responders in such a way as to quickly take thread to PPP.

Fair enough...but by coming out how did Collins advance the "cause" of allowing equal benefits for gay couples (something I support)?

And every athelete is heckled for things. Every single one. For everything under the sun, some things personal and private and that are every bit on par wth a person's sexuality. But somehow when it happens to gay atheletes its "bad" and they should be exempt from being subject to such behavior? Mind you Im talking about the typical level of fan-based commentary that athletes endure.

Nonsense.

If anything, getting the same treatment from fans that other players get (and his ability to handle it) shows he is living his live on a socially equal level.

Edited by RkFast

Fair enough...but by coming out how did Collins advance the "cause" of allowing equal benefits for gay couples (something I support)?

And every athelete is heckled for things. Every single one. For everything under the sun, some things personal and private and that are every bit on par wth a person's sexuality. But somehow when it happens to gay atheletes its "bad" and they should be exempt from being subject to such behavior? Mind you Im talking about the typical level of fan-based commentary that athletes endure.

Nonsense.

If anything, getting the same treatment from fans that other players get (and his ability to handle it) shows he is living his live on a socially equal level.

Random thoughts:

RK I see your point, and mostly agree. But most athletes are heckled for under-performance, or, possibly some off the field transgression..not for simply existing. On the occasion where heckling goes over the line (I can't recall, but I seem to remember some rather tacky/tasteless heckling being flung at a college basketball coach, for something to do with his wife), there is usually some sort of "calling out" or "shaming" of it by somebody. What I witnessed (granted 20 years ago or so) with Martina Navritilova I think would embarass anyone today...but it didn't seem to bother anyone back then...or at least anyone with any sort of voice. This was about 6 or 7 years after Navritolova had "come out". People yelling things like "Man against woman", or "Martina we can see your bulge".

The local morning yokels here (Texas) are taking the angle that Collins is a "scumbag" because he led a woman on for 7 years, that he was straight...the one guy is a former college running back (short stint with the NY Giants) from Boston College, and was also a RB coach with the Longhorns during the Ricky Williams era...he seems to be the most offended by this whole thing...funny thing is, after listening to him for about 15 minutes almost every morning, for years, I have always had my suspicions that he isn't what he portrays himself to be.

On the flip side of the coin, I also see, today, where ESPN apologized for Chris Broussards comments...which I think is absolutely ludicrous.They employ Chris Broussard to be Chris Broussard. The nature of about 66% of ESPN's programming seems to be to argue, have strong opinons...but don't come down on the "wrong side" of the argument. I am sure Broussard will be suspended (if he hasn't been already) or fired. If we need to make room for homosexulity in our society, than we need to make room for people with opposing views as well.

Yeah, I understand, when intellectual resources are so limited, it is good to save them up... :rolleyes:

But, by all means, type idiotic things as much as you can, just to keep the machinery working.

Yup...just look at this thread... be dismayed, but so many of the luminaries here who claim they don't give a **** seem to actually give a ****.

I'm not sure if I'm one of the so called luminaries but I don't give a **** about someone coming out. What's the big deal? Maybe it's because I've lived in and near gay communities for 30 + years that when someone says they're gay it is......(ok, can I put in an order for a yawning smilie?). Is it a big deal because he's an athlete? I don't know, I have not understood the media for a long time. Someone telling me they're gay is like someone telling me their a democrat. Well that's a bad example, if someone tells me they're gay I would never hold that against them, but I think you get my drift. So for me I don't give a **** about him coming out, I give a **** as to why it's such a big deal.