QB competition

Every situation is different.

There are a multitude of factors which will determine if EJ will be a precocious rookie starter or not.

There are precedents for every scenario of this discussion.

Obviously we'll know more as the OTAs and minicamps come and go and we start hearing how the QBs are acclimating.

But my point is, I wouldn't rule out EJ starting from day one nor would I assume that doing so would be a bad thing for his development.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wonder about the kolb signing now that we know more about the offense they want to run and kniwing they stood a good chance getting there guy ej. Seems clear now they want an uptempo offense built on team speed at all the talent positions. Ej fits the bill, and tj does a lot better than kolb, the latter being of only average mobility and the main criticism for holding onto the ball too ball. Kolbs arm while not weak, is weakest of the 3. I wonder if kolb was still available today they make the same play for him.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I think:

1. Kolb

2. TJax

3. EJ

I think Kolb will win the starting job in training camp. However, given his history of injury, they'll keep TJax as an experienced backup. Plus, it will be good to have two vets with starting experience in the NFL mentoring EJ.

EJ will move up to #2 before the end of the season.

With the drafting of EJ Manuel, I don't see anyone asking the obvious question of which veteran quarterback should actually start for the Bills this next season. While it's very much assumed that Kolb would be the starter because he was acquired, why not Tarvaris Jackson? Can we not assume that the drafting of Manuel was because of his athleticism and ability to not only make the passes, but also make plays with his feet? If you can come to that conclusion (which I think anyone with a little logic would), isn't Jackson better suited to run any offense that Marrone comes up with to maximize EJ's capabilities? Does this not also beg the question of whether the bills simply picked up Kolb in the event that their guy wasn't there and they instead had to settle for a Nassib or Barkley? What about the possibility that if Manuel weren't there that they were really looking at a later round QB? At the end of the draft, every team in the NFL wants to say it worked out exactly as they had planned. I don't think anyone would really dispute that. However, in this case, might there be a suggestion that Kolb was the backup plan all along as well?

I really like this draft from top to bottom. I can't say I have a problem with any pick or couldn't see the logic in it. However, in looking at going forward, Kolb seems to be the odd man out right out of the gates. The only way he doesn't is if you assume that Manuel is going to be groomed to be a pocket passer. I don't see that at all. I would be interested in some serious thought/input on this topic. Didn't find another thread comparable, so started this one.

I think all 3 will compete in camp... at this point Kolb is ahead of the others in experience and I think has a good chance to start the season at #1. But, I feel like he'll get hurt (not confident in our OL at all) and EJ will come in and start the rest of the way with Jackson as his back-up. I do agree that Kolb doesn't necessarily fit Marrone's offense, but he has Naasib in college and Kolb seems to be a bit like him so there is versatility there.

New system, the QBs are all equal. Not sure we don't get EJ for game one. Might as well. The O Line is as solid as it will be for the next few years, so let the kid work behind it before it falls apart in free agency, starting with the assumed departure of Eric Wood next year.

I haven't heard any coach or player say that Kolb has performed better in practice so far than Jackson. I agree that having Kolb on the roster is a similar skill set to what Nassib brings. The EJ Manuel pick does make a lot of sense since he brings a bigger arm and faster legs to the table!

Problem with TJax is accuracy. Never been a high percentage passer. He's stopgap at best (in my opinion), otherwise they wouldn't have signed him for just one year.

If they like the way Tuel or Corp play at camp, I could see one of those two holding the clipboard as the #3 this season (behind EJ3 and Kolb).

Whoever wins the competition between those two starts; not EJ. I don't want to see him thrown into the fire right away. I'd like to see Kolb as the starter, then use EJ in short yardage situations with the read option. I think that would be a good way to break him in.

New system, the QBs are all equal. Not sure we don't get EJ for game one. Might as well. The O Line is as solid as it will be for the next few years, so let the kid work behind it before it falls apart in free agency, starting with the assumed departure of Eric Wood next year.

I agree with you that if EJ is the QB of the future, go ahead and let him play right away if he is even close to ready. It's not like we are "super close" and it is a huge deal like it was in SF last year and they went with Kap anyway.

I wouldn't concur with this statement at all. A QB that's proven to be less accurate (Jackson) isn't suddenly equal to the guy that's more accurate (Kolb). Also, a guy that runs like he's in quicksand (Kolb) suddenly doesn't have the skill set of a natural scrambler (Jackson). That's my point. To emphasize that point, tell me that if you put Tom Brady and Michael Vick in a run-option offense that they start off equal. They clearly don't. Regardless, training camp and the preseason will prove itself to be interesting.

Why not Jackson?? It's because Kolb is a much better passer. If the Bills can protect him (and that will have as much to do with their offensive philosophy as it will the O-line) Kolb is capable of being a top 10 QB.

I would love for Manuel to be the starter from Day 1, but he just may not be ready for that. We will see. I don't think we want to throw him to the wolves. it won't hurt him to sit behind Kolb andj watch how a veteran NFL QB handles himself. Kolb could be aour biggest impact player this year.

i predict the QB depth chart will read: 1. Kolb, 2. Manuel, 3. Jackson with Tuel as the PS QB.

I don't know why you say our line is incompetent. the only loss we suffered was Levitre. Although a significant one, I hear that they are very high on Sanders replacing that spot and they're confident he can hold his own hence the reason why we didnt' target a Guard in the draft. With that aside our line was top ten last year in Sacks allowed. I have faith that they know what they're doing, they'll start kolb for 3-5 games to let EJ soak in the books and I think Kolb starts. We need to know what we have with him. His two teams had the worst lines in the NFL so they really don't know what he'll be able to do with protection. I am not one that agrees with starting EJ right away. Not good for QB confidence if he is thrown into the fire and bites the big one if he really wasn't ready to start right away. If he's that smart that he can have the playbook memorized by start of September then yeah go ahead but it seems like they are going to run a pretty complex playbook once they get him at the rains. Jackson is toast . I didn't like the signing when we did get him.

Fairly easy in my book, the one playing the best should get the start unless there is a tie including EJ in which case EJ should get the benefit of the doubt. Other then that the coaches really do have to do away with politics surrounding draft investment, play the best man earns trust, motivation and competition throughout all the players which leads to a better team. The same goes for the WR's if say Woods gets outplayed by the other WR's, just cut him allready, keep the best.

Edited by bladiebla