So is Buddy done after the draft?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and birdog want to talk about the MERITS of Buddy's tenure and whether he should be gone. That's fine, but I took this thread to be about the TIMING of Buddy's departure. My point is, I see no public signs of Buddy being forced out. In fact I recall Russ' comments about Buddy on the day he took the reigns from Ralph. Russ was positively glowing about Buddy.

This being a very visible position (certainly this time of year) no NFL personnel guy wants to talk about their departure. It would be a distraction.

But it's reasonable to suspect that Nix will depart despite there being no official or unofficial statement. Marrone was hired more by consensus as opposed to Gailey. And while we can disagree, this year's picks don't follow an established trend from 2010-12. Moreover, Whaley's promotion and aversion to interviewing for GM jobs probably means Nix ain't hanging around to see the result of the 2013 draft class.

From today's Buffalo News draft chat:

12:21

Comment From Rich B how many more losing seasons before nix gets axed? its a fair assumption that bills wont make the playoffs next year.

12:22 phpOgYcGISkurskihedshot.jpg

Jay Skurski: Nix might not be the GM in a few days. I expect the transition to Whaley to happen sometime soon.

PTR

Besides Spiller Buddy's first draft was awful....I think that draft rubbed. Lot of ppl including me the wrong way

Spiller was a bad pick as well, a luxury pick when we had other RBs and pressing needs on the lines. I don't care how good he might be, it was the wrong position pick at the time.

Spiller was a bad pick as well, a luxury pick when we had other RBs and pressing needs on the lines. I don't care how good he might be, it was the wrong position pick at the time.

Gotcha. How is this team ever going to get good if we keep drafting players like CJ Spiller?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Gotcha. How is this team ever going to get good if we keep drafting players like CJ Spiller?

PTR

I was thinking the same thing when I saw him featured as the team's top player / face of the organization on the Bills season tix TV ad...

Zero of his picks or signings have really worked out. The best is CJ, and he was a luxury pick, and isn't an every down back. I don't see how hes still employed.

OMG...how can anyone say CJ is not an every down back? Man, one of the most ridiculous things I have seen by some people...I mean ridiculous

PTR

Has it been good since he was drafted? How many playoffs or winning seasons has he contributed to? They had needs on both lines, and passed on linemen like Anthony Davis and Jason Pierre Paul, who both have been impact players for their playoff teams. Gotcha indeed.

That kind of picking shiny toys mentality like CJ and Roscoe are why they have been perennial losers.

Ok, this just has to be addressed. You need to realize that the GM does not just sit back and trump everyone and take the guys he wants. Case in point...CJ Spiller. Our brand new HC Gailey wanted a "scat back" and wanted Spiller. The GM and scouts go out and evaluate the players the COACHING staff want to target for THEIR system. I am so tired of all the Nix did this or that stuff. Anyone who thinks that is the case has no understanding what so ever of the draft process (well outside Dallas and Oakland where the owner listens to no one, trumps them all, and does what they want).

The whole regime made those decisions. GM's get way more credit than they deserve when draft picks work out, and way more blame when they don't.

You want further proof? Look at this draft, NO WAY last year we would take guys like Kiko and Duke who had the off field questions. Gailey wanted high character, high motor guys. This draft this regime went after PETTINE type guys...F the high motor, they went with aggression, speed, and intensity in Duke and Kiko.

Again, all of you saying Nix did this and that are so way off base and dont even know it. Blame the lame duck coaching staff of Gailey and DJ in prior years. Now you want to blame Nix for hiring that staff, totally FAIR game and JUSTIFIED.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Nix gets the blame because he didn't lose his job along with the coaches who did. GMs trump coaches when it comes to picking players. Just like Darcy Regier is to blame for the Sabres woes.

GM's take players to fit the coaches wants and schemes. They may have final call, but they rarely over rule the coaches. You guys act like its a tug of war in there and the GM just says F it and take the guy he wants. They meet with the staff and identify players that staff wants or types of players they want. Its not a dictatorship in there, this isnt North Korea, the Raiders, or the Dallas Cowboys.

Gms pick the coaches. If they pick the coach's preferences, and the coach and players don't succeed, it ultimately is the GM's fault. So the GM should get fired with the coach. Unfortunately you can't fire the owner who picked the GM.

It's the GM's job to manage the entire organization towards being successful. That means having a plan and hiring the best people to implement that plan. If the GM's plan is to make everything green and he hires a coach that can only color in red and scouts that can only scout blue players, then there is essentially no chance of the green plan being successful.