Brad Smith Speculation

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you have mentioned before this as well, but it bears repeating: Chan did not get the best out of Brad Smith.

Just like a RB or traditional WR, the more you get the ball in their hands, the better they'll be. Every player gets better as the game goes on once he gets in a rhythm. Chan never allowed BS to get in a rhythm. His touches were too few and far between, IMO.

Borderline criminal re: the misuse, rivaling the training wheels on CJ. CJ has the All-Pro talent to overome the shoddy coaching (not to mention more touches), and while BS might not be an All Pro, I think he is much better than the Bills have allowed him to be thus far.

To me, it was because Chan was so old school he was only willing to do one thing at a time. Two straight years we had a string of injuries to WR so Chan put Smith there, and had him practice only as a WR, and scrapped all his plans for the Wildcat and for getting Smith the ball because he wouldn't do both at the same time, and I think that was a monumental mistake. He should have just let him do both.

There are plenty of other threads on brad smith. It would be stupid to get rid of the guy just because you feel like he is overpaid. Stop being a dumdum

But what about the analytics?

I believe you have mentioned before this as well, but it bears repeating: Chan did not get the best out of Brad Smith.

Just like a RB or traditional WR, the more you get the ball in their hands, the better they'll be. Every player gets better as the game goes on once he gets in a rhythm. Chan never allowed BS to get in a rhythm. His touches were too few and far between, IMO.

Borderline criminal re: the misuse, rivaling the training wheels on CJ. CJ has the All-Pro talent to overome the shoddy coaching (not to mention more touches), and while BS might not be an All Pro, I think he is much better than the Bills have allowed him to be thus far.

Plus he sat him in the qb room primarily... Despite, you know, expecting him to get the ball in space, and maybe throw 5-10 passes a year at most.

It'd be like putting spiller there because there's a hb option pass that might get called twice a year, instead of practicing and watching film with the rbs

To me, it was because Chan was so old school he was only willing to do one thing at a time. Two straight years we had a string of injuries to WR so Chan put Smith there, and had him practice only as a WR, and scrapped all his plans for the Wildcat and for getting Smith the ball because he wouldn't do both at the same time, and I think that was a monumental mistake. He should have just let him do both.

Until someone confirms there was a full passing attack out of the wildcat, and we planned on him lining up behind center 10 times a game- I refuse to believe he belonged in the qb room.

Edited by NoSaint

Plus he sat him in the qb room primarily... Despite, you know, expecting him to get the ball in space, and maybe throw 5-10 passes a year at most.

It'd be like putting spiller there because there's a hb option pass that might get called twice a year, instead of practicing and watching film with the rbs

Until someone confirms there was a full passing attack out of the wildcat, and we planned on him lining up behind center 10 times a game- I refuse to believe he belonged in the qb room.

I think that is exactly what they wanted him to do.

Only reason he was still here last year was bc he could act as the emergency QB enabling Chan to only carry two QBs

Ridiculously over paid so no reason why he shouldn't be cut

Edited by Max997

I think that is exactly what they wanted him to do.

Did it ever work into camp that heavily though? I've heard comments that lend themselves to it but never saw any commitment to it besides listing him a qb on paper and letting him sit with them. Did they practice it heavily? It never showed in any games, I never read about it showing heavy in practice (ie to account for 10-20% of our planned offense).... Did a full playbook for it exist?

I got the impression they made him promises courting him and had big ideas but never knew how to execute them so it became a man without a role. Practicing one job because that's what it was supposed to be, playing a totally different one because that was reality and therefore underachieving at both.

Only reason he was still here last year was bc he could act as the emergency QB enabling Chan to only carry two QBs

Ridiculously over paid so no reason why he shouldn't be cut

100% disagree. If two qbs were knocked out in one game A) we lost already B) nothing brad was doing couldn't have been done with Freddy taking direct snaps and running. Even without brad, I think we only dress 2 qbs last year.

Did it ever work into camp that heavily though? I've heard comments that lend themselves to it but never saw any commitment to it besides listing him a qb on paper and letting him sit with them. Did they practice it heavily? It never showed in any games, I never read about it showing heavy in practice (ie to account for 10-20% of our planned offense).... Did a full playbook for it exist?

I got the impression they made him promises courting him and had big ideas but never knew how to execute them so it became a man without a role. Practicing one job because that's what it was supposed to be, playing a totally different one because that was reality and therefore underachieving at both.

I think the plan was to use the Wildcat for those 10 or so plays a game. Lee and Chan both said they wanted to see what passes and pass plays Smith was best at and then put together packages of plays for him to run. They would start out running it most of the time and then start passing out of it. But in the first game, Fred got hurt and David Nelson was out for the season, and most of their offense was thrown out of whack.

They hold onto Smith. He has that mobility....he isnt bad as a receiver. As far as i know his contract doesnt have any guarentees in it.......so he could get cut during camp.

Could he get cut---sure. Lets see how he is in camp/preseasons plus how the rookies fare. There is also the risk of injury.

I see 4 WRs are safe on the roster (assuming no injuries) Stevie, TJ, plus their 2 WR picks. This means 2-3 jobs are going to be available. One of these jobs has a special teams piece, and the other job would be one for the hybrid player of the WR/TE/FB role.

Edited by djp14150

disagree. Brad Smith will still return kicks and be the 4th wr.

You don't pay 15M to be your 4th WR.

I think the plan was to use the Wildcat for those 10 or so plays a game. Lee and Chan both said they wanted to see what passes and pass plays Smith was best at and then put together packages of plays for him to run. They would start out running it most of the time and then start passing out of it. But in the first game, Fred got hurt and David Nelson was out for the season, and most of their offense was thrown out of whack.

And they wouldn't/couldn't adjust!!!!

I still can't understand why he made the final roster last year. Yeah, the guy can do a lot of different things, but he doesn't do any of them well. C-YA Brad Smith....thanks for the memories :cry:

Pretty much every Current Bills player has gotten a free pass on this board because of "bad coaching." Why not have that apply to Smith?

I have no idea why they keep him...

worst QB on team

worst WR on team

worst RB on team

worst KR on team

he's going to get cut....soon....CAP SAVINGS $2,750,000

7/28/2011: Signed a four-year, $15 million contract. The deal included a $2 million signing bonus. 2013: $2.75 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2014: $3 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent

Base Salary: $2,750,000

Prorated signing bonus : $500,000

Roster Bonus: $500,000

Cap Number: $3,750,000

Dead Money: $1,000,000

Cap Savings: $2,750,000

And they wouldn't/couldn't adjust!!!!

I think he sees snaps in the backfield too potentially. He might be a 3rd WR, 3rd RB, and KR type role still with Goodwin getting a slower transition as a project type guy in packages.

Doubt it. He's the veteran presence in the WR group not to mention his value to the team by saving roster spots as a swiss army knife. Emergency QB, #4/5 WR, KR, ST gunner, etc.

Not sure. If they are blowing it up to the degree they appear to be, no one from the Gailey era is safe no matter their status. I could see guys like Smith and Easley and TJax , Scott, etc all getting cut.. When you are starting over, which they are, no one from the prior regime is at all safe.

I think as of right now, he stays on the roster. Now if the bills draft denard robinson sometime today... then smith is probably gone.

Using the 15m number is quite an exaggeration. It isn't like he is making 15m a year. making just under 3 mill this year is hardly a thing worth complaining about.

he's going to get cut....soon....CAP SAVINGS $2,750,000

7/28/2011: Signed a four-year, $15 million contract. The deal included a $2 million signing bonus. 2013: $2.75 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2014: $3 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent

Base Salary: $2,750,000

Prorated signing bonus : $500,000

Roster Bonus: $500,000

Cap Number: $3,750,000

Dead Money: $1,000,000

Cap Savings: $2,750,000

all 3 Rookies will make team before brad smith:

Robert Woods

Marquise Goodwin

Da'Rick Rogers

Stevie Johnson

T. J. Graham