Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

I admit I did not know as much about him as i should form an opinion prior to the draft, so wasnt hoping to draft him and really wanted Eifert there. However, since reading and watching as much as could on this kid last couple of hours, I have to say i am really excited about his upside. My first thought was we could have gotten him in the 2nd, but a couple hardcore Eagles fans I know said that Chip Kelly was in love with him and that the Eagles were targeting him as well as another team.

So, if they wanted him, guess they had to go with him at 16, so kudos for getting more picks and the guy they wanted. Everything he has said has been great too.

FYI: He is Bruce Smiths godson, has almost completed his masters, and really wanted to be a Buffalo Bill. Liking this more and more

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ was my favorite QB in this class by far.

To trade down and pick up two extra picks and get EJ exceeds my expectations for the first round.

I'm very happy right now.

I did not know enough about him to be excited before the draft, mainly cuz I didnt really think we would take him at 8 so focused on Nassib, Barkley and Geno. But once we drafted him and I started reading everything and watching videos, I have to say I can see why you thought that. I am really really excited about this kid who seems like a great kid to boot

How is this only a 2 page thread?

Really like the way the Bills handled the 1st round, and am happy with the Manuel pick. Smith was my favorite QB, but EJ was my very close 2nd. If they experts like EJ more, so be it. I'm just happy they had their pick of all the QBs and got their guy. Well done.

ESPN Sports Science:

Manuel was the most accurate short passer under 15 yards, completing 90% of his passes,fastest release of any QB in this class at .333 seconds, broke an all time record by hitting 9 straight 20 yard passes with 2 defenders rushing him(Kaepernick hit 8 in a row), rated overall at an 89.4 on the 20 tests, placing him directly between Ben Roethlesberger(92.3) and Andy Dalton(88.1). If this is where his ability truly lies, I think Bills fans will be very happy with this pick...

Also was pointed out that for all the concerns about his accuracy, Manuel's completion percentage last year on passes that traveled more than 10 yards was only 2 percentage points lower than Andrew Luck's...

http://espn.go.com/v...id=espn:9129589

Edited by matter2003

Damn, that pick seemed to bring the Wall to its knees. :)

It sure did. Like the pick and the Bills got those extra pics in the process. Looking forward to tomorrow....have to get a WR.

Edited by DerekJ

Server crashed for several hours.

As I told mrags, it was like celebrating Christmas in solitary confinement.

Ah-ha, I noticed I couldnt get on the board but figured it was just busy, not dead. Probably for the best to just shut it down during the draft when people are at their most emotional. :thumbsup:

I wanted us to take Barkley, but EJ was my second rated QB. His inconsistency scares me, but it's clear Nix didn't want to miss out on the next "raw but physically gifted qb".

What stick out to me are the YPA, arm strength, and WINS. What scares me is the accuracy at times, and panicky forced throws or bad check downs. That being said, he seems entirely coachable from an attitude standpoint.

I think the biggest thing will be: at FSU they ran an offense where he was not supposed to step up in the pocket. If he can pick this up quickly (stepping up), it may unlock his potential by fixing his pocket presence. If not, well, we're the Bills of late.

Edited by NickelCity

How is this only a 2 page thread?

Really like the way the Bills handled the 1st round, and am happy with the Manuel pick. Smith was my favorite QB, but EJ was my very close 2nd. If they experts like EJ more, so be it. I'm just happy they had their pick of all the QBs and got their guy. Well done.

Because site was down for everyone until about 5 or 10 min ago

I liked the trade but was less than excited with the pick at first. I'd been hearing that Manuel possessed a ton of upside but had accuracy problems. Well, you can teach footwork. You might be able to teach a QB how to read defenses. But you can't teach accuracy. I really don't care how strong a QB's arm might be if he can't deliver the ball to the intended receiver.

But I found this article that appeared in the Bleacher Report. Ok, not the best source, but four QB tutors got together and rated the top QB prospects in the draft. Overall, Manuel had the best score. There's some bias because one of the tutors worked with Manuel. Still, 3 of the 4 agreed that Manuel was the best of this year's group.

I'm starting to get excited about this pick. Manuel seems like a really good kid and an enthusiastic student of the game. And Matter's observation about his accuracy is a good one.

P.S. Congrats to the guys who predicted (1) the Bills will trade down and (2) draft Manuel.

http://mastrolepassi...fl-draft-class/

1. E.J. Manuel: Florida State

hi-res-159067709_display_image.jpg?1365774857 E.J. Manuel takes the top spot, mainly due to his combination of arm talent and athletic ability. Chris Trotman/Getty Images

Height: 6-4 3/4

Weight: 237 lbs.

40-Yard Dash: 4.59

2012: 3,392 Passing Yards, 23 Passing Touchdowns, 10 Interceptions, 68.0 Completion Percentage, 8.8 Yards Per Attempt, 310 Rushing Yards, 4 Rushing Touchdowns

Edited by Beerball

EJ was the guy I was the most impressed with. I normally don't care what the "experts" say, but their negativity is kind of pissing me off.

I do know this. The Bills did their homework and they got their pick of the litter. They got their guy. Hopefully, it really was a joint decision, not just the Nix show.

Also, if these other guys were so much better, they wouldn't still be available

I preferred Geno or Nassib, but since we made the pick I've been reviewing some videos again on EJ and watching the Gruden piece. There really isn't much to not like here. I'm loving the Kolb signing even more, cause I think EJ will benefit from not needing to endure trial by fire. He'll see the field early and often for sure, but he won't need to take the team on his shoulders right away.

Great job getting the extra picks...all in all, this draft is starting off well for us.

Edited by ajzepp