Who will be this year's DRAFT SLIDERS AND BUSTS???

Going out on a limb, I'll say Joeckel because he's probably the #1 pick.

He won't bust fantabulously but he won't be mistaken for the second coming of Munoz or Boselli protecting a non-scrambling quarterback in Smith (if Chiefs indeed pick Joeckel.)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DT is a weird position. So many DTs are hyped up and grabbed high in the draft almost every year-- and yet so many if them bust out.

I recall that draft year with Ryan Simms (who I think was the 1st of a bunch of DTs taken)-- I think a lot of those guys busted.

I don't have the data to back it up but my impression also is that DT/NTs seem to bust at quite a high rate.

This is about 5 days premature isn't it?

Any "bust" predicted by us amateurs might not even be selected high in the draft.

It's still an interesting discussion when a player projected to go high slides down in the draft, as I'm predicting with Sharrif Floyd.

I would have said Landry Jones but he rightfully has fallen in the QB rankings. Honestly, I hate projecting busts. There are so many factors that can contribute (team and situation, how they handle fame/ money, injuries) to a player not living up to their draft status. I will say Ogletree is either going to be a star or huge disappointment. He has all the ability but is a little light and the off the field stuff worries me.

I would have said Landry Jones but he rightfully has fallen in the QB rankings. Honestly, I hate projecting busts. There are so many factors that can contribute (team and situation, how they handle fame/ money, injuries) to a player not living up to their draft status. I will say Ogletree is either going to be a star or huge disappointment. He has all the ability but is a little light and the off the field stuff worries me.

His effort is inconsistent too.

In the Kentucky game this year he was schizophrenic, shying away from contact and seeming uninterested in the first half.

I think the coaches must have yelled at him at halftime because in the second half he was like a man possessed.

In the Georgia Tech game he was a holy terror, just destroying people, flying around the field and drilling people. A few times he picked up the ball carriers and body slammed them.

Ogletree is an incredible talent. He could be used as an outside linebacker and developed as a rushbacker because his athletic ability is off the charts.

Ogletree has more ability in one of his stools than Minter and T'eo combined but he does have questions for sure.

In the Kentucky game this year he was schizophrenic, shying away from contact and seeming uninterested in the first half.

I think the coaches must have yelled at him at halftime because in the second half he was like a man possessed.

In the Georgia Tech game he was a holy terror, just destroying people, flying around the field and drilling people. A few times he picked up the ball carriers and body slammed them.

Ogletree is an incredible talent. He could be used as an outside linebacker and developed as a rushbacker because his athletic ability is off the charts.

Ogletree has more ability in one of his stools than Minter and T'eo combined but he does have questions for sure.

Well said. On paper, he has everything to dominate. But there will always be 2 major red flags with me: character issues and motivation. I can't stand guys who get in trouble multiple times. I also laugh at people who make fun of high motor players. I will take a high motor player almost every time over a more physically talented one who needs to be motivated.

Also, good write-up on Floyd. Let's be honest, Most peopel don't watch line play. So when a d linemen makes a big play, they get looked at like a star. But most DTs only get like 3 tackles a game. There is like 80% of the game where they won't get noticed that can win or lose games. And off the top of my head, it seems DTs have a high bust rate drafted high.

It's still an interesting discussion when a player projected to go high slides down in the draft, as I'm predicting with Sharrif Floyd.

Oh I agree.....but who's projections do we use?

I had a look at eight draft prospect ranking sites(ESPN, NFL(Mayock), DraftTek, SI.com, WalterFootball, SBNation, FFToolbox & DraftCountdown).

There were no consensus top 5 picks and only 2 consensus top 10 picks(Eric Fisher & Dion Jordan).

There were 6 consensus top 15 picks(Star Lotulelei, Ezekiel Ansah, Luke Joeckel & Chance Warmack).

Edited by Dibs

here's some fuel for your fire SJ:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162239/article/draft-buzz-scout-claims-sharrif-floyd-is-overhyped

True. But the game isn't too fast for him at all... I'm not a fan of Brady's, but above the neck, he is hard to beat. -Poised, fearless, accountable, and hungry. Worse still, he's durable, and has game-time smarts. Why the f@#*! can't we ever draft anyone like that?!

You do realize Nassib is considered the smartest of all the top QBs coming out, right? You're also grossly exaggerating his lack of athleticism.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright.

In my spare time I've been watching a lot of videos of the top prospects at this site.

I'm trying to get a good idea of all the players who might be in play for the Bills this year. Sometimes I'll go off on a tangent and watch players that are not likely to be picked by the Bills, just on a whim.

I heard Greg Cosell mention that he thought Shariff Floyd was a possibility to be the first player taken and that he would be a top 5 pick. Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group said that he thinks Floyd will go to the Raiders at #3 so I decided to watch video of Floyd.

The guy sucks. I have no idea what these guys are watching. How is it that a guy who's not even 6'3" can continually get chop blocked by taller players? How is it that a top prospect can get pancaked 6 times in 3 games?

This guy has one asset: pretty good short-area quickness and that's about it.

He has very little power or speed, doesn't use his hands very well, and is a very limited athlete. This all on top of the fact that he's under 6'3" and less than 300 pounds. I watched 3 games of his and it's hard for me to imagine that there's something else I could see in the other games which would change my mind.

When I watch Floyd I'm reminded of Broderick Bunkley and Amobi Okoye and Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey and all the other undersized DTs who supposedly had great leverage and quickness and would be stars in the NFL. All of these guys were highly drafted and failed. So far there's only been one Warren Sapp.

Similarly, Shariff Floyd's underwhelming skills will not translate well to the NFL. He might not be as good as Kyle Williams. He's not as good as recent draftees Corey Liuget or Stephen Paea, IMO.

So I don't understand the buzz for Shariff Floyd. I'd actually be surprised if he was drafted in the top 20 and it wouldn't surprise me if he fell out of the first round. Regardless of where he gets drafted, I predict he'll be a bust.

Who do YOU predict will be a bust in this year's class?

So Floyd ended up being drafted at #23.

TOOT TOOT!!!

(Yes… I am)

So easy...Kiki Mingo

Can't shed blocks, awful against the run, production nowhere near his athletic ability and he is a tweener...I would be more surprised if he was good than a bust

Unfortunately, I agree with this assessment.

Unfortunately, I agree with this assessment.

I have a buddy who's a hard core Browns fan and he is heartbroken at this pick. Every day he tries talking himself into liking it and he always ends up talking about Jarvis Jones going to the Steelers at #17.

Luckily for Mingo, he has Paul Kruger, Cliff Avril, Phil Taylor, Ahtyba Rubin, Jabaal Sheard, D'Qwell Jackson, Joe Haden and a ton of other great D players along with Ray Horton as the coordinator.

Cleveland will have a very strong D and Mingo doesn't have to carry the load. As part of an ensemble he could be a very effective piece.

But yeah, he seems like a talented but very soft player.

Bjoern Werner. FSU defensive ends suck in the NFL other then Boulware. See Andre Wadsworth, Jamal Reynolds and Reinard Wilson I'm on record as saying Braylon Edwards would be a bust in 2005. Maybe not a bust, but has not come close to living up to what the #3 pick in a draft should be.

That would be fine, if you're talking about the old guard and Mickey Andrews' defense that was run under Bobby Bowden. The defensive system and scheme and types of players recruited are completely different after that side of the ball was revamped in 2010 when Fisher took over. Comparing FSU DEs under Andrews (small, fast, chase after the QB) to the ones under Stoops and now Pruitt, (big, powerful, grown ass men) is apple and oranges.

Werner may be a bust, but if he is, its not because he's an "FSU defensive end".

Edited by Ramius

That would be fine, if you're talking about the old guard and Mickey Andrews' defense that was run under Bobby Bowden. The defensive system and scheme and types of players recruited are completely different after that side of the ball was revamped in 2010 when Fisher took over. Comparing FSU DEs under Andrews (small, fast, chase after the QB) to the ones under Stoops and now Pruitt, (big, powerful, grown ass men) is apple and oranges.

Werner may be a bust, but if he is, its not because he's an "FSU defensive end".

I expect Tank Carradine to be the best pass rushing pure defensive end in this draft.

Werner is great and I think Carradine is even better. I cannot believe how cheaply the Niners got him.

edit: And Carradine is also a Seminole… that was my original point.

Alright.

In my spare time I've been watching a lot of videos of the top prospects at this site.

I'm trying to get a good idea of all the players who might be in play for the Bills this year. Sometimes I'll go off on a tangent and watch players that are not likely to be picked by the Bills, just on a whim.

I heard Greg Cosell mention that he thought Shariff Floyd was a possibility to be the first player taken and that he would be a top 5 pick. Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group said that he thinks Floyd will go to the Raiders at #3 so I decided to watch video of Floyd.

The guy sucks. I have no idea what these guys are watching. How is it that a guy who's not even 6'3" can continually get chop blocked by taller players? How is it that a top prospect can get pancaked 6 times in 3 games?

This guy has one asset: pretty good short-area quickness and that's about it.

He has very little power or speed, doesn't use his hands very well, and is a very limited athlete. This all on top of the fact that he's under 6'3" and less than 300 pounds. I watched 3 games of his and it's hard for me to imagine that there's something else I could see in the other games which would change my mind.

When I watch Floyd I'm reminded of Broderick Bunkley and Amobi Okoye and Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey and all the other undersized DTs who supposedly had great leverage and quickness and would be stars in the NFL. All of these guys were highly drafted and failed. So far there's only been one Warren Sapp.

Similarly, Shariff Floyd's underwhelming skills will not translate well to the NFL. He might not be as good as Kyle Williams. He's not as good as recent draftees Corey Liuget or Stephen Paea, IMO.

So I don't understand the buzz for Shariff Floyd. I'd actually be surprised if he was drafted in the top 20 and it wouldn't surprise me if he fell out of the first round. Regardless of where he gets drafted, I predict he'll be a bust.

Who do YOU predict will be a bust in this year's class?

That was a heck of a call on Floyd my friend...Just about everyone and their Mother had him penciled in at #3 overall...You definitely saw something that many scouts saw as well...

Good job!!! :thumbsup:

That was a heck of a call on Floyd my friend...Just about everyone and their Mother had him penciled in at #3 overall...You definitely saw something that many scouts saw as well...

Good job!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks KOK.

Also the scouts ultimately agreed with both of us on EJ Manuel and Matt Barkley.

And while I'm tooting, there was my prediction last year that Bruce Irvin would be taken in the first round, a position that I was ridiculed for on this board by people whose names I could recite. Most "experts" had Irvin as a 3rd rounder but the Seahawks took him at #15.

Rex Ryan told Pete Carroll that if Seattle hadn't taken Irvin that the Jets would have at #16.

Sorry to boast but I need to prop myself up around here. There've been attacks made to my character lately so damn the freaking torpedos and full freaking steam ahead!