Brief insight about our new staff from a current Syracuse player...

Me a geek? Not really. There is life after football where success requires skills that this fellow does not appear to have. I have great sympathy for single parent kids. But you should not use that as a excuse. It won't be an accepable excuse in the business world. This kid is now in college, apparently due mainly to his athletic skills. I hope he spends some time in the classroom acquiring english speaking skills and is able to put his urban slang behind him.

But you should not use that as an excuse...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont get me wrong, it's slightly funny, but not that funny.

This is nothing to laugh about.

I must be weird because I thought it was hilarious.

I see we have alot of English majors on the board who would text everyone that they know personally with perfect Grammer and spelling.

Wrong...Full Academic Scholarship...However I know him personally, and he was texting as he was about to head to a workout with his teammates, but hey you probably only use proper English all the time...So you couldn't relate to a kid who was raised by a single mother and never had his father around. This is Urban life, and if he were speaking to a geek like you then he would be grammatically correct.

Perhaps it would have been better to not copy and paste his text.

This whole reaction was completely predictable if you spend any time on message boards. Had you re-written/paraphrased for your buddy, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

There are many posters on TSW who have no room to laugh at any abuse of the English language. They should instead take a good long introspective look in the proverbial mirror.

+1

I must be weird because I thought it was hilarious.

Perhaps it would have been better to not copy and paste his text.

This whole reaction was completely predictable if you spend any time on message boards. Had you re-written/paraphrased for your buddy, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

You are right, thanks for being an adult..

The word "urban" is generally not capitalized unless it is the first word in a sentence. Just trying to help.

or unless you are talking about Carl Urban, the actor that most recently played judge dredd. i'm not really interested in capitals or spelling, but i read that op like 6 times and came away with a headache. and unfortunately i can't say anyone sounds stupid on this other than society as a whole, text messages suck!

Must be a bunch of old fogies in here :nana:

A lot of smart people my age text like that, it's not an indication of intelligence unless he writes his papers that way.

Old fogies? Maybe. Experienced senior citizen is the term I prefer.

You may be right about texting english vs written or spoken english. I hope his writing and speaking are at another level.

I know a kid who plays at the Cuse right now, and he knows the staff. I asked him about these guys and he gave me a brief introduction about them... I copied and pasted it...

"They a good group together the db coach real he know he know what he doing Marrone a cool dude too it just he gone have to get used to the team and then err thing should be good".

I really hope your joking. He may be a good kid but what a choppy mess that was. When you write that bad it has no credibility. You could of cleaned it up and re capped. Sorry to rain on your parade

It's not much, but this is a great kid and I know he would tell the truth if there was anything bad to say about them.

I know a kid who plays at the Cuse right now, and he knows the staff. I asked him about these guys and he gave me a brief introduction about them... I copied and pasted it...

"They a good group together the db coach real he know he know what he doing Marrone a cool dude too it just he gone have to get used to the team and then err thing should be good".

It's not much, but this is a great kid and I know he would tell the truth if there was anything bad to say about them.

Hold on everyone, I speak jive. Give me a few hours to decipher this.

for everyone's sake, i sincerely hope that no one was called a "jive turkey". i shudder to think of the ensuing violence.

Here is the rest of the tweet.

Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em...

...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!

A lot of smart people my age text like that, it's not an indication of intelligence unless he writes his papers that way.

I text.... a lot. no one texts me nonsense like that - none of that's shorthand, its just poor grammar. The content, even without the grammar issue is really lacking also. Not the end of the world, but lets not rage against those

This thread was the most fun I have had this morning. It's been a crappy morning but maybe this will turn it around. Having taught a few college poly-sci and comm classes in my time I can tell you that writing is becoming a lost art.

Exactly. We old fogies need to stand our ground against unbridled hipsterism.

I realized it was a text at the start, and I know ppl text that way..especially if they are in a hurry...but man i had a good laugh at this thread

try not to get to upset, I know he's your friend and you'll stick up for him, but some of us need a good laugh in the morning and this post just happened to be the catalyst..thx

I'm 24 and I can't stand it when people my age text like that. To me, a text like that just screams "I'm lazy" or I'm stupid".

By far one of my biggest pet peeves